The End Is Near: The Leftovers season 3 thread

Vintage Eclectic

Lord of the Sky
Daps
Reppin
Chi-York
He's not an immortal. They confirmed it with him telling Nora he has a pacemaker now.

This. When Nora questions him about being immortal at the wedding (so your father is immortal also?) he states that he had a condition that went unchecked since he was young. It wasn't until he almost REALLY died (heart attack)that he received the pacemaker. Although they never mentioned what condition Kevin has/had

Nino Soprano

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bmore
She was def bout to yell stop as the scene cut:patrice:

And in the other dimension, the scientist decides to just make a machine because Nora told him to?? :beli:

Nora story is fugazi :sas1:

How she gonna let the homie Kevin suffer for like 15-20 years....he was looking for her every vacation ....didn't even show for her brother funeral smh.....selfish lying ass Nora

Czerka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
im disappointed but mostly because of the tweets posted in this thread last week. the critics overhyped this one. there were far more powerful emotional moments elsewhere in the series, especially this season.

that said i found it to be a satisfying ending to the story. im :mjlol: at people STILL complaining there was no explanation for the supernatural stuff. ALL of that, not just the departure, but everything that happened with kevin, was a platform for exploring human tragedy and other themes. wtf did you expect they were going to say, kevin is actually the new jesus? that would be extremely corny.

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
You know what.....I just went on a long walk and I was thinking about it further and I think I am satisfied.

It reminds me of Arrival, in the sense that I wasn't hugely entertained by the episode itself, but the profound question it poses sticks with me. What if the 'departed' are actually the survivors in their own reality where 98% of the world disappeared? Nora's family are the "lucky ones" because they only lost 1 person. Whoa...shyts kind of crazy to imagine a whole other existence where this show plays out completely different. Kind of has my mind spinning.

That being said, she was definitely lying because her story has too many logical flaws.

I think the problem was just that this was merely a good episode, there were other higher highs that raised expectations too high

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
What if the 'departed' are actually the survivors in their own reality where 98% of the world disappeared? Nora's family are the "lucky ones" because they only lost 1 person. Whoa...shyts kind of crazy to imagine a whole other existence where this show plays out completely different. Kind of has my mind spinning.
:ohlawd:Imagine if the story WAS true and they did a spinoff show about the other 2% in their parallel world trying to move on without 98% of the world population.

Music Fiend

Superstar
Daps

You def have to draw your own conclusion.

IMO it's one of three things.

1) I can make the case that everything happened as she said. But it has so many loose ends. Seems shaky. But doesn't really matter in the end like you say.

2) Theres a lot of evidence that she didn't actually go through, but it didn't matter in the end. THere's all the scenes with her lying, the potential stop, her flashback to her kids didn't feel happy or anious, it almost seemed to allude that Nora wasn't a good mother. There's heavy alluding to honesty and not to mention that all that reall mattered was Kevin believed Nora.

3) It's also possible that they were all dead. Perhaps Nora opened her mouth and died in that chamber. Maybe Kevin died from that "heart attack" (which conveniently left the same scar I assume as the surgery he performed on him). We never see anyone but Nora, Laurie, and Kevin. All of which are very much so plausibly dead. But IMO the most evidence points to them all being dead. Which the biggest giveaway was last episode when Kevin kills himself and sees evie to find out everything is the opposite in the other world. Evie says her family was killed by bombs when in reality she was killed. WHich seems to parallel what Nora says in her story. The two realms were opposite. Nora's story seemed to also resemble what kevin went through in purgatory in the sense both were "reborn", naked into the other world.

Last edited:

OJ Simpsom

Banned
Daps
3) It's also possible that they were all dead. Perhaps Nora opened her mouth and died in that chamber. Maybe Kevin died from that "heart attack" (which conveniently left the same scar I assume as the surgery he performed on him). We never see anyone but Nora, Laurie, and Kevin. All of which are very much so plausibly dead. But IMO the most evidence points to them all being dead. Which the biggest giveaway was last episode when Kevin kills himself and sees evie to find out everything is the opposite in the other world. Evie says her family was killed by bombs when in reality she was killed. WHich seems to parallel what Nora says in her story. The two realms were opposite.

Laurie didn't kill herself. Lindelof already confirmed that. Also, Kevin came back to life at the end of last episode, so we know he didn't die either.

Music Fiend

Superstar
Daps
Laurie didn't kill herself. Lindelof already confirmed that. Also, Kevin came back to life at the end of last episode, so we know he didn't die either.
Your missing the point.

Lindelof left it open to interpretation. You can believe the main plot, but seems all the other episodes were specifically made to challenge that ending which lindelof stated is that they started with and worked backwards.

Kevin didn't die then, but perhaps he died later from the heart attack. Which also makes sense.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Your missing the point.

Lindelof left it open to interpretation. You can believe the main plot, but seems all the other episodes were specifically made to challenge that ending which lindelof stated is that they started with and worked backwards.

Kevin didn't die then, but perhaps he died later from the heart attack. Which also makes sense.
One of the interviews with Lindelof, he said Kevin wasn't dead

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA
God damn it. This interview with Lindelof now makes me 50/50 on whether Nora lied

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-leftovers-finale-damon-lindelof-recap-review/7/

The original plan was to actually show Nora's journey, so at one point in time during the shows writing she was definitely telling the truth. But it was changed.

Thining about all the logical flaws that make me think she is lying, to be honest they can almost ENTIRELY be disregarded by making the statement "the scientist who invented the machine had his own motivations for not sending anyone but Nora back to the other dimension".....this may seem like a copout, but its really not and you could write a whole essay about why this would be the case

God damn this has me going back and forth and I can't stop thinking about it

Now that the expectations arent clouding my judgement, I'm on board with this finale.

Just in the course of writing this post, now I'm at 60/40 that Nora is telling the truth

Its also INCREDIBLY satisfying to know that the writers DO have an answer as to whether she is telling the truth. Even if they never reveal it, I am satisfied that each word of her monologue was combed over meticulously

My ultimate disappointment with having no answers on Lost was that it was blatantly just darts thrown at an idea board. There was no consistent mythology in the end. Knowing that Lindelof HAS THE ANSWER gives me a lot of relief emotionally.

The LeftGOATers will go down in my personal history as a top tier show

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Lindelof strikes again. I haven't seen one episode of this show but the bolded describes him to a T. Imagine him doing this shyt and leading you on for 5 years with Lost and not answering hardly any questions at all. My pressure getting high just thinking about it.
LOST answered a shytload of questions,people just didn't like the answers

This show completely ignored several characters and storylines from previous seasons

To me this show is much more disappointing than LOST