The Coli owes Issa Rae an apology

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am not talking Insecure characters not having drive and ambition...I am talking about their complete and total snobbery which is mainly highlighted in Black women...and the Lawrence's enslavement to female approval....

Like that's some backwards middle class shyt...

Have you noticed...that Lawrence is almost always on the fukking couch...only time we seen himself outside is when conversing with a woman...and that one time in best buy...

Issa and Molly is always talking about some guy or White people...

Would you wanna be around these people? These characters are vapid and they don't do anything worth watching.

Being Mary Jane and Insecure has the same problem...they put a bunch of Black characters with a bunch non-hood credentials...(giving them nice ass jobs and degrees)... then make them totally unlikable...because idk...maybe this is how Black women view Black people...

Maybe if we just got decent jobs and degrees...our only issues in the world will be basic social skills and managing your expectations. Like how hard is it...to take responsibility of your life? How hard is it to realize that your expectations are too high? How hard is it to support your loved ones?

Like if Being Mary Jane and Insecure is how Black women see Black people...then we need to be fukking worried.

Atlanta's characters have character flaws. You don't have to make a character perfect and infallible cause that will be boring...

Like Earn isn't the most responsible person in the world...and he's very aloof and seems like a dikk

Van is neurotic and self-righteous

Paperboy is a hothead

Darius...well...he's super socially awkward

But how they interact with the world and each other...is very human and full of life.

Like when Van dragged Earn to that high society paper and they realized that it was bullshyt...

Like when Darius pawned Earn's shyt...

Like when Paperboy got confronted by that Baby Momma...or he was paid to do an appearance at the club

Like when Van hung out with her thot friend...

These moments reveal something about the character and should reveal something about the very...

Insecure and Being Mary Jane just makes me realize I don't like any of the characters in the show.

Like is relationships that fukking serious? Where is the damn conflict?

Their is nothing out of the ordinary going on with their lives...for them to be so fukked up.

I think Issa would agree with you :yeshrug:That's one of the main points of the show, how these characters who on the surface have their shyt together fukk up their own personal situations through self-sabotage and their own insecurities. As much as the show is about the black middle class it's also showing the flaws of the black middle class, particularly black women, which speaks to my original point about Insecure being way harder on black women then black men, which is why I found the coli's criticism ridiculous.

It sounds like you have more of an issue with the typical middle class black millennial than you do with the show because the show does its job as far as showing an accurate representation of them.

Your criticisms seem to be more with who the show represents than the actual show itself.

Your assessment of Atlanta is on point, not gonna argue with that

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Who cares? Apologize? what the fukk? Nobody owes anyone anything. Shut the fukk up.

Drew Wonder, I bet you are some liberal white dude who likes slumming on the coli, handing out lectures. Goddamn this thread just annoyed me for some reason.

Okay sorry guys, carry on...

Last edited:

Milk N Cookies

(Self-titled) Queen of the Film Room
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Movies and tv shows
tumblr_nd52xjgB4R1tzdhueo3_400.jpg

All that shyt talking on the first two to three pages of the thread only to have the nay sayers come back and acknowledge it's an excellent show.

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
tumblr_nd52xjgB4R1tzdhueo3_400.jpg

All that shyt talking on the first two to three pages of the thread only to have the nay sayers come back and acknowledge it's an excellent show.

I actually like the show. Went back and looked at her old YouTube comments

Or deleted YouTube comments. Either way very vitriol comments towards black males. Simple scraping codes you can find her deleted comments.

They're pretty bad

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Who cares? Apologize? what the fukk? Nobody owes anyone anything. Shut the fukk up.

Drew Wonder, I bet you are some liberal white dude who likes slumming on the coli, handing out lectures. Goddamn this thread just annoyed me for some reason.

Okay sorry guys, carry on...

Get off my dikk

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I think Issa would agree with you :yeshrug:That's one of the main points of the show, how these characters who on the surface have their shyt together fukk up their own personal situations through self-sabotage and their own insecurities. As much as the show is about the black middle class it's also showing the flaws of the black middle class, particularly black women, which speaks to my original point about Insecure being way harder on black women then black men, which is why I found the coli's criticism ridiculous.

It sounds like you have more of an issue with the typical middle class black millennial than you do with the show because the show does its job as far as showing an accurate representation of them.

Your criticisms seem to be more with who the show represents than the actual show itself.

Your assessment of Atlanta is on point, not gonna argue with that

Most Black shows are way harder on Black women...but I don't think Black women sees it as criticism...for them it's drama and fukkery.

Insecure is different though because Black men are treated like shyt for the most part on that show, they are emasculated.

My problem with Insecure and Being Mary Jane is this weird pretentiousness that I am beginning to see as part of the American Black Woman's and Black Middle Class worldview...is that life is nothing but a checkbox...with self-fulfilling tropes...it shows up in these Black women created Black middle class shows...

This representation respectability politics...combined with the unnecessary fukkery...

I am worried that we as Black people get high off drama and being respectable...

That we don't care to understand each other or critique anything we do in an intelligent way...

Cause like...how many of these "nikkas can't get their shyt together...with their romantic life..." do we need?

We created an entire media infrastructure based off of failed romance bullshyt...

And this idealization of Black men being some gateway to a happy life...like what the fukk?

I am starting to think we can't see ourselves as normal. That's why shows like Being Mary Jane and Insecure are dangerous...it denies normalcy. It gives its characters nicer lives than the average Black person but the main characters are fukked up on a scale of 1 to 10, probably a 12. Then the main focus in the show is Black women's idealization of Black men to a path of a happy life...Black people especially Black women are made pathological.

Atlanta is probably the most healthy representation of Black people created by Black people...

godkiller

"We are the Fury"
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I saw that she had a white love interest on here youtube show and the comments she made about black men during that comedy central roundtable. Those two things made me put off her show and anu chances of watching it. And I'm still uninterested in watching that shyt.

This. She burned her bridges with me. I won't watch after what she said about black men.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
Most Black shows are way harder on Black women...but I don't think Black women sees it as criticism...for them it's drama and fukkery.

Insecure is different though because Black men are treated like shyt for the most part on that show, they are emasculated.

My problem with Insecure and Being Mary Jane is this weird pretentiousness that I am beginning to see as part of the American Black Woman's and Black Middle Class worldview...is that life is nothing but a checkbox...with self-fulfilling tropes...it shows up in these Black women created Black middle class shows...

This representation respectability politics...combined with the unnecessary fukkery...

I am worried that we as Black people get high off drama and being respectable...

That we don't care to understand each other or critique anything we do in an intelligent way...

Cause like...how many of these "nikkas can't get their shyt together...with their romantic life..." do we need?

We created an entire media infrastructure based off of failed romance bullshyt...

And this idealization of Black men being some gateway to a happy life...like what the fukk?

I am starting to think we can't see ourselves as normal. That's why shows like Being Mary Jane and Insecure are dangerous...it denies normalcy. It gives its characters nicer lives than the average Black person but the main characters are fukked up on a scale of 1 to 10, probably a 12. Then the main focus in the show is Black women's idealization of Black men to a path of a happy life...Black people especially Black women are made pathological.

Atlanta is probably the most healthy representation of Black people created by Black people...
But Atlanta is filled to the brim with stereotypes of black shows of yesteryear also. It maybe told totally different, but there's been more than enough shows about the black underdogs just trying to "make it" day by day. Both Atlanta and Insecure follow storylines that have been done before regarding black people. But at the same time, both shows have given a unique take on common tropes in black television. And for that, both shows deserve all the hype they're getting.

1thouwow

Poster of the Year
Daps
I fukk with the show. I didn't know y'all "black male" was that sensitive to what "black Queens" said. And it still isn't in a portrayed in a bashful manner.