The Coli owes Issa Rae an apology

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Both stories are truths. Saying one is better for worse than the other is just being mean.

Everybody's struggling no matter what they try to tell themselves

I think Atlanta is a better show, just on an artistic level, but people calling out Insecure's representation of black people and praising Atlanta is absolute bullshyt

Warren Moon

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think Atlanta is a better show, just on an artistic level, but people calling out Insecure's representation of black people and praising Atlanta is absolute bullshyt

No Atlanta is a ten times better visual, reality, artistic and captures black ppls rag to riches in a blink of eye lifestyle, wonderment and possible capalization. I get it and its the best black show I've seen in my short lifetime off top:wow:

Insecure gives black women a voice. The voice that is always in the corner and never even talked to. Then a voice that even has a voice, a viewpoint no one gives a shyt about until u listen to it.

Look I engage and love black women, or atleast thought I did. But the show is very surface level and I'm like :ehh: didn't know this about the ones I love :snoop:

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
I'm really not sure if you watched or if you were paying attention because you're calling the characters on Insecure incompetent yet propping up Atlanta, a show featuring a dude who is basically homeless and who constantly fukks up, a show featuring a rapper/drug dealer who can't control his emotions and is constantly involved in crime and fukkery, a show featuring a woman who tries to cheat on a drug test, accidentally pours piss on herself and then snitches on herself and gets herself fired

Yet Insecure, the show in which all the characters have decent careers and educations, aren't involved in any crime, is the one with the subpar, incompetent black characters :russ:get the fukk outta here

Uh nooo...see once again...you talking about what the characters do and instead of who they are...

Which is why Black cinema and TV fukking sucks...for the most part...Atlanta might change that...

Black people care more about representation and stereotypes than character...

Issa's character is a average looking, below average job having, degree having Black woman that think she deserves better in life...but puts the onus of having better in life on her boyfriend not herself

Her boyfriend is extremely reliant on female approval and gratitude or he'll completely shutdown...

Issa's best friend is a bougie ass, stuck up bytch...

Yet they all have degrees and jobs and completely fukking dysfunctional people...they just don't have character flaws...they are completely dysfunctional...

Compare that to the characters on Atlanta....

They might be in a shytty socioeconomic situation...but they aren't shytty people...

Earn is a go getter...he'll be homeless even though he could stay at his baby momma's house...he isn't like Issa's boyfriend, sitting on the couch being a fukking bytch...getting emasculated by his girlfriend.

Earn's baby momma isn't working some shytty job with a bullshyt ass degree...wanting Earn to somehow enrich her life...she takes the onus upon herself...she isn't taking out her life frustrations out on Earn.

Paper Boy may be in the hood...but at least he is trying to make something of himself with rapping

All the main characters in Insecure are weak people. There's nothing admirable about any one of them...Insecure really reminds me of people that I need to stay away from. I wouldn't fukk with any of the main characters on that show...

Insecure has more to say about the character of young middle class Black people...than Black male/female relationships...

Black middle class people are shallow, weak and not internally motivated...

Last edited:

PartyHeart

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Really? I thought this the first few episodes into Insecure then saw it the exact opposite way. I agree that its better artistically but it pretty much stops there.

Anyway they're both great shows though. I'm happy for both Issa and Donald because we need these type of realistic portrayals of different types of Black people.

(Lean Ambrose)

" Your all going to diiiiiie, pew pew pew"
Daps
Reppin
Go fukk yourself, Midwest
Like i said wait till season two... she playing chess. Next year she'll be doing interviews saying, "i'm tackling the interracial dating problem many Black women go through"..

09rae5-master675-v2.jpg

I can read her mind... "oh my god, i'm swirling. I don't mind the smell. I love dogs. Black Girl Magic. Intersectionality."

yGkwmAj.png

I'm not easily fooled like the rest of you nikkas. Remember this post.
Oooooh it's one of them joints?...:ohhh:
Naaaaw son I'll pass... :ld:
Sistas can have this desperate shyt...:hubie:

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Really? I thought this the first few episodes into Insecure then saw it the exact opposite way. I agree that its better artistically but it pretty much stops there.

Anyway they're both great shows though. I'm happy for both Issa and Donald because we need these type of realistic portrayals of different types of Black people.

I actually thought Insecure started out weak and then ended strongly whereas Atlanta started out strong but I was disappointed by the last few episodes, thought it left way too many important plot points unresolved, mainly Paper Boi and his legal situations which seemed to be completely ignored. But, I thought Atlanta just took more risks which paid off more often than not. The surrealism, the unconventional narrative choices, the random quirkiness(ie. Darius), just things that I'm not used to seeing in a show centered on black people on mainstream TV. Insecure on the other hand plays it pretty safe from an artistic standpoint and I don't think it's as groundbreaking or impressive in that regard

But I think they're both great shows, and like someone else said I'm not trying to prop them against one another. Just pointing out the flawed logic of being critical about the so-called black male bashing in one show while propping up the other

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Uh nooo...see once again...you talking about what the characters do and instead of who they are...

Which is why Black cinema and TV fukking sucks...for the most part...Atlanta might change that...

Black people care more about representation and stereotypes than character...

Issa's character is a average looking, below average job having, degree having Black woman that think she deserves better in life...but puts the onus of having better in life on her boyfriend not herself

Her boyfriend is extremely reliant on female approval and gratitude or he'll completely shutdown...

Issa's best friend is a bougie ass, stuck up bytch...

Yet they all have degrees and jobs and completely fukking dysfunctional people...they just don't have character flaws...they are completely dysfunctional...

Compare that to the characters on Atlanta....

They might be in a shytty socioeconomic situation...but they aren't shytty people...

Earn is a go getter...he'll be homeless even though he could stay at his baby momma's house...he isn't like Issa's boyfriend, sitting on the couch being a fukking bytch...getting emasculated by his girlfriend.

Earn's baby momma isn't working some shytty job with bullshyt ass degree...wanting Earn to somehow enrich her life...she takes the onus upon herself...she isn't taking out her life frustrations out on Earn.

Paper Boy may be in the hood...but at least he is trying to make something of himself with rapping

All the main characters in Insecure are weak people. There's nothing admirable about any one of them...Insecure really reminds of people that I need to stay away from. I wouldn't fukk with any of the main characters on that show...

Insecure has more to say about the character of young middle class Black people...than Black male/female relationships...

Black middle class people are shallow, weak and not internally motivated...

This is actually a great response :ohhh:props for that

But I think you're letting your own personal biases and hatred of the black middle class cloud your judgement here. Still don't buy your argument that Lawrence has no ambition. YES, he had moments of uncertainty and self-doubt like the average person but in the end he got his shyt together and achieved his goal. You're also going way too easy on Earn who does have his moments of ambition but also has his moments of being a complete bullshyter who uses people(mainly Paper Boi) It's the reason why his parents wouldn't let him live with them at the beggining.

Issa's character is actually my least favorite on the show, she annoys the hell out of me but PLEASE don't act like Van is some angel. She comes across as incredibly self-righteous and judgmental of Earn when the episode where she got fired proves she can be just as much of a fukkup as he is

I agree with you that Atlanta's approach to black characters is pretty revolutionary and more groundbreaking than Insecure in that regard

PartyHeart

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I actually thought Insecure started out weak and then ended strongly whereas Atlanta started out strong but I was disappointed by the last few episodes, thought it left way too many important plot points unresolved, mainly Paper Boi and his legal situations which seemed to be completely ignored. But, I thought Atlanta just took more risks which paid off more often than not. The surrealism, the unconventional narrative choices, the random quirkiness(ie. Darius), just things that I'm not used to seeing in a show centered on black people on mainstream TV. Insecure on the other hand plays it pretty safe from an artistic standpoint and I don't think it's as groundbreaking or impressive in that regard

But I think they're both great shows, and like someone else said I'm not trying to prop them against one another. Just pointing out the flawed logic of being critical about the so-called black male bashing in one show while propping up the other

On point analysis. I agree with all of it.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
This is actually a great response :ohhh:props for that

But I think you're letting your own personal biases and hatred of the black middle class cloud your judgement here. Still don't buy your argument that Lawrence has no ambition. YES, he had moments of uncertainty and self-doubt like the average person but in the end he got his shyt together and achieved his goal. You're also going way too easy on Earn who does have his moments of ambition but also has his moments of being a complete bullshyter who uses people(mainly Paper Boi) It's the reason why his parents wouldn't let him live with them at the beggining.

Issa's character is actually my least favorite on the show, she annoys the hell out of me but PLEASE don't act like Van is some angel. She comes across as incredibly self-righteous and judgmental of Earn when the episode where she got fired proves she can be just as much of a fukkup as he is

I agree with you that Atlanta's approach to black characters is pretty revolutionary and more groundbreaking than Insecure in that regard

I am not talking Insecure characters not having drive and ambition...I am talking about their complete and total snobbery which is mainly highlighted in Black women...and the Lawrence's enslavement to female approval....

Like that's some backwards middle class shyt...

Have you noticed...that Lawrence is almost always on the fukking couch...only time we seen himself outside is when conversing with a woman...and that one time in best buy...

Issa and Molly is always talking about some guy or White people...

Would you wanna be around these people? These characters are vapid and they don't do anything worth watching.

Being Mary Jane and Insecure has the same problem...they put a bunch of Black characters with a bunch non-hood credentials...(giving them nice ass jobs and degrees)... then make them totally unlikable...because idk...maybe this is how Black women view Black people...

Maybe if we just got decent jobs and degrees...our only issues in the world will be basic social skills and managing expectations. Like how hard is it...to take responsibility of your life? How hard is it to realize that your expectations are too high? How hard is it to support your loved ones?

Like if Being Mary Jane and Insecure is how Black women see Black people...then we need to be fukking worried.

Atlanta's characters have character flaws. You don't have to make a character perfect and infallible cause that will be boring...

Like Earn isn't the most responsible person in the world...and he's very aloof and seems like a dikk

Van is neurotic and self-righteous

Paperboy is a hothead

Darius...well...he's super socially awkward

But how they interact with the world and each other...is very human and full of life.

Like when Van dragged Earn to that high society paper and they realized that it was bullshyt...

Like when Darius pawned Earn's shyt...

Like when Paperboy got confronted by that Baby Momma...or he was paid to do an appearance at the club

Like when Van hung out with her thot friend...

These moments reveal something about the character and should reveal something about the very...

Insecure and Being Mary Jane just makes me realize I don't like any of the characters in the show.

Like is relationships that fukking serious? Where is the damn conflict?

Their is nothing out of the ordinary going on with their lives...for them to be so fukked up.

Last edited: