The Coli Movie Club: You're Next

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Yea that was the point of Cabin in the Woods and I enjoyed it because as the audience, we are ultimately responsible for all the garbage horror movies we get because we fund the profits for them...I appreciated Whedon giving a fukk you to everyone that continues to fund non-original, hackneyed, and lazy horror movies. It needed to be said.

I know, I guess I just wasn't expecting to be cussed out like that. lol. I was salty when I left the theatre.:birdman:

Wow there are like two other people now who feel how I feel about Cabin in the Woods. It's not that I don't like it but I agree with you that it's too pleased with itself almost to the point of being smug. It points out the tropes of horror, sits back with its arms folded and raises an eyebrow at you...smug b*stard

That's the perfect word for it - smug. There's something to be said for subtlety and not treating the audience like they're morons that need to be beaten over the head.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I know, I guess I just wasn't expecting to be cussed out like that. lol. I was salty when I left the theatre.:birdman:

That's the perfect word for it - smug. There's something to be said for subtlety and not treating the audience like they're morons that need to be beaten over the head.

Now I don't mind being taken to task as an audience member at all but the smugness of it just didn't work for me. I still like the movie but yeah that smugness can :camby:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Wow there are like two other people now who feel how I feel about Cabin in the Woods. It's not that I don't like it but I agree with you that it's too pleased with itself almost to the point of being smug. It points out the tropes of horror, sits back with its arms folded and raises an eyebrow at you...smug b*stard
And I have no problems with that at all, especially in this Nadir period for horror films. If somebody doesn't call out the audience for supporting bullshyt, who will? Nobody and then the degeneracy and non-originality will continue.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Now I don't mind being taken to task as an audience member at all but the smugness of it just didn't work for me. I still like the movie but yeah that smugness can :camby:

I don't see the so-called smugness that you saw so I guess we agree to disagree with that. Just because a movie is overtly explicit about its message and smart at the same time doesn't mean its smug, but that's just me.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
And I have no problems with that at all, especially in this Nadir period for horror films. If somebody doesn't call out the audience for supporting bullshyt, who will? Nobody and then the degeneracy and non-originality will continue.

Again breh no problem with being called out just the smugness rubs me the wrong way:whoknows: it doesn't deconstruct anything..it's the guy in the movie theater saying "oh yeah I know how this is going to end" and he just sits back and waits with that look on his face as the movie unfolds and then he says "told ya so" and you want to punch him in the face. I can still like the movie but have some issues with it

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Again breh no problem with being called out just the smugness rubs me the wrong way:whoknows: it doesn't deconstruct anything..it's the guy in the movie theater saying "oh yeah I know how this is going to end" and he just sits back and waits with that look on his face as the movie unfolds and then he says "told ya so" and you want to punch him in the face. I can still like the movie but have some issues with it

I'm asking where did you see the "smugness" at?

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I'm asking where did you see the "smugness" at?

The ending and just the overall tone of the movie and the script. It attempts to be a deconstruction of horror but it doesn't deconstruct; it points out the tropes and just says "yeah look at that" which is where the smugness comes from. Scream could've been that same type of thing but it actually took the tropes of the genre, turned them on their head a bit and managed to have tongue firmly in cheek. Cabin in the Woods has it's tongue wagging at you on some Dennis the Menace shyt :russ: which again, doesn't mean I don't like the movie because I do but I'm a firm believer in not thinking everything I like is a bed of roses and that its shyt don't stink every now and then. Scream and New nightmare to an extent deconstruct horror which I get more out of than a flick that just points them out to me.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
The ending and just the overall tone of the movie and the script. It attempts to be a deconstruction of horror but it doesn't deconstruct; it points out the tropes and just says "yeah look at that" which is where the smugness comes from. Scream could've been that same type of thing but it actually took the tropes of the genre, turned them on their head a bit and managed to have tongue firmly in cheek. Cabin in the Woods has it's tongue wagging at you on some Dennis the Menace shyt :russ: which again, doesn't mean I don't like the movie because I do but I'm a firm believer in not thinking everything I like is a bed of roses and that its shyt don't stink every now and then. Scream and New nightmare to an extent deconstruct horror which I get more out of than a flick that just points them out to me.

I see what you are saying but I feel that Cabin in the Woods deconstructs horror in a much more clever way than Scream does, but both films are masterpieces...See, I believe that the explicit tongue in cheek approach is needed at this time as we approach a true nadir in horror. Yea Scream and New Nightmare were somewhat subtle about it (New Nightmare actually wasn't very subtle imo), but Cabin in the Woods was much more complex, looking at how life is ultimately drained by the copious amounts of drone like behavior and materialism that we are force fed on a daily basis...I'm an anti-capitalist, so i saw lots of powerful statements in Cabin in the Woods that resonate with society today, much more than Scream and New Nightmare.

And the ending was absolutely perfect imo. If it was any different, I would have been pissed off. Perfect ending.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I see what you are saying but I feel that Cabin in the Woods deconstructs horror in a much more clever way than Scream does, but both films are masterpieces...See, I believe that the explicit tongue in cheek approach is needed at this time as we approach a true nadir in horror. Yea Scream and New Nightmare were somewhat subtle about it (New Nightmare actually wasn't very subtle imo), but Cabin in the Woods was much more complex, looking at how life is ultimately drained by the copious amounts of drone like behavior and materialism that we are force fed on a daily basis...I'm an anti-capitalist, so i saw lots of powerful statements in Cabin in the Woods that resonate with society today, much more than Scream and New Nightmare.

And the ending was absolutely perfect imo. If it was any different, I would have been pissed off. Perfect ending.

But that's what I'm saying..to me, it doesn't deconstruct anything. You don't deconstruct when you point something out. By me telling you a trope of superhero flicks is that the good guy saves the woman in the 3rd act, that's not me deconstructing anything. An indictment of fans isn't deconstructing, it's just an observation.

showtime

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Another thing is has cell phones ruined horror movies? Back in the day someone just cuts the phone line and it's believable nowadays it's hilarious to see movies try to get around this.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I tried watching it last night but I turned it off, maybe I was too tired or something, I found it to be generic and boring lmao at them not just crawling on the floor under the windows, idk, shyt was stupid to me. maybe i need to wait til i start smoking again before doing this movie club challenges. dudes older brother was a complete a$$hole, i have no will to try to rewatch it at all :manny:

Last edited: