The Coli Movie Club: You're Next

Floyd Pinkerton

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Caught this one in theatres, actually. Didn't do it for me :manny:. I appreciate black humor and ultra violence in a horror flick as much as the next guy, but beyond that I was very underwhelmed.

What's more glaring for me were the serious pacing issues. Considering this film is under 100 minutes in length, it should not drag as much as it did.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Caught this one in theatres, actually. Didn't do it for me :manny:. I appreciate black humor and ultra violence in a horror flick as much as the next guy, but beyond that I was very underwhelmed.

What's more glaring for me were the serious pacing issues. Considering this film is under 100 minutes in length, it should not drag as much as it did.

You felt it dragged? Interesting breh. Where at? Without saying too much obviously

Remy LeBreh

Linconia
Daps
Reppin
CLB/CLE/ALB
Dope flick:obama:

Nice pick for the movie club too, cats were extra pretentious with the last few selections. nikkas are going to HATE what I pick when it's my turn:heh:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Dope flick:obama:

Nice pick for the movie club too, cats were extra pretentious with the last few selections. nikkas are going to HATE what I pick when it's my turn:heh:

Well we switched over to horror so the horror flicks are going to be easier to deal with. And I don't think it got pretentious breh, just dudes trying to expand horizons etc. I ain't mad at it.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Haven't watched this since I saw it in theaters, this is what I thought then, I may include this in my horror moves for October, and watch again..

I liked this, it's passable summer horror fare, maybe slightly above...it's not anywhere near the level of 'Cabin In the Woods', meta/satire/send up/deconstruction, but it's a clever, gruesome little movie, that hardly brings anything new to the table, but acknowledges that, and has some fun with the genre, while leaving the audience with a moderately scary thriller, taunt, tense, an appropriately modern score, sparse/electronic/industrial, and some pretty funny moments, black, bloody humor. Also, a few overt nods to 'Night Of The Living Dead' and 'Rear Window', which I caught, and probably a few more, I didn't. The twists add very little, and are pretty easy to figure out, and theres some kills that were overboard, and none of it holds up to much scrutiny, I felt they could have ratcheted the tension from the domestic unrest between the family a few more turns, before going into the hunt/kill part...and maybe offered a more compelling twist or motivation, better acting too...whatever, I liked the Australian women, and the dude with the arrow in his back was hilarious....worth seeing if a fan of the genre, if not, I'd pass. I think overall, I enjoyed this better then 'The Conjuring', which was pretty tame and had some of the same flaws, without the humor and the in jokes.

Last edited:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Haven't watched this since I saw it in theaters, this is what I thought then, I may include this in my horror moves for October, but this is what I thought then….

I liked this, it's passable summer horror fare, maybe slightly above...it's not anywhere near the level of 'Cabin In the Woods', meta/satire/send up/deconstruction, but it's a clever, gruesome little movie, that hardly brings anything new to the table, but acknowledges that, and has some fun with the genre, while leaving the audience with a moderately scary thriller, taunt, tense, an appropriately modern score, sparse/electronic/industrial, and some pretty funny moments, black, bloody humor. Also, a few overt nods to 'Night Of The Living Dead' and 'Rear Window', which I caught, and probably a few more, I didn't. The twists add very little, and are pretty easy to figure out, and theres some kills that were overboard, and none of it holds up to much scrutiny, I felt they could have ratcheted the tension from the domestic unrest between the family a few more turns, before going into the hunt/kill part...and maybe offered a more compelling twist or motivation, better acting too...whatever, I liked the Australian women, and the dude with the arrow in his back was hilarious....worth seeing if a fan of the genre, if not, I'd pass. I think overall, I enjoyed this better then 'The Conjuring', which was pretty tame and had some of the same flaws, without the humor and the in jokes.

Cabin in the Woods>>>>>>>>>>>>Let Me In>>>>>>>>>>You're Next>Here Comes the Devil>Berberian Sound Studio>The Conjuring