The biggest damage Diddy did to hip hop was when....

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado
Reb isn't saying that Diddy created "hating" or was the first person to use the term. He's saying Diddy was the first to weaponize it to deflect legitimate criticism.

Additionally, you can be the person to popularize something even if you did not originate it; for better or worse, the argument could be made that he was/is a bigger star than anyone mentioned in the thread.

People on here will engage in wilful misinterpretation for no reason.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Prior to that, criticism meant something.

Criticism =/= saying someone's music is trash. At best, it is destructive criticism, which isn't asking for improvement, but disrespect and dismissal. Nobody's saying you have to like it. "If I don't like it, I don't like it, that don't mean that I'm hating"--- Common.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hiphop was ruined behind this shield. You couldn't call out biting, clones, no flow, off beat, simple rhymes, corny etc. Flood gate opened and now we have next to no classic songs and no quality control.

All of this was called out during and after Puff's run.

The quality of music is subjective. Technology killed off the quality of music because it made us as fans lazy. The cassette era made it mandatory for an album to be a cohesive listening experienced on which every song was meant to be played. When the CD replaced cassettes, we just skipped to whatever song and or go straight to the singles. I mean, people didn't even refer to the name of the songs just the track number. So we got 20 songs where 3-7 were crazy, 3-4 were skits or intros/outros, and the rest was filler. Digital downloads and ringtones killed the album. And now we have streaming.

I guarantee you there is a correlation between when cassettes became obsolete and the decline in the quality of music.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Criticism =/= saying someone's music is trash.
You're doing too much and seem to be the only on in here with the anything goes thing. There was a time where we gatekeeped our music by having standards. One is free to like what they like but a consensus existed based on skill and quality and many fell short of it and those who met it, their music still stands out to this day.

You keep posting as if its an attempt to take away someones right to like shytty music. Folks are free to enjoy shytty music but there was a time where saying "it's shytty music" was said by people often enough to where shytty music stayed in its place....in the trash.

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Where's the reference for him popularizing the term? Haters have been around since before Christ.
Yup. I forget what book of the Bible it was, but I was reading in it the other day where one of the apostles said to Thomas, and I quote: "Man, you are bugging. You're just hating on Jesus because he is the son of the Lord. Don't doubt or hate Jesus, hate the game."

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All of this was called out during and after Puff's run.

The quality of music is subjective. Technology killed off the quality of music because it made us as fans lazy. The cassette era made it mandatory for an album to be a cohesive listening experienced on which every song was meant to be played. When the CD replaced cassettes, we just skipped to whatever song and or go straight to the singles. I mean, people didn't even refer to the name of the songs just the track number. So we got 20 songs where 3-7 were crazy, 3-4 were skits or intros/outros, and the rest was filler. Digital downloads and ringtones killed the album. And now we have streaming.

I guarantee you there is a correlation between when cassettes became obsolete and the decline in the quality of music.
I stopped buying cassettes in the very early 90s. Wu, Big, Nas, Pac, Outkast, Scarface, Bootcamp, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Goodie Mob, AZ, 8ball and MJG, Bone Thugs, Redman, etc. etc. predominately sold the majority of their albums on CD. Puff's run began around 97 and the quality of hiphop took a nosedive since.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Where's the reference for him popularizing the term? Haters have been around since before Christ.

No.

Diddy misappropriated the term using grief from big.

the term was originally Playa hating and puff misappropriated the term. shortening playahatin in to hatin.

Which like the threadstarter said.

Made it so culturally hiphop.
had no protection mechanism from wackness.

Leading exactly.
as to why things were the way they are now.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Hiphop was ruined behind this shield. You couldn't call out biting, clones, no flow, off beat, simple rhymes, corny etc. Flood gate opened and now we have next to no classic songs and no quality control.

This.

DEL ON BOO BOO HEADS :
ALL UV DIS
ALL US DIS

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Very on point thread.

I remember Common saying this back when his third album was dropping. He said you can't even call something wack anymore because now that makes you a hater. And it's true. That nonsense has lasted to present times, where if you say someone is trash that means you're either a hater or "old". It's like you can't even not like certain music anymore without it being turned against you.

Truth be told, that's why so many of the OG's are scared to speak out today and call out wackness. They're scared. The few that do, always have to preface sh*t like "I'm not hating or anything, but I think...". So without that truth being told about the music now, mad wack sh*t drops constantly and nobody wants to speak about it.

All uv dis

All uv dis

Art Barr

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You're doing too much and seem to be the only on in here with the anything goes thing. There was a time where we gatekeeped our music by having standards. One is free to like what they like but a consensus existed based on skill and quality and many fell short of it and those who met it, their music still stands out to this day.

You keep posting as if its an attempt to take away someones right to like shytty music. Folks are free to enjoy shytty music but there was a time where saying "it's shytty music" was said by people often enough to where shytty music stayed in its place....in the trash.

Then there was a poor job gate keeping then, because garbage was dropped in every era and a lot of it was bigger than what was praised during said era.

Who are you or anyone to question one's taste in music? That is my point. The same logic you are using is the same kne used by snobs who dismissed Hip Hop as "jungle music" or didn't even consider it music at all.

I'm sure there are a lot of people who never liked 95 South or 69 Boyz or amy of the Bass artists. Some of those songs are still played today, so it didn't stay "in the trash". I love It Was Written, but according to you, it's a trash album because gatekeepers in real time dismissed it as commercial trash, which prompted him to comeback in 1999 with "Hate Me Now" featuring Puff responding to critics.