The biggest damage Diddy did to hip hop was when....

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
...he popularized the term "hating." This was in the late 90s.

He took a lot of flack after BIG died, especially in NY. Then he started throwing that term around where it ended up erasing gatekeepers of hip-hop from calling trash....trash. And now we are living with it.
That’s some southern shyt breh

Shout out to Lord Infamous :blessed:

This is from 95 :mjgrin:

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
That’s some southern shyt breh

Shout out to Lord Infamous :blessed:

This is from 95 :mjgrin:

they weren’t using the term in the manner that I’m speaking on. That term was Weaponized to blunt legitimate criticism. That’s what puff did. That’s what I was going to write in a piece in the late 90s.

The term “woke” has been around for years, but we know how people have recently Weaponized the word. That’s my point. I heard the term player hate it for years. But I’m speaking on how puff Weaponized it to blunt criticism.

If you erase Legit criticism, you erase standards, and the result would be faulty shyt, it’s no coincidence that the golden era of hip-hop died with the appearance of that word

Tommy Gibbs

All Star
Daps
...he popularized the term "hating." This was in the late 90s.

He took a lot of flack after BIG died, especially in NY. Then he started throwing that term around where it ended up erasing gatekeepers of hip-hop from calling trash....trash. And now we are living with it.
I been saying that shyt for decades. Cuz you had a no talent azz mfer like Puff calling anyone a "hater" if you criticize him. Now that term is always used to brainless mfers when you don't like the shytty music they do.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
@NYC Rebel the hook is literally “This for all you playa hataz that be talking that shyt”

I’m sorry but I don’t see how that’s different than the way Diddy used it. They were all talking about their critics.

NYC Rebel

Daps
@NYC Rebel the hook is literally “This for all you playa hataz that be talking that shyt”

I’m sorry but I don’t see how that’s different than the way Diddy used it. They were all talking about their critics.
Again… People who were considered player haters were those who hated on folks for what they possessed (women, money, clothes, etc). Puff and company started using “haters” to nullify someone possessing a criticism.

Criticism.

Those are two different things in how they were used. And what people had more criticism for someone’s rap than New Yorkers?

One thing people never get about this place is that we criticize our own just as much as we criticize everyone else and Puff got his fair share.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Again… People who were considered player haters were those who hated on folks for what they possessed (women, money, clothes, etc). Puff and company started using “haters” to nullify someone possessing a criticism.

Criticism.

Those are two different things in how they were used. And what people had more criticism for someone’s rap than New Yorkers?

One thing people never get about this place is that we criticize our own just as much as we criticize everyone else and Puff got his fair share.
You got some weird fetish for trying to have NY claim everything, but both mean the same. people were hating on them on a street and a rap level because they weren’t lyrical and rapped crazy shyt. Look up the history of Memphis rap, also tie that into the fact the city has a distinct player-pimp culture, and you will see that Diddy appropriated that shyt.

Diddy’s haters were talking shyt about him, criticisms whether warranted or unwarranted. Infamous is doing the same.

NYC Rebel

Daps
You got some weird fetish for trying to have NY claim everything,
what the fukk is New York about saying puff did shyt and used the word in a manner different than how you were using it? Can you process what I said because I would love for you to counter that so we can have a real conversation. I don’t give a fukk about the origin of how player hater was used. I’m talking about how “hating” was co-opted by Puff to nullify criticisms around someone “as an MC.”

This is the origins of the word being co-opted (which Puff did), NOT the word itself.

They are not the same. Good Lord……

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
It was supposedly a Richmond rapper named Filthy Phil who first said playa hater on wax in 90’, but I remember it being more popularized after Too Short (Ant Banks) on “I’m a Player”

Filthy Phil is the first one to put it on wax, but Pooh Man was the first to introduce it to a wider audience by making a song out of it back in ‘92

NYC Rebel

Daps
What is it about this whole origin story of the term player hater? I’m talking about when the term was co-opted to blunt criticism of someone as an MC or a blunt criticism of someone saying an MCs work was subpar.

Puff that started that bullshyt.

RickyDiBiase

The Sword of Jesus of Nazareth
Daps
Reppin
Cbus
It was the shiny suit pop bullshyt. He was the main reason Will Smith created getting jiggy wit it. He took the torch from MC Hammer and took commercializing rap to a whole new level.
Diddy a clown ass bytch made nikka but Getting Jiggy With it slander is not the move my brother

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Puff's use of playa hayer and the narrative surrounding didn't stop the criticism of him though. The criticism changed nothing. Player hating didn't stop the game changing again when X and The Ruff Ryders moved Puff and Bad Boy out of the top spot. Puff came back in 1999 with the 1997 formula and was a flop.

Internally, it didn't stop Mase from talking about how he never liked "Can't Nobody Hold Me Down" and he's featured on that song.