The biggest damage Diddy did to hip hop was when....

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Non-black guy in his feelings acting as if “only one matters” was said by someone other than him.

Hip hop was better when Black people were gatekeepers of their own culture.

The most ignorant posters on this site are often the ones who use race to deflect their inadequacies in arguing a point. I will let you cook though and continue to make yourself look stupid.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
The most ignorant posters on this site are often the ones who use race to deflect their inadequacies in arguing a point.
Youre a white boy who arrogantly spoke on my culture and the standards we carried

Im not surprised that you say this. You were on the outside looking in of our culture and feel that since you were there long enough that you can speak on it. The same wack shyt that Vlad does.

And its not just a matter of race…its of culture.

You are not of the culture to be speaking on our standards

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
I been saying that shyt for decades. Cuz you had a no talent azz mfer like Puff calling anyone a "hater" if you criticize him. Now that term is always used to brainless mfers when you don't like the shytty music they do.
How did he have no talent. He was a tastemaker for a minute. Didnt dude help give Jodeci their Iconic style. Help mold Usher into a superstar. Helped make Mary J Blige and Faith. 112. Dude was also a choreographer. Yeh he might not produce the beats but he had the ear, and knew how to handle the artists even if he was harsh and an a$$hole. Puff paid his dues.

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Youre a white boy who arrogantly spoke on my culture and the standards we carried

Im not surprised that you say this. You were on the outside looking in of our culture and feel that since you were there long enough that you can speak on it. The same wack shyt that Vlad does.

And its not just a matter of race…its of culture.

You are not of the culture to be speaking on our standards

Your whole approach to this was one of arrogance and is still arrogant. And even when the discussion was about the culture, you side stepped because when the culture was when Common made "I Used To Love Her" in 1994 and The Roots dropped "What They Do" in 1996 and The Fugees were dissing rappers for imitating Al Capone on "Ready or Not", it all predated Puff's reign and included artists that are celebrated. And Common, The Fugees, and The Roots were all dissed for calling it out. You sidestepped that fact. Why?

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
Yo IDGAF what anybody say when the DEVIL Tupac was promoting Thug Life and wearing bandanas, smoking weed and drinking forties and jail.

Puff was promoting folks having fun, dancing, rnb songs about love, and popping champagne and luxury ASHY to Classy lifestyle. . And Puff seemed to be specifically there to counter Thug Life...remember he said ALL the Thugs is Dead or in Jail...or they bout to be.

Yall cherish 2pac but say Puff was the bad guy. LMFAO! If anything Puff helped save shyt for a hot minute IMO. One guy encouraging you to call yourself thugs. The other warning you what happens to people who are thugs or proclaim themselves to be such. Who's the real bad guy here.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Your whole approach to this was one of arrogance and is still arrogant. And even when the discussion was about the culture, you side stepped because when the culture was when Common made "I Used To Love Her" in 1994 and The Roots dropped "What They Do" in 1996 and The Fugees were dissing rappers for imitating Al Capone on "Ready or Not", it all predated Puff's reign and included artists that are celebrated. And Common, The Fugees, and The Roots were all dissed for calling it out. You sidestepped that fact. Why?

Im going to site something for you:

“ And that brings us to the other major factor in hip hop’s death as a culture: It lost control of its own discourse, which guarantees incoherence and dilution. The tension between discourse and content—which plagues all art and media, all public intellectualism, and even the individual in ways most of us didn't foresee—has proven fatal. Expertise is de-incentivized: You don’t have to know what you’re talking about when the attention economy demands and rewards constant chatter. Criticism has been mostly discarded in favor of boosterism and listicles.”

When the bar criticisms created went away, with the help of people like Puff, so did the music’s quality.

Im ok with you calling me arrogant. Im self assured about a culture I woke up to involuntarily everyday and can speak on it’s existence in a manner that is foreign to you.

You arent Black. You OPTED IN to a culture I grew up calling “my daily existence.” When the music was on our cultural terms that you decided to call elitist because you had no say in creating those terms

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
Can't comment on the Puff hater shyt, that seem like a New York thing, but from my view the biggest damage he did was driving up the price of the brick far as samples go. All them cheap Casio keyboard beats that dominated from 1998 onward was the result of Puff getting so flagrant repeatedly sampling big 80s hits, instrumental and hook, all samples started costing more to clear, the original artists wanted a lot bigger cut of the royalties, artists and labels went away from sampling as much.

Just said this in the other thread but Telecommunications Act allowing Clear Channel to buy up most major radio stations did way more damage than Puff far as wack shyt being allowed to thrive. Took all the control away from local stations and DJs. Nationwide it was all the same shyt getting played, getting dictated by the major labels. What was "hot" was whatever the labels said was hot.