The biggest damage Diddy did to hip hop was when....

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
Truth be told, that's why so many of the OG's are scared to speak out today and call out wackness. They're scared. The few that do, always have to preface sh*t like "I'm not hating or anything, but I think...". So without that truth being told about the music now, mad wack sh*t drops constantly and nobody wants to speak about it.
reminds me of when ice-t was shyttin on soulja boy (rightfully so, soulja boy is wack)...but after some internet backlash he was like :whoa: it was a misunderstanding

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Bro… some shyt was trash. And it was around that time where MCs had an out around legitimate criticisms or critiques of their work. You couldn’t say anything was subpar anymore because being called a hater was an out. I regret squashing an article I had penned on it back in the late 90s feeling that the embrace of calling people haters when their work was critiqued would erode standards.

There's songs that Ifomd to be arbae,but millions of people like it. It is stupid and pointless for me to tell you its trash. I'm going to respectfully say I don't like it.

You can't call something sub par and then expect it to be accepted as law. The whole culture shifted to where you had to see an artist if you called his work "trash".

Not only that, but fans are sensitive. I remember how amuch heat Nas got for calling out Nelly, Nore, and Cam. They didn't take that lying down and Nas and Nore were homies. They came at Nas and Cam made a diss record.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Very on point thread.

I remember Common saying this back when his third album was dropping. He said you can't even call something wack anymore because now that makes you a hater. And it's true.
Straight up. It became a common retort anytime you said something was "meh." We completely lost standards and as a result, the music devolved.

Plankton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bikini Bottom
You must not like Bay Area rap

And there are other examples but those were the first that jumped to my mind

Yeah that Luniz song ( which I remember had a video that played on The Box) along with Bone Thugs on 1st Of The Month when Wish says "Gotta watch my back see playa haters out to rob me."

Both of those songs came out mid 95'sh

And at first it was "playa hater" and that was the new popular term but then it got shortened to "hater" by various rappers later down the line. But even BIG was referencing it as "Playa Hater" dedicating a whole song to it in early 97.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
This is facts. And before Puff. Being a Playa Hater meant something a little different. It was about nikkas hating ur shine n shyt. Jealous nikkas. That shyt became an out for every criticism and shyt just went downhill.

right. I am younger (at 38!) so I don't even really remember a world before hater, but before a certain point around post 2000, it was "playa hater" as you said, and it was hating on someone just because they had a girl, had your girl, hated a "playa" for being a playa.

and then it became synonymous with "having an opinion", which does kind of suppress opinions and quality.

but as far as passing blame, Puff and Mase were def. using and saying player haters and using it that way. Not sure when it changed. pretty sure puff and mase taught me to not be a hater lol

LandryFieldsDad

All Star
Daps
...he popularized the term "hating." This was in the late 90s.

He took a lot of flack after BIG died, especially in NY. Then he started throwing that term around where it ended up erasing gatekeepers of hip-hop from calling trash....trash. And now we are living with it.
Easily!!!

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
The term hater, hating, player hater, etc. been around since I was in elementary school. I’m 46 now. My Bay Area family been saying that shyt for years.
they weren’t using the term in the manner that I’m speaking on. That term was Weaponized to blunt legitimate criticism. That’s what puff did. That’s what I was going to write in a piece in the late 90s.

The term “woke” has been around for years, but we know how people have recently Weaponized the word. That’s my point. I heard the term play hate it for years. But I’m speaking on how puff Weaponized it to blunt criticism.

If you erase Legit criticism, you erase standards, and the result would be faulty shyt, it’s no coincidence that the golden era of hip-hop died with the appearance of that word