The Atomic bombing of Japan is the worst war crime of the 20th century

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
I just went down the YouTube rabbit hole and saw how powerful the nukes we have today are. Sh*t is absolutely terrifying :picard: The Tsar bomb would take out New York City and the entire northern half of New Jersey :francis:
That bomb was more of a science experiment than anything practical. Today, you’re more likely to see a rocket filled with multiple smaller yield warheads that basically cluster nuke an area. It’s terrifying. I pray i never see one used in my lifetime or my children’s lifetime.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
We surrender...

on the condition that we get to keep the Phillipines, Korea, and half of China :ehh: Also, if anyone asks - we won
shyts crazy but that actually was their initial "surrender"...:russ:

This perfectly highlights how anyone in this thread trying to claim Japan "surrendered" before the bombs is being intellectually dishonest...

Willing to surrender and the act of actually surrendering are two completely different things...

Like I said the Japs were stalling and playing games for favorable terms because of the beef the allies had with Stalin over Poland...

The Japs even tried to negotiate with Stalin...

Superstar
Daps
Wait what? Dude using porta-potty’s like home base in tag on the battlefield? I need more details on this. He called timeout and went to take a shyt and got shot? :dwillhuh:

They regularly fired rockets and recoiless rifle rounds into one of our task force’s satellite outposts. They were kind of accurate that day so everybody decided to run to the bunkers or into their hooch’s. He was the only one to run into a porta-potty (they were kind of in the open in the middle of the outpost). They got REALLY precise and hit his porta potty. Recoiless rifle rounds are basically rockets fire from a small tube sitting on a tripod..

xCivicx

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl
:usure:

To this day I am not convinced the U.S. didn't know it was coming. I believe there were high ranking people in the government that wanted to enter WWII but the public was against it and they were not prepared, having only about 100,000 troops ready to fight. Pearl Harbor solved all of that. You now had your "Look they started it" moment to justify getting in, and the patriotism that arose compelled hundreds of thousands to sign up for the military.

But hey, maybe its true that they thought the blips on the radar coming towards Pearl Harbor that morning was actually a flock of birds :sas1::sas2:
FDR had 3 days warning and let it happen iirc

Superstar
Daps
The US dropped the bombs as a piece of Cold War gamesmanship. As other posters have alluded to, the US wanted to prevent a joint post war occupation with Russia, who had entered the Pacific war after mopping up Hitler and taking Berlin. The US wanted to avoid another joint occupation shared with the Russians, like in Germany. The US wanted the Japanese to surrender unilaterally to the US; the Japanese had actually tried to surrender weeks after the bombing in Tokyo but the surrender terms were rejected after the US had insisted on the abdication of Hirohito and the dissolution of the office of Emperor. The US dropped the bombs to convince the Japanese to surrender faster. A ground invasion of Japan would've been a bigger war crime, with battle hardened island hopping marines going against old men, women, teenage boys and whatever else the Imperials could scrape together.

:lolbron:
You must be a marine, conveniently forgetting that the majority of the pacific fighting was done by the US Army lol. I think the marines were the majority at Saipan and the only ones at Iwo Jima though.

kwazzy100

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It was necessary. Russia was feeling itself and was about to be a problem until the US showed out.

It's easy to look back on it now and talk bad about the decision but those decisions were necessary

But Russia could had ended the war with possible less casualties of innocents. It was not neccessary to use the bomb to stop Nazis

Dafunkdoc_Unlimited

Theological Noncognitivist Since Birth
Daps
Reppin
The Wrong Side of the Tracks
987654321 said:
:lolbron:
You must be a marine, conveniently forgetting that the majority of the pacific fighting was done by the US Army lol. I think the marines were the majority at Saipan and the only ones at Iwo Jima though.

There were only about 50,000 Marines off-jump in 1941 compared to the Army's 1.5 million soldiers. By '44, it was about 450,000 Marines vs. 7 million Soldiers.​

Army had more easily replaceable cannon-fodder........:sas1:

Semper Fi.​

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
They regularly fired rockets and recoiless rifle rounds into one of our task force’s satellite outposts. They were kind of accurate that day so everybody decided to run to the bunkers or into their hooch’s. He was the only one to run into a porta-potty (they were kind of in the open in the middle of the outpost). They got REALLY precise and hit his porta potty. Recoiless rifle rounds are basically rockets fire from a small tube sitting on a tripod..
Thats so unfortunate. Damn.

karim

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How is the German Holocaust the worst when more people were killed in the Congo by Leopold at the turn of the 20th century?
We're talking war crimes. Congo was a crime against humanity, but it wasn't a war crime because the atrocities weren't committed as part of a war. Unlike the holocaust, were German troops invaded foreign territories and then proceeded to round up the jewish population and either shot them directly or deported them to death camps.