The age of ‘the car is king’ is over. The sooner we accept that, the better

bnew

Veteran
Daps
And why would I want to experience either of those (which I did for way too many years growing up in NYC)? I don't need anyone else's noise during my commute except for my thoughts, my conversation with whoever's riding with me, the hum of my engine, and my music.

But this is also why I escaped the concrete jungle and moved to a place where, while a car may be a necessity, I don't have to endure high traffic volume, the cost of living is cheaper, there's grass and nature that's abundant, and life moves slower. My skin color doesn't make me inherently attached to some urban shıthole. I don't live in fear of anyone, and I can live anywhere I want and chose to do so, and part of the appeal is not being beholden to public transportation or dealing with entitled, annoying bicyclists.

This life works for me and my personal preferences. I enjoy being a motorist, so I'll live where motorists are catered to.

You're a good poster, and seem to be a good person, but keeping it 100, this Eurocentric, anti-car crusade you're on is annoying af.

just because I want better public transportation and more protected bike lanes does not mean i'm anti-car. :gucci:

everything mode of transportation has it's use case.

you say it's eurocentric but america was actually the leader in bike transportation at one point in it's history. the automobile industry sabotaged it and continue to do so.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
you don't wanna sleep on bart, and bart be expensive, just ask/see @dora_da_destroyer's post

and half the people on bart don't want you bothering them. so being socialable is out.

:russ:that's some Star Trek utopian talk breh. Far away from reality.

10 miles? Not many have that luxury.
U right on with that. I would like to see society transition more into a star trek utopia instead of this violent, racist diseased society that continues to devolve. I'm doing my part. And yes, you should live less than 10 miles from where u work. That's actually something that should be promoted more. I don't know a single person with a 45+minute commute who doesn't have a layer of anger ready to break loose at the simplest things. I see it everyday with how people hate each other on the roadways. It is not healthy

Consigliere

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
One of my least favorite liberal wants.

These arguments ignore the reality of America; an America where rideshare drivers turn off their apps when they’re in Black neighborhoods and won’t deliver goods to them. The reality of an America where the slightest advantage over the next man is exploited for $.

Less cars = more expensive rideshares
Less parking spaces = more expensive homes with parking spaces

Bike lanes, rezoning, affordable housing, density and the manufactured housing crisis are all gentrification schemes, scams and plots until proven otherwise.

Mindfield333

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NC
It’ll be a minute before it happens. I live on the south and I’m from a rural town where my parents still live. But I like autonomy and being able to travel when I want… But that’s all. People are so materialistic tho that they will fight to keep a vehicle even if it’s a financial burden

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

These arguments ignore the reality of America; an America where rideshare drivers turn off their apps when they’re in Black neighborhoods and won’t deliver goods to them. The reality of an America where the slightest advantage over the next man is exploited for $.

Bike lanes, rezoning, affordable housing, density and the manufactured housing crisis are all gentrification schemes, scams and plots until proven otherwise.
What?
How?
Explain how.
:mjlol:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY

YOU SEE IT :blessed:

Look at the housing they're trying to build in Queens in Astoria I think?

You're gonna push out that entire community because at the end of the day, the landlords will raise the rent in the area because once them "market rate" apartments hit, the demographics of the neighborhood will change and when the landlords realize that they CAN charge more? They WILL

And its BEEN happening in Brooklyn in Flatbush, Crown Heights, Bed Stuy, etc.

It's why these City Council members play patty cake with these developers on how much affordable housing gets built and what the requirements for them will be.

They work with the developers to cut costs for THEM knowing damn well it will change the character of neighborhoods and push out long time residents and communities

Another example is Harlem! Wake up!

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
I think as soon as self driving taxis become a feasible alternative, you'll see a fast drop in private car ownership. The whole youth generation at that point in time will have no need for their own car and the crazy expense, maintenance, responsibility that goes along with it.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
i just spent a year not having a car and was spending over $300 on uber/lyft, and that was just the occasional getting to friends houses/going out, i had a gym and grocery store nearby and WFH - that would've skyrocketed if i were younger in my more social days or needed to commute (would've take public trans for commute). and the amount of packaging and carbon footprint from having shyt delivered is an issue in and of itself. had a lipliner delievered from sephora (went to the store to buy it and it was out of stock), they sent a pencil in a box that was close to the size of an adult woman's shoebox, how is wasting gas, shipping and creating excess waste like that a better trade off?
shyt I used to BART into SF and it ended up being mad fukking expensive.

Look :snoop:

I do it. Been doing it for damn near 10 years now. I ride as bike my primary transport. I take advantage of deals. Rental cars from time to time. The money and stress I've saved is unreal. If it's not for you, that's your prerogative. Enjoy your commute/gas/insurance/repair work. There are alternatives

why you :snoop:? you make it sound like it's that easy.

It isn't.

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
just because I want better public transportation and more protected bike lanes does not mean i'm anti-car. :gucci:

everything mode of transportation has it's use case.

you say it's eurocentric but america was actually the leader in bike transportation at one point in it's history. the automobile industry sabotaged it and continue to do so.

Whenever you post about it you tend to speak in absolutes as if you are anti-car, especially in the articles and tweets you post. I ain't got the time right now to play Coli detective and dig through your posts and produce pieces of evidence, but I'm sure other people here see it too.

And of course the automobile industry would overtake bicycles. Cars made life more convenient and efficient, and humans strive for more convenience and efficiency. We also love privacy. It's no surprise that the automotive industry is going to be king in this country.

Not to mention not everyone who posts here live in areas that are densely populated where public transportation and bike lanes are necessary. As someone who's had extensive experience with both, give me what I have now. The only people I feel bad for are the people who want to escape that dense population and urban, sardine can life for more space but don't have the means to do so.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
  • Having to cross paths with the mentally unstable all the time
  • Still having to walk/use other methods of pt
  • Inclement weather
  • Delays

• see thats a issue created by ignoring another problem. this is a common complaint and everywhere in the U.S yet people don't realize if mentally-ill individuals had facilities they could reside in, that'd improve the public transportation experience substantially. give homeless people housing without precondition and they have no need to live in train cars or in subway stations.
  • multi-modal commuting is more common than you think. lots of people drive or ride a bike to train stations. it doesn't have to be all or nothing.
  • people have commuted in all sorts of weather and theres not shortage of stories every year where people abandon cars to escape freezing temps or even flooding. there was a time in 2019 when I was relieved I was driving because I got caught up in one of the worse hailstorms in my life. we have the weather channel and app though now so that we can be prepared for any outing.
  • delays do not need to be a default function of public transportation, some systems work better than others so we have to continually work to improve it rather than bush the entire thing altogether. besides i've been caught up in traffic and have arrived in front of my destination on time only to spend 30 minutes+ looking for parking. I'd argue cars experience way more delays than trains and soon with the greater adoption of BRT's, they'll be slower than buses for some routes.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It’s frustrating how many of you think public transit has only existed in major cities like New York.

When history proves that even towns with fewer than 10,000 people had trams and trains that were all bulldozed for the car.

The level of ignorance is astounding.
This is an uphill battle for sure.

People tend to only view this from one perspective: the privacy and comfort of a car. And they ignore all the ways car infrastructure is bad for their neighborhoods, their wallets and their health.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
shyt I used to BART into SF and it ended up being mad fukking expensive.

why you :snoop:? you make it sound like it's that easy.

It isn't.
Because I'm getting frustrated with some of the replies my brother. I didn't post to spark an argument, just trying to show a different way. And I apparently went way over my buddy Dora's head, I'm emphasizing biking, not ubering