The age of ‘the car is king’ is over. The sooner we accept that, the better

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
So everytime you change jobs you should move within 10 miles of where you work :dead:
How u get that WOAT tag? I'm not entertaining your convo, this sites already called u out for your lack of intelligence. U should be ashamed of yourself :camby:

JNew

Superstar
Daps
I dont think the age of cars is over, not by a long shot.

I think they way cars are viewed as a status symbol, is over. I mean have you seen how nice Kia's have become and how cheap you can get a car with the latest greatest and safest features. no point n dropping a 100k for a car when the features will be outdated in 5 years.

I had a nice cars and now i own a modest safe 30K vehicle and feel bad for guys driving the latest expensive vehicle.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
They don’t use them. Motherfukkas be cycling in the middle of the street, smh
TELL EM!

I ride my bike recreationally/for health 7 out of 12 months of the year

I SEE IT

I HAVE EXPERIENCED IT

If it's not the delivery guys is the the entitled gentrifier biker bros

Collateral

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
  • not having to look for parking
  • being able to sleep on on your way to your destination
  • being able to read on your way to your destination
  • cheaper mode of transportation overall
  • if you're socialable it's a great way to meet people in passing.
  • Having to cross paths with the mentally unstable all the time
  • Still having to walk/use other methods of pt
  • Inclement weather
  • Delays

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I think one of the biggest financial mistakes people make us throwing all their money away on a down payment for a car they drive to their basic ass job and random "errands".

This is not 1995, when a car was invaluable. Uber. Lyft. Instacart. Amazon prime. Turo. The list could go on and on. And working in finance, half the people driving Mercedes, Nissans, Toyotas are behind on they payments. Like really behind. 2/3 months seems to be the average. Stop throwing your money away on transportation. Start a business that you are interested in. Nobody's impressed by a fukking Nissan Altima or basic stock Mercedes.

It's called a rental. U can rent exotic cars you couldn't otherwise afford. Do u really think these dumb ass birds know the difference? All they see is a new Porsche, they ain't looking at the title. End of the weekend, u can throw that bytch back to the bushes just like the car
i just spent a year not having a car and was spending over $300 on uber/lyft, and that was just the occasional getting to friends houses/going out, i had a gym and grocery store nearby and WFH - that would've skyrocketed if i were younger in my more social days or needed to commute (would've take public trans for commute). and the amount of packaging and carbon footprint from having shyt delivered is an issue in and of itself. had a lipliner delievered from sephora (went to the store to buy it and it was out of stock), they sent a pencil in a box that was close to the size of an adult woman's shoebox, how is wasting gas, shipping and creating excess waste like that a better trade off?

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
Noticing a lot of nonstop messaging on this from liberals and leftists. Non stop complaining about cars, to the point it almost seems coordinated. No one else gives a shyt. I say this as a liberal, btw.

Do I want great public transportation? Yes. Surely this is something liberal cities should be able to do, given the control they have over this stuff (funding). So where is this master plan being rolled out efficiently...
You can add this to the list of progressive ideas that sound great if the world was utopia or you were building a completely new society from scratch

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
  • not having to look for parking
  • being able to sleep on on your way to your destination
  • being able to read on your way to your destination
  • cheaper mode of transportation overall
  • if you're socialable it's a great way to meet people in passing.
you don't wanna sleep on bart, and bart be expensive, just ask/see @dora_da_destroyer's post

and half the people on bart don't want you bothering them. so being socialable is out.

U don't need to take Uber/Lyft every day, u should live somewhere less than 10 miles from work, ride a bicycle( and once again, this is not 1995. They got some real nice ones nowadays). I ride 10 miles a day and I promise u with traffic, if you were to leave my workplace at the same time as me around 5pm, I'm getting home before you. Uber/Lyft is for when it's raining tropical storm weather. And biking keeps u in shape.

Instacart pays for itself with the amount of deals I get emailed. 25 dollars off two grocery deliveries with fees waived is a regular promotion they send.

And with today's economy/immigration there will be a constant supply of new people ubering and doing deliveries, I'm not worried about that. I just feel we need a change in modern society towards a healthier way of living, and transitioning away from private car ownership is one of the ways. Im 40 years old and u can catch me at the ball courts on some weekends running with the 20 yr olds like it's nothing. I also know people my age on medication suffering from strokes. I've seen people I've grown up with drop dead in they 30s. I can't promote that kind of a lifestyle
:russ:that's some Star Trek utopian talk breh. Far away from reality.

10 miles? Not many have that luxury.

bnew

Veteran
Daps
What real world examples are there? I’m not taking about European cities that have been around since the beginning of time and built when you couldn’t do shyt but walk to get around
it's not only european cities that were built that way, in the history of the world suburbs are whats new.
the increasing number of Bus Rapid Transit Systems(BRT) that are being built and implemented in many cities around the world.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I love cars. My whole life has revolved around them. However, I realize that designing the country around them was a mistake.

No, they aren’t going anywhere but all future communities should be designed to use them as sparingly as possible. It only makes sense.

badboys11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
M
i just spent a year not having a car and was spending over $300 on uber/lyft, and that was just the occasional getting to friends houses/going out, i had a gym and grocery store nearby and WFH - that would've skyrocketed if i were younger in my more social days or needed to commute (would've take public trans for commute). and the amount of packaging and carbon footprint from having shyt delivered is an issue in and of itself. had a lipliner delievered from sephora (went to the store to buy it and it was out of stock), they sent a pencil in a box that was close to the size of an adult woman's shoebox, how is wasting gas, shipping and creating excess waste like that a better trade off?
Look :snoop:

I do it. Been doing it for damn near 10 years now. I ride as bike my primary transport. I take advantage of deals. Rental cars from time to time. The money and stress I've saved is unreal. If it's not for you, that's your prerogative. Enjoy your commute/gas/insurance/repair work. There are alternatives

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
on trains, you can switch cars. I haven't experienced anything too crazy on buses, just loud kids and loud evangelists proselytizing.

And why would I want to experience either of those (which I did for way too many years growing up in NYC)? I don't need anyone else's noise during my commute except for my thoughts, my conversation with whoever's riding with me, the hum of my engine, and my music.

But this is also why I escaped the concrete jungle and moved to a place where, while a car may be a necessity, I don't have to endure high traffic volume, the cost of living is cheaper, there's grass and nature that's abundant, and life moves slower. My skin color doesn't make me inherently attached to some urban shıthole. I don't live in fear of anyone, and I can live anywhere I want and chose to do so, and part of the appeal is not being beholden to public transportation or dealing with entitled, annoying bicyclists.

This life works for me and my personal preferences. I enjoy being a motorist, so I'll live where motorists are catered to.

You're a good poster, and seem to be a good person, but keeping it 100, this Eurocentric, anti-car crusade you're on is annoying af.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Noticing a lot of nonstop messaging on this from liberals and leftists. Non stop complaining about cars, to the point it almost seems coordinated. No one else gives a shyt. I say this as a liberal, btw.

Do I want great public transportation? Yes. Surely this is something liberal cities should be able to do, given the control they have over this stuff (funding). So where is this master plan being rolled out efficiently...
It IS coordinated

I'm 90% sure OP is part of Transportation Alternatives simply based on the language he uses and the things he highlights

Ol boy knew exactly what I was talking about with that Parkside accident too :mjgrin:

Cyclists in NYC routinely ride recklessly and do reckless things

- Riding with no helmet
- Riding while on the phone/facetiming
- Riding with their PET on the front of the Citibike
- Salmoning (Riding the wrong way)
- Zig zagging through traffic

And that's all on streets that HAVE BIKE LANES

I challenge @bnew to stand on 6th Avenue or around Broadway in Flatiron/Chelsea ( :dame: ) and film for about 90 minutes and watch the fukkery that occurs.

We ain't even get into the unlicensed mopeds zipping around this city, which has increased post pandemic

bnew

Veteran
Daps
What real world examples are there? I’m not taking about European cities that have been around since the beginning of time and built when you couldn’t do shyt but walk to get around
it's not only european cities that were built that way, in the history of the world suburbs are whats new.
the increasing number of Bus Rapid Transit Systems(BRT) that are being built and implemented in many cities around the world.

new trams get built too.