The 1st season ratings are in. Will OKOP be cancelled ASAP? -CANCELLED

What happens to the Our Kind of People tv series?

• RENEWED for Season 2. Meet Donnie, he's a friend of OURS

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • CANCELLED...Sorry, you're not my KIND of girl

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • COMPLETES SEASON .....One year rental

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
What I think will hurt the show's ratings further is related to something that's been mentioned here. As it's being scripted, there is nothing original about the show. Soap operas with affluent powerful Black people aren't a novelty anymore.
Apparently, a popular Tyler Perry produced soap made it's season debut last night........in the same time slot as OKOP.

hq720.jpg

An interracial President/First Lady couple ..it's on cable, and Tyler Perry produces it.

Head to head, the Fox show can't match a cable show in terms of soap opera elements....sex and language primarily

Isn't the daughter on Power Book 2?

invalid

Banned
Daps
WHY SHOULD BEYONCE HAVE ALL THE FUN?

PRC_147293394.jpg

:laff:

low.

i decided to watch the four episodes last night (while also falling asleep twice). besides all off the observations in this thread which are spot on, the show in general just gives the flavor of a new money’s perception of old money. nothing accurate at all. just an Empire with respectability politics (and I haven’t seen Empire outside of the first two episodes).

Also, what I haven’t heard people talk about is the heavy LGBT themes. It’s really heavy. Besides the lesbian story line, there is an inclusion of trannies and drag queens that just takes it over the top. And it’s done so in a way thats actually disrespectful to them in that they are only there to provide comedic relief and entertainment. Being typecast without advancing storylines or needing to have any impact on the main story. Which is why it’s obvious their ‘inclusion’ was just thrown in there to satisfy lgbt audiences when it’s not rooted in reality.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
:laff:

low.

i decided to watch the four episodes last night (while also falling asleep twice). besides all off the observations in this thread which are spot on, the show in general just gives the flavor of a new money’s perception of old money. nothing accurate at all. just an Empire with respectability politics (and I haven’t seen Empire outside of the first two episodes).

Also, what I haven’t heard people talk about is the heavy LGBT themes. It’s really heavy. Besides the lesbian story line, there is an inclusion of trannies and drag queens that just takes it over the top. And it’s done so in a way thats actually disrespectful to them in that they are only there to provide comedic relief and entertainment. Being typecast without advancing storylines or needing to have any impact on the main story. Which is why it’s obvious their ‘inclusion’ was just thrown in there to satisfy lgbt audiences when it’s not rooted in reality.
Rushed and thrown together by all accounts of people who watched the show. Even pump faking announcing that Lucket was on the show was rushed. She must have read/auditioned for the part. If you decide to go with another actress, then cast Lucket in a different or minor role.
Lucket would have brought along some of the Destiny's Child fanbase.
And at the risk of Jason Terrying myself, YET again, I saw the cast photos of the Dupont family. It looks like they kept the kids that were supposed to be Lucket and Chestnut's, even after casting a different looking actress. Hehehehe
*jokes

Thanks for weighing in on the feel/set of the show. You've pointed out things in past shows/films that went over my head, but that members of the set would note. Show missed a grand opportunity to point out subtle things would be noticed by insiders and missed by outsiders.
Lee Daniels is a hack, so I'm not surprised. Karen Gist just came out last year, and recently had a high profile wedding.
Public Alphabet Soup affiliation fast tracks your career, apparently. Studios will ride the LGBTQ wave until the public is tired of it.On screen it's caricatures mostly.
Gaysploitation.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Rushed and thrown together by all accounts of people who watched the show. Even pump faking announcing that Lucket was on the show was rushed. She must have read/auditioned for the part. If you decide to go with another actress, then cast Lucket in a different or minor role.
Lucket would have brought along some of the Destiny's Child fanbase.
And at the risk of Jason Terrying myself, YET again, I saw the cast photos of the Dupont family. It looks like they kept the kids that were supposed to be Lucket and Chestnut's, even after casting a different looking actress. Hehehehe
*jokes

Thanks for weighing in on the feel/set of the show. You've pointed out things in past shows/films that went over my head, but that members of the set would note. Show missed a grand opportunity to point out subtle things would be noticed by insiders and missed by outsiders.
Lee Daniels is a hack, so I'm not surprised. Karen Gist just came out last year, and recently had a high profile wedding.
Public Alphabet Soup affiliation fast tracks your career, apparently. Studios will ride the LGBTQ wave until the public is tired of it.On screen it's caricatures mostly.
Gaysploitation.

Nahhhhh that show was going to flop whether Latoya Lucket was cast or not.

Lee Daniel's is a trash Executive Producer and I mean that in the nicest way possible. The same thing that happened with Empire was going to happen with this show.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Nahhhhh that show was going to flop whether Latoya Lucket was cast or not.

Lee Daniel's is a trash Executive Producer and I mean that in the nicest way possible. The same thing that happened with Empire was going to happen with this show.
He's a hack, but Empire was a blockbuster success.

He put "Empire" elements in this show, and the ratings are poor.
Your saving grace is either going to be critical acclaim or good ratings.

======
Hollywood deals with obscene amounts of money. LOG kept getting options to do this project for years, perhaps a decade. They continued to pay him for the rights. Hundreds of thousands of dollars over that time. Just to rush this out after he passed away.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
He's a hack, but Empire was a blockbuster success.

He put "Empire" elements in this show, and the ratings are poor.
Your saving grace is either going to be critical acclaim or good ratings.

======
Hollywood deals with obscene amounts of money. LOG kept getting options to do this project for years, perhaps a decade. They continued to pay him for the rights. Hundreds of thousands of dollars over that time. Just to rush this out after he passed away.

Empire had star power, which this show just doesn't have. YaYa has more star power than Latoya Lucket has and it's not even close. Even in the case of Empire, the show started out hot then crashed and burned because of Lee Daniel's trash writing and over top show elements.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Empire had star power, which this show just doesn't have. YaYa has more star power than Latoya Lucket has and it's not even close. Even in the case of Empire, the show started out hot then crashed and burned because of Lee Daniel's trash writing and over top show elements.
???
If Lucket was on the show, a tweet from Beyonce telling her fans to support her former band-mate would help boost the ratings. The woman who replaced her in the cast is probably a better actress, but doesn't have the name or drawing power of Lucket.

Empire ran for 6 seasons. Enough episodes to be syndicated. It was a successful show

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
who would have thought a black show that the vast majority of black people can't identify with would be in danger of being cancelled.