The 1st season ratings are in. Will OKOP be cancelled ASAP? -CANCELLED

What happens to the Our Kind of People tv series?

• RENEWED for Season 2. Meet Donnie, he's a friend of OURS

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • CANCELLED...Sorry, you're not my KIND of girl

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • COMPLETES SEASON .....One year rental

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
We said the same shyt about The Equalizer :heh:

Cs3uszS.gif

:mjlol::deadmanny:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Yeah it's a wrap on this show as Fox doesn't have the TV slots to spare anymore with TNF and Smackdown to waste on a show with awful ratings. In their defense, the lead show before it isn't performing any better although that show is 5 seasons in and just lost their two leads.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
The show is terrible. Yaya is not a good actress and her character has a really off putting attitude. To be the main character with her story, you would think you would root for her. Not one of the main characters has any redeeming qualities. The show is poorly written, has an awkward pace, and is extremely predictable.

I always root for a black show to succeed, but this just ain't it.

haven’t seen the show but I’ve heard all of the same exact same criticisms.

was surprised to hear that about Yaya. haven’t seen anything that she’s been in, I just assumed she was at least decent.

but folks have been saying she’s terrible, not empathetic as the protagonist, and that it was a mistake for her to leave chicago med. :picard:

prolly should’ve stuck with Latoya Luckett.

btw, live look at Latoya after getting the shaft and seeing the ratings.

giphy+%281%29.gif

:lolbron:

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Yeah it's a wrap on this show.

Fox doesn't have the TV slots to spare anymore with TNF and Smackdown to waste on a show with awful ratings.
What I think will hurt the show's ratings further is related to something that's been mentioned here. As it's being scripted, there is nothing original about the show. Soap operas with affluent powerful Black people aren't a novelty anymore.
Apparently, a popular Tyler Perry produced soap made it's season debut last night........in the same time slot as OKOP.

tb_186_186059.jpg

An interracial President/First Lady couple ..it's on cable, and Tyler Perry produces it.

Head to head, the Fox show can't match a cable show in terms of soap opera elements....sex and language primarily

Last edited:

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
What I think will hurt the show's ratings further is related to something that's been mentioned here. As it's being scripted, there is nothing original about the show. Soap operas with affluent powerful Black people aren't a novelty anymore.
Apparently, a popular Tyler Perry produced soap made it's season debut last night........in the same time slot as OKOP.

hq720.jpg

An interracial President/First Lady couple ..it's on cable, and Tyler Perry produces it.

Head to head, the Fox show can't match a cable show in terms of soap opera elements....sex and language primarily

The soap opera element could work on network television as Empire showed IF the show has star power or some attention grabbing storylines that makes people want to tune in. This show just doesn't have that and the lead just isn't good enough to carry the show in spite of her leaving Chicago Med to do so.

There's only 5 episodes this season, which makes it even more insane that she left Chicago Med to do it.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The soap opera element could work on network television as Empire showed IF the show has star power or some attention grabbing storylines that makes people want to tune in. This show just doesn't have that and the lead just isn't good enough to carry the show in spite of her leaving Chicago Med to do so.

There's only 5 episodes this season, which makes it even more insane that she left Chicago Med to do it.
Good point about the acting talents of Taraji and Terrence Howard. I also think the show was slightly ahead of the curve in terms of gay characters.
OKOP featuring gay character is forced, as that's no longer shocking or groundbreaking in today's climate.
They made a color-by-numbers Soap Opera with the new Fox show. Only thing unique about it is that it's set in MV.

Never watched any full episodes of any of these shows, but Empire was written about in multiple places once it became a hit.

Yaya proved one thing by signing on to do this show. She reminded casting directors and audiences how fine she is. She's worked steadily for years, has money at this point. Sounded like a smart move to jump at the chance to be the lead actress of a series. I'm sure she saw the career boost that Empire gave to Taraji.

5 episodes? Wait, WHAT?

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Good point about the acting talents of Taraji and Terrence Howard. I also think the show was slightly ahead of the curve in terms of gay characters.
OKOP featuring gay character is forced, as that's no longer shocking or groundbreaking in today's climate.
They made a color-by-numbers Soap Opera with the new Fox show. Only thing unique about it is that it's set in MV.

Never watched any full episodes of any of these shows, but Empire was written about in multiple places once it became a hit.

Yaya proved one thing by signing on to do this show. She reminded casting directors and audiences how fine she is. She's worked steadily for years, has money at this point. Sounded like a smart move to jump at the chance to be the lead actress of a series. I'm sure she saw the career boost that Empire gave to Taraji.

5 episodes? Wait, WHAT?

According to what I've read it's 5 episodes in the season. Now whether that was intentional or they're waiting on a full season pickup order, I'm not sure.

KingFreeman

Barely-Known Member
Daps
Reppin
the 254
Reading the actual book now. The first few minutes of the show already mocks the source material. OKOP should have been an anthology drama or miniseries and not that dumb shyt.

I mean, if the goal was for Yaya to show her ass in every shot, they got that accomplished, but as far as actually doing the book justice or even making a coherent project? Naw

Daps
Feel like this is the kind of show that needs to be on Starz, HBO etc.

Fox ain't the spot for anything Black that's trying to be remotely serious.

Morris :francis:.....feel like he should go the cable route. I could see him on Raising Kanan playing the role Omar Epps is....or any other character.

Feel like he tries to play the "good" guy but he would make a much better villain/super villain. He's a natural heel and should go for that lane more both in films and TV.

Thavoiceofthevoiceless

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Voiceless Realm
Feel like this is the kind of show that needs to be on Starz, HBO etc.

Fox ain't the spot for anything Black that's trying to be remotely serious.

Morris :francis:.....feel like he should go the cable route. I could see him on Raising Kanan playing the role Omar Epps is....or any other character.

Feel like he tries to play the "good" guy but he would make a much better villain/super villain. He's a natural heel and should go for that lane more both in films and TV.

It's hard for a show to make it out here these days on network television if it isn't reality TV, law or medical based.

Even NBC is out here saying fukk it and about to run 3 Law and Order related shows at the same time since that's what people love to watch.