The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
No you're just too small minded to get we're the OP is getting at. He is not racially calling those mixed people "black".
Since when AA's and black identity is not the same thing?

African American or Afro American was made to separate race from Whites and other groups like Native American and Asian American.

And I do agree AA's it's own tribe but I don't know why non-blacks can be labeled as AA when the creation of that name was to label you as black.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
African-American=/=black. I'm going to get a lot of heat for that, but from what I've seen it is somewhat truth behind it. African American is the "ethnic group", while "black" is the race.

Yes

Its obvious that mixed/biracial people are not and will never will be "black".

Not quite. There are 2 definitions of "black" being used.

1. To look black combined with being of african descent. This is visual

UAJb91L.jpg

2. of african descent but not showing obvious black features

ZyWYnN4.jpg

...so a mixed/biracial person like #1 will always be "Black" visually speaking whereas people like #2 can get around it.

But if we're addressing things in the "African-American" entity then yes mixed/biracial black people can be African-American. African-American is not a race, but an ethnic group.

Aframs are an ethnic group who have a range of looks of people who are "black" because they are of african descent which includes people with obvious Afro features and some who don't. "Black" on the USA census is defined as

"Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am.' or provide written entries such as Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."[16]

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Mixed is one thing...but how many generations of mixture can you claim before claiming african american becomes non-sensical? Nowhere did I ever imply that aa were a pure ethnic group. But come on, look at the people that are posted in here do you honestly consider them part of the black experience in America? This is not a case of claiming biracials....this is is a case of claiming whites.

I gave you tons of context/historical evidence as to why they are/were part of the "black experience" in America.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
..so yes, if you look white but are of recent-acknowledged African descent and have the shared experiences/struggles of your darker kin, I have no problem considering you black if that's how you see yourself.

RQi5ofc.jpg

jB3qSkA.png

Go to 42:00 (check the whole thing out when you get a chance) into this video for context of why people like the guy above were part of the black american experience

The Rise and Fall of Jim Crow

Last edited:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
It is extremely racist for mixed breeds to claim theyre Black, over the wishes of Blacks to not be lumped together with people of european ancestry..

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Mixed is one thing...but how many generations of mixture can you claim before claiming african american becomes non-sensical? Nowhere did I ever imply that aa were a pure ethnic group. But come on, look at the people that are posted in here do you honestly consider them part of the black experience in America? This is not a case of claiming biracials....this is is a case of claiming whites.

Okay... First who said my post was even addressing you? Do you feel that guilty or paranoid? Secondly... It still seems you and others are not getting the point the OP is making. Hell I got as soon as I entered this freaking thread without even reading through it. Again NO ONE IS SAYING THOSE MIXED WHITE LOOKING PEOPLE ARE BLACK! This goes for not only you, but everyone else! What the OP and everyone who agrees with him is saying African-Americans as an ethnic group are phenotypically diverse and that it is not solely racially based! No sh*t those mixed people posted are obviously not black. A 5 year old would know that.

But the thing is when it comes to ethnicity those mixed people can be African-American. Since African-American is an ethnic group and not a racial entity. I've seen pictures of Nigerian Yoruabs who don't look black, but when it comes to ethnicity they are accepted as Yoruba but of course they're not black. Hell I've seen similar things with admixed Somalis with recent Arab ancestry. Like Miss Somalia.
tumblr_mr2h6qdEXY1qiomrko1_1280.jpg

She obviously has recent Arab ancestry unlike most Somalis. Though she is apart of the Somali ethnic group, BUT she is not black like most Somalis. Every mixed Somali is Somali, but not every Somali is mixed. Same thing with AA's. Do you get it now? Because I feel I can't dumb it down anymore.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Since when AA's and black identity is not the same thing?

African American or Afro American was made to separate race from Whites and other groups like Native American and Asian American.

And I do agree AA's it's own tribe but I don't know why non-blacks can be labeled as AA when the creation of that name was to label you as black.

They're not the same. And yet many people still confuse the two. No the term African-American was never created to separate blacks from whites and other races. The term African-American actually came very late. The term African-American is separate from the term black as it is simple, AA is an ethnic group and "black" is a race based off of phenotype. They are not completely the same, though every African-American is of black descent, but not every black person is African-American. Get it?

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Yes

Not quite. There are 2 definitions of "black" being used.

1. To look black combined with being of african descent. This is visual

UAJb91L.jpg

2. of african descent but not showing obvious black features

ZyWYnN4.jpg

...so a mixed/biracial person like #1 will always be "Black" visually speaking whereas people like #2 can get around it.

Aframs are an ethnic group who have a range of looks of people who are "black" because they are of african descent which includes people with obvious Afro features and some who don't. "Black" on the USA census is defined as

"Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am.' or provide written entries such as Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."[16]
is the lady above claiming herself aa?

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Okay... First who said my post was even addressing you? Do you feel that guilty or paranoid? Secondly... It still seems you and others are not getting the point the OP is making. Hell I got as soon as I entered this freaking thread without even reading through it. Again NO ONE IS SAYING THOSE MIXED WHITE LOOKING PEOPLE ARE BLACK! This goes for not only you, but everyone else! What the OP and everyone who agrees with him is saying African-Americans as an ethnic group are phenotypically diverse and that it is not solely racially based! No sh*t those mixed people posted are obviously not black. A 5 year old would know that.

But the thing is when it comes to ethnicity those mixed people can be African-American. Since African-American is an ethnic group and not a racial entity. I've seen pictures of Nigerian Yoruabs who don't look black, but when it comes to ethnicity they are accepted as Yoruba but of course they're not black. Hell I've seen similar things with admixed Somalis with recent Arab ancestry. Like Miss Somalia.
tumblr_mr2h6qdEXY1qiomrko1_1280.jpg

She obviously has recent Arab ancestry unlike most Somalis. Though she is apart of the Somali ethnic group, BUT she is not black like most Somalis. Every mixed Somali is Somali, but not every Somali is mixed. Same thing with AA's. Do you get it now? Because I feel I can't dumb it down anymore.
so what your post was ot addressing me clearly it is a forum where everyone can contribute not a face to face conversation. So now any one with African lineage no matter how small is aa? Many aa have euro lineage why cant they also beseen as euro americans or na? Mixed is one thing, but yall are telling me that someone with2% black blood can label himself aa but not claim black right. So whats the point of labeling someone aa that can be viewed as white or Asian or any other rather black. Can a white person 2% na blood claim native American but white. That doesn't even make sense, isn't the whole aa based on being predominantly of afro lineage? That means a lot of so called people can be labeled as aa without having the black experience in America.

Last edited:

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
so what your post was ot addressing me clearly it is a forum where everyone can contribute not a face to face conversation. So now any one with African lineage no matter how small is aa?
The one drop rule? Have you been paying attention??? Plus its up to those mixed people to indentify as AA or not. But before we even go on. Are you even AA or part?

And again my first post was NOT addressing you.

Many aa have euro lineage why cant they also beseen as euro americans or na?
This is such a silly strawman that I'm not gonna bother. You still don't get it, after I dumbed things down.

Mixed is one thing, but yall are telling me that someone with2% black blood can label himself aa but not claim black right. So whats the point of labeling someone aa that can be viewed as white or Asian or any other rather black. Can a white person 2% na blood claim native American but white. That doesn't even make sense, isn't the whole aa based on being predominantly of afro lineage? That means a lot of so called people can be labeled as aa without having the black experience in America.

Again more silly strawman while ignoring every points that were made by me and the OP. All those strawman questioned were anwsered in the post you replied to.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
so what your post was ot addressing me clearly it is a forum where everyone can contribute not a face to face conversation. So now any one with African lineage no matter how small is aa? Many aa have euro lineage why cant they also beseen as euro americans or na? Mixed is one thing, but yall are telling me that someone with2% black blood can label himself aa but not claim black right. So whats the point of labeling someone aa that can be viewed as white or Asian or any other rather black. Can a white person 2% na blood claim native American but white. That doesn't even make sense, isn't the whole aa based on being predominantly of afro lineage? That means a lot of so called people can be labeled as aa without having the black experience in America.
Cot damn whats your fascination with us :what:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Y'all can post white people as slaves and all I have to say is this: The US government extending reparations to black slave descendants will bring out people's real view on blackness in America. Then y'all see how ridiculous it is to claim white people as a representation of african americans.

reparations :bryan:

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
The one drop rule? Have you been paying attention??? Plus its up to those mixed people to indentify as AA or not. But before we even go on. Are you even AA or part?

And again my first post was NOT addressing you.

This is such a silly strawman that I'm not gonna bother. You still don't get it, after I dumbed things down.

Again more silly strawman while ignoring every points that were made by me and the OP. All those strawman questioned were anwsered in the post you replied to.
You don't have an argument...I understand.