The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

Black Steph Curry

Lines are being drawn in the sand.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville, AL
.....this thread has 0% anything related to "pawg chasing":rudy::camby:and the pro-black angle is real, nothing fake about it:ufdup:
It's a joke man. I'll say this much though, I know all about mixed people with black phenotypical features being considered black and that's cool and all, but anybody who is assumed to be white at first glance that has to go out of their way to represent themselves as black on some technicality bullshyt for society to treat them as such, im not rocking with that, that's fraudulent, considering tha common thread in our history was that we had no choice in tha matter of being oppressed. That's insulting and I'm giving anybody who tries to shoehorn them in tha side eye and questioning their motives.

I'll a say is this

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
It's a joke man. I'll say this much though, I know all about mixed people with black phenotypical features being considered black and that's cool and all, but anybody who is assumed to be white at first glance that has to go out of their way to represent themselves as black on some technicality bullshyt for society to treat them as such, im not rocking with that, that's fraudulent,

people can't help if their looks belie their ACTUAL genes

considering tha common thread in our history was that we had no choice in tha matter of being oppressed. That's insulting and I'm giving anybody who tries to shoehorn them in tha side eye and questioning their motives.

I'll a say is this

fair skinned people in the USA who didn't want to be "black", simply passed as "other" or isolated themselves from other "black" people

Black Steph Curry

Lines are being drawn in the sand.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville, AL
Most of tha time their looks ain't belying anything. If they look white facially it's for a reason. You can only look so black when your closest "black black" ancestor was 3 generations ago on only one side of your family. (Hyperbole but you get tha drift)
fair skinned people in the USA who didn't want to be "black", simply passed as "other" or isolated themselves from other "black" people
My point exactly. It was as simple as that for them. They didn't even have to put in tha work of convincing anybody of anything, they just let people assume tha obvious and no one was tha wiser. As opposed to sounding like tht 'I'm black yall' music video off cb4 to convince people that they were black until tha real black people that knew them just accepted it to avoid conflict.

Besides all of tht i don't see why this thread even had to go on 10 pages at 50 posts per page. It's 2019. This shyt only occurred with any semblance of regularity a century ago and it didn't even happen that frequently back then. Tha examples you posted seemed to be on some overcompensating survivor's remorse type shyt anyway, going tha extra mile for their 'black black' family members that couldn't escape like they could. Naturally most just passed like you said, and i guarantee as more people moved to tha city most either left their small community and married into white families until they couldn't even try to pretend to be black anymore or married into actual black families and their descendants became tha black people they claimed to be. To find shyt like that today is so rare national geographic articles get made on whenever they find a phenotypically white family claiming to be black, and it's usually cuz they live in tha same small (most likely predominately white) community they're been living in for hundreds of years, they've been known as 'tha black family' since they were actually black, and no one there knows any better. So with that being said do you really think that what you described in tha op happened often enough to justify characterizing it as fundamental to aa culture? Cuz I've never seen anybody on tha aa side of my family that looked white period, let alone looking white or 'fair' as you say claiming to be black. As a matter of fact growing up in Huntsville Alabama i can't ever recall coming across somebody that claimed to be black where you couldn't obviously tell just by looking at them that they had black in them.

And moreover just to characterize how silly this one drop shyt was, tha fact that tht greek nikka you posted, Johnny Otis, among tht other white boy, were able to pass themselves off as black without even having distant African ancestry and get away with it speaks volumes.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Most of tha time their looks ain't belying anything. If they look white facially it's for a reason. You can only look so black when your closest "black black" ancestor was 3 generations ago on only one side of your family. (Hyperbole but you get tha drift)

not really true. GK Butterfield is a perfect example

him with his father

13503018_1048939355142128_2202158480485178231_o.jpg

BuzzFeed Writer Calls Out Rep Who 'Looks Like This' for Questioning Diversity — He's African-American | IJR %

him with his mother

13139048_1024279757608088_4009223602125884504_n.jpg

him

41077_lg.jpg

My point exactly. It was as simple as that for them. They didn't even have to put in tha work of convincing anybody of anything, they just let people assume tha obvious and no one was tha wiser. As opposed to sounding like tht 'I'm black yall' music video off cb4 to convince people that they were black until tha real black people that knew them just accepted it to avoid conflict.

dude, Im talking about people who look clearly/obviously "Black". Not people of african descent who look "white"

kHQ0krZ.jpg

Besides all of tht i don't see why this thread even had to go on 10 pages at 50 posts per page. It's 2019.

it went that many pages because people were arguing with outsiders to afram history

This shyt only occurred with any semblance of regularity a century ago and it didn't even happen that frequently back then. Tha examples you posted seemed to be on some overcompensating survivor's remorse type shyt anyway, going tha extra mile for their 'black black' family members that couldn't escape like they could.

only a 100 years ago? It's still going on

Naturally most just passed like you said,

I said the ones that DID NOT want to be "black" did, I never said most of them in general

and i guarantee as more people moved to tha city most either left their small community and married into white families until they couldn't even try to pretend to be black anymore or married into actual black families and their descendants became tha black people they claimed to be.

see above

To find shyt like that today is so rare national geographic articles get made on whenever they find a phenotypically white family claiming to be black, and it's usually cuz they live in tha same small (most likely predominately white) community they're been living in for hundreds of years, they've been known as 'tha black family' since they were actually black, and no one there knows any better.

rare today? Dude, they still exist in rainbow complected afram families. The only thing rare today is to find a whole community/town of them because they have mixed with darker "blacks"

So with that being said do you really think that what you described in tha op happened often enough to justify characterizing it as fundamental to aa culture? Cuz I've never seen anybody on tha aa side of my family that looked white period,

yes because basically all aframs have european admx which means they, on avg descend from a MULATTO(s) that lived as "black".

let alone looking white or 'fair' as you say claiming to be black. As a matter of fact growing up in Huntsville Alabama i can't ever recall coming across somebody that claimed to be black where you couldn't obviously tell just by looking at them that they had black in them.

see above. My fam that have roots in North Carolina/Virginia/Maryland were heavy on those type of "blacks"

And moreover just to characterize how silly this one drop shyt was, tha fact that tht greek nikka you posted, Johnny Otis, among tht other white boy, were able to pass themselves off as black without even having distant African ancestry and get away with it speaks volumes.

the onedrop rule didn't just encompass white looking afroeuropeans but darker skinned ones too, the loophole was between white looking "blacks" and TRUE "white" people for whatever reason, wanted to pass as "black"

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

people like this (afroeuropean-triracial), identified as "black"

iGJxdKN.jpg

dN5y8tN.jpg

lDMMeFm.jpg

lGJs6TS.jpg

but there were other people of african descent (afroeuropean-triacial), who didn't want to be tied down by the binary color line, played the "indian" game. People like this would deny having african blood or deny knowing any "black" people so white people would give them that "indian" pass

rnO3Amz.jpg

wYNH8OK.jpg

25fUOAJ.jpg

iCtMRQ2.jpg

(same person)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I often see posts on here questioning how will the topic of reparations be handled if all types of people come out the wood works talking about they're "black" because they're part "african"....the key to all that of this is PROOF of a line of continuous "black" identity regardless of phenotype.

If you come from a line(s) of "white" identified people and then find out you're part black, you don't qualify to be "black"/afram.

see

but people like this of african descent who comes from LINES of black identified people, are "black"/afram

SIS5Gl3.gif

815afwh.gif

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
2 other examples

a community of lines of fair skinned "black" identified folks, with someone now, wanting to identify as white (these people QUALIFY as black)

yolanda watts (obviously she and her father are black) on her black (fair skinned) father and his brother who passed as "white" to have a offshoot family of white identified people (those people ARE NOT black)

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
We off that one drop shyt
that may be true in terms of those who say are: quadroon, mixxed of mutiple races(triracial) etc have more options on what they identify as(some see themselves as mixxed, white, or black however they prefer).

But who is "WE" you are not ADOS, arent you a Nigerian?:mjlol:

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
that may be true in terms of those who say are: quadroon, mixxed of mutiple races(triracial) etc have more options on what they identify as(some see themselves as mixxed, white, or black however they prefer).

But who is "WE" you are not ADOS, arent you a Nigerian?:mjlol:

:dahell:

I’m ados