The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
What you seem to fail at realizing is the one drop rule has been dead for over a hundred fukkin years.
All of those people posted are now considered white, which leads me to ask why in the hell do you non-american blacks care so much about the one drop rule

Were eastern european slaves descended from the west africans that were enslaved in the united states? didnt think so, so that point is invalid

why dont you go argue with some african men from togo or wherever you come from

You don't seem too bright. You chastise me on speaking on the subject and the next paragrap you are trying to get into an argument on what I have posted.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
It doesn't prove anything to me. Jews were thrown in gas chambers during the last world war. The turks attempted to exterminate armenians. The Turks and Greeks have fought over cyprus forever. The English, treated Irish and Scottish people as indentured servants a step over a slave.

Blacks don't have oppression on lock.

I already answered this

The struggle doesn't make one "Black" but the struggle is part of what made/bonded people in America of african descent who came in various shades and phenotypes.

Y'all can post white people as slaves and all I have to say is this: The US government extending reparations to black slave descendants will bring out people's real view on blackness in America. Then y'all see how ridiculous it is to claim white people as a representation of african americans.

It's easy to make the distinction between fair skinned afro europeans who look "white" with an Afram/black identity and white identified americans who just found out they're part African. I explained this pages back.

I see one black woman, two black men and a black boy in that picture. Finally, lets be honest those white kids that were slaves....were slave in name only. Cause in reality, nothing separates them from whites in appearance other than some far removed black lineage. Even Abraham Lincoln himself had some debatably black lineage. A black person has a blacknes that is obvious and that is permanent. If someone mistakes you for a white person...you are not black. If the average black person doesn't know that you are black then that's because you are not. Shoot I'd take Halle Berry being callled black before 95% of the people posted in here. Y'all aren't even claiming biracials but straight up white people.

I already gave you context

You and @IllmaticDelta are speaking about away. My point is what ties african american is their black lineage and the black experience in the us for 5 centuries. You can have a shared experience but a lineage needs to tie you together within your cultural group. A person who has black lineage far removed cannot identify to black experience period.

Some more context you....

wedWE8t.jpg

MNEohDZ.jpg

John Hope (1868-1936)

Prominent educator and college president John Hope was born on August 2, 1868 in Augusta, Georgia to a bi-racial couple. His father, James Hope, was a Scottish immigrant and his mother, Mary Frances Butts, was a black woman, who had been free prior to the Emancipation Proclamation. The couple lived together as husband and wife, although interracial marriage was prohibited by Georgia law. John Hope himself was very pale and could have passed as white, but stayed true to his black ancestry and dedicated his life to the advancement of African Americans, particularly through the means of higher education.

HoMgFRT.jpg

udlA5sn.jpg

hn8E7vF.jpg

again, him being of african descent and his shared experiences with the community he knew, he turned down the better life of being "white" that his white friends had setup for him and self identified as "Black/Afram"

Finally, for aa who believe in the one drop rule today. What tangible gain does it bring to the black community; to claim achievements? To say that you can marry white but claim your partner as black? An attempt to stick it to the man? I honestly don't see it ...

It's not about believing in the One Drop Rule as a rule because the rule no longer exists. There were white looking people of african descent who identified as "black" in the USA long before the rule was enforced in the 1910-1930's. The rule though can't be separated from the formation of Afram identity. Without it, Afram identity as we know it couldn't exist. To quote Adam Clayton Powell Sr:

Powell Sr. was an advocate of racial pride who stated that he never desired to be anything other than a Negro. He used to declare, Isabel Washington said, that "God made the most beautiful flower garden in the world when he made the colored race. He made 'em from alabaster white to ebony black and all colors in between

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+R...on+Powell+Jr.:+A+Case+Study+in...-a0221086340

qvDjoJE.jpg

Powell Jr

IKOJ7hZ.jpg

as a little boy

XSwPe14.jpg

with his mom and sister

n0wipaY.jpg

with his mom again

iG2ofTm.jpg

Xgqhm34.jpg

His father

DabbinSauce

Banned
Daps
You don't seem too bright. You chastise me on speaking on the subject and the next paragrap you are trying to get into an argument on what I have posted.
I'm not trying to get into your argument. You are the one who brought eastern european slaves in regards to African American slaves. Maybe you are the one who isn't so bright.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I don't care about the one drop rule but your friend @IllmaticDelta seem to think that these people are should be in line to the next NAACP function. I have varied interests and I won't let you or anyone else keep me from posting on the topics I choose to engage on. If you have a problem with it you could have have used the ignore function provided.

Being dark skinned or "african" looking was never a prerequisite for being down with the NAACP:comeon:

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
@Blackking
Very adult of you. Keep passing off those white people as black I don't care. I just am not drinking the KoolAid that's all. I see these people for what they are, y'all see within the framework of a faulty system that have oppressed you for 5 centuries. Ya they are black because they were slaves...makes a lot of sense
I'm saying if a black person raised by a black person in the black community who isn't a c00n..... is black to me.

Ya'll talking bout great grandparents n shyt queen.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@Blackking
Very adult of you. Keep passing off those white people as black I don't care. I just am not drinking the KoolAid that's all. I see these people for what they are

You come from an old world/racially homogenous people...of course you aren't going to "get" new world ethnic groups are racially hybrid.

y'all see within the framework of a faulty system that have oppressed you for 5 centuries. Ya they are black because they were slaves...makes a lot of sense

They were "black" because they were of african descent not because they were slaves.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I didn't miss the point. You insinuate that because they were categorized as slaves, that made them black be cuz of having African desce I am arguing that blacks are not the only slaves that existed in the world. And them being slaves doesn't mean they were black....in my opinion.
That's it. We aren't talking about opinions just how things are/were here. Being a slave in America you were considered black since they had African descent. Whether we support the one drop rule today or not is irrelevant

-----

This account was for entertainment purposes only.
Daps
Reppin
Paradise
Stop arguinuf with Yup. She doesnt even live in the US. Yet shes obsessed with the ODR.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Stop arguinuf with Yup. She doesnt even live in the US. Yet shes obsessed with the ODR.

The only reason I am writing about it, it's because a thread was made about it. Talking white people black. @IllmaticDelta is posting in support of the ODR but I am the one obsessed, clearly you don't have an argument. I hope I never see you or anyone else in anon related American thread talking about how other blacks should view race.

Sounds familiar?

-----

This account was for entertainment purposes only.
Daps
Reppin
Paradise
The only reason I am writing about it, it's because a thread was made about it. Talking white people black. @IllmaticDelta is posting in support of the ODR but I am the one obsessed, clearly you don't have an argument. I hope I never see you or anyone else in anon related American thread talking about how other blacks should view race.

Sounds familiar?
:dead: Worry about Togo sweetheart.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
The only reason I am writing about it, it's because a thread was made about it. Talking white people black. @IllmaticDelta is posting in support of the ODR but I am the one obsessed,

Im not making posts to support the One Drop (I told you it doesn't even exist anymore) the post Im making are just explaining and laying out how it was and how it is. Im not claiming anyone who doesn't identify as "black".

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I don't see black as an experience but black Americans seem to define black as an experience.

"black" is racial but what made Aframs an ethnic group who cover a wide range of phenotypes is based on our shared experiences in the context of the USA.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
My opinion is not going to be the most popular opinion, but I find this thread interesting and it actually addresses some ideas I been thinking.

African-American=/=black. I'm going to get a lot of heat for that, but from what I've seen it is somewhat truth behind it. African American is the "ethnic group", while "black" is the race.

Its obvious that mixed/biracial people are not and will never will be "black".

But if we're addressing things in the "African-American" entity then yes mixed/biracial black people can be African-American. African-American is not a race, but an ethnic group.

Hope I didn't sound confusing.