The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Nah, there should be more clear distinctions

Too many programs intended to help blacks end up benefitting future Caucasians.
Tbh I am indifferent towards the "one drop rule" especially considering our mixed race population doesn't really have a history in backstabbing us like the mixed race population in Haiti, South Africa, Brazil or even London. "One drop rule" is basically an ADOS identifier and not "Black" in general. However, I feel with genetics being more widespread that the "one drop rule" should become invalid if you are less than 40-45% Black. Especially if your phenotype hardly has any distinctive "African" traits.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
In light of the thread, President of NAACP chapter in Spokane is a white woman wearing blackface and various other threads/comments on the American, One Drop Rule, I felt this this topic needed to better explained and how it can't be separated from AfroAmerican identity.

One of the most hilarious things I keep seeing is that a black person is a c00n if they support the one drop or consider mixed/fair skinned people as "black". This is very idiotic because even though the rule that eventually came to be "One Drop" came from a white supremist POV, in America, there were fair skinned people of African descent identifying as "Black/Afram" long before the rule even existed.

nYEMrEB.jpg

I never posted this in here:

The modern Afram identity which is based on the "Black" concept and influenced by one-droppism, originated with free blacks in places like New York, Philadelphia, Boston etc...in the 1800s

nG5XVUa.jpg

HxJQAne.jpg

1mJIp2B.jpg

ImgvtG9.jpg

XMaw6aA.jpg

this exact process played out when Frederick Douglas who was from the South, went North and encountered "Black Yankees"

Bq4QMc6.jpg

Douglass considered himself to be neither White nor Black, but both. His multiracial self-identity showed in his first autobiography. Introducing his father in Narrative, Douglass wrote, “My father was a white man.” In this text, his mother was a stranger whom he had never seen in daylight, he could not picture her face, and he was unmoved by news of her death.4 Not only did Douglass adopt a fictional Scottish hero’s name, he emphasized his (perhaps imagined) Scots descent through his father.

Douglass’s cruelest discovery came after he broke with the Garrisonians and went out on his own. Abolitionist friends of both endogamous groups had warned him that there was nothing personal in how Garrison had used him. The public did not want an intermediary; they wanted an articulate Black. Douglass soon discovered that his friends were right. His newspaper, The North Star,failed to sell because it had no market; White Yankees wanted to read White publications and Black Yankees wanted to read Black ones. Indeed, Black political leaders resented Douglass’s distancing himself from Black ethno-political society. There was no room in Massachusetts for a man who straddled the color line.

Douglass dutifully reinvented himself. He applied himself to learning Black Yankee culture. “He began to build a closer relationship with… Negro leaders and with the Negro people themselves, to examine the whole range of Negro problems

The clash between how Douglass saw himself in 1838 and the public persona that he was forced to portray, was due to the presence of African-American ethnicity in the North.17 Free citizens of part-African ancestry in the South, especially in the lower South, lacked the sense of common tradition associated with ethnic self-identity.

Essays on the U.S. Color Line » Blog Archive » The Color Line Created African-American Ethnicity in the North

the One Drop Rule as a law by white people wasn't a thing until 1910s-1930s

Strangely enough, the one-drop rule was not made law until the early 20th century. This was decades after the Civil War, emancipation, and the Reconstruction era.

The first challenges to such state laws were overruled by Supreme Court decisions which upheld state constitutions that effectively disfranchised many. White Democratic-dominated legislatures proceeded with passing Jim Crow laws that instituted racial segregation in public places and accommodations, and passed other restrictive voting legislation. In Plessy v. Ferguson, the Supreme Court allowed racial segregation of public facilities, under the "separate but equal" doctrine.

Jim Crow laws reached their greatest influence during the decades from 1910 to 1930. Among them were hypodescent laws, defining as black anyone with any black ancestry, or with a very small portion of black ancestry.[3] Tennessee adopted such a "one-drop" statute in 1910, and Louisiana soon followed. Then Texas and Arkansas in 1911, Mississippi in 1917, North Carolina in 1923, Virginia in 1924, Alabama and Georgia in 1927, and Oklahoma in 1931. During this same period, Florida, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and Utah retained their old "blood fraction" statutes de jure, but amended these fractions (one-sixteenth, one-thirty-second) to be equivalent to one-drop de facto.[18]

Before 1930, individuals of visible mixed European and African ancestry were usually classed as mulatto, or sometimes as black and sometimes as white, depending on appearance. Previously, most states had limited trying to define ancestry before "the fourth degree" (great-great-grandparents).

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Now,to bring this into modern times..Just speaking in the Afram context, how people of African descent identify isn't soley based on "genetic reality" or "biological race". The only prerequisite dealing with genetics/biological race is that the African part is there...after that, how non-African you are doesn't really matter to most. As far as these pred white and/or other heavily mixed types go, how they identify can be influenced from how they were raised to identify, how they're percieved by others to obviously how they personally see themselves. Some examples below..

Ethnogenesis of Afram identity that bypasses phenotype/"true negroism"

gZxOnGC.jpg

FNXUHG7.jpg

p8z15nl.jpg

vkCY2KZ.jpg

v9PKHSW.jpg

^^^^that's fully formed ADOS identity from people who lived/came through Jim Crowism

WEB Dubois' thoughts on how Afram identity developed in contrast to West Indian/Caribbean identity:

Gi53Wrz.png

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
@IllmaticDelta I learned alot from this thread, mane. :wow: But I just have one small objection. I don't feel comfortable using the term "Afro-European" to describe our ethnic group, I prefer to use "Afro/Afram-Creole". Is that more accurate? Seeing as though we're mixed with more than just Anglo-European & Black.

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@IllmaticDelta I learned alot from this thread, mane. :wow: But I just have one small objection. I don't feel comfortable using the term "Afro-European" to describe our ethnic group, I prefer to use "Afro/Afram-Creole". Is that more accurate? Seeing as though we're mixed with more than just Anglo-European & Black.

I only used "AfroEuropean" in this thread in a genetic sense; I would never, as an ethno-cultural identifier. Afram/Afroamerican is the macro term for the ethnic group, 100%.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Oh nah, you're good family, it's just something I wanted to chine in on for clarity. Keep these threads going cuh :win:

No doubt. I would never refer to Aframs as "AfroEuropeans" as an ethnic group:scusthov: Some Aframs in the North back in the day (mid 1800s) did refer to themselves as AfroAnglo/AngloAfricans though...so glad they bushed that:whew:

Hoodoo Child

The Urban Legend
Daps
Reppin
The Crossroads
No doubt. I would never refer to Aframs as "AfroEuropeans" as an ethnic group:scusthov: Some Aframs in the North back in the day (mid 1800s) did refer to themselves as AfroAnglo/AngloAfricans though...so glad they bushed that:whew:
:pachaha:

Maaan listen, I always thought folks who look like this were Biracial, but after going through this thread it really changed my perspective. Irregardless of the heavy admixture, they BOTH have 2 Black parents.

Michael Collins

Michael-Collins-e1547564663445.jpg

JoAnna Rhambo (Actress)

Her parents

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:pachaha:

Maaan listen, I always thought folks who look like this were Biracial, but after going through this thread it really changed my perspective. Irregardless of the heavy admixture, they BOTH have 2 Black parents.

Michael Collins

Michael-Collins-e1547564663445.jpg

JoAnna Rhambo (Actress)

Her parents

genetics and phenotype are heavily random: everyone below has 2 black parents

rqYGslB.png

QLoPKBb.png

RdOLAyC.png

1mt4u8u.png

---vs----

984gZpO.png

and

H9Mx4ZE.jpg

dK1sHkc.jpg

and

TTP6z4C.jpg

XqCKgjm.jpg

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
In light of the thread, President of NAACP chapter in Spokane is a white woman wearing blackface and various other threads/comments on the American, One Drop Rule, I felt this this topic needed to better explained and how it can't be separated from AfroAmerican identity.

One of the most hilarious things I keep seeing is that a black person is a c00n if they suport the one drop or consider mixed/fair skinned people as "black". This is very idiotic because even though the rule that eventually came to be "One Drop" came from a white supremist POV, in America, there were fair skinned people of African descent identifying as "Black/Afram" long before the rule even existed.

nYEMrEB.jpg

:sas2:

80WO9Fs.png