The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

-----

This account was for entertainment purposes only.
Daps
Reppin
Paradise
so what your post was ot addressing me clearly it is a forum where everyone can contribute not a face to face conversation. So now any one with African lineage no matter how small is aa? Many aa have euro lineage why cant they also beseen as euro americans or na? Mixed is one thing, but yall are telling me that someone with2% black blood can label himself aa but not claim black right. So whats the point of labeling someone aa that can be viewed as white or Asian or any other rather black. Can a white person 2% na blood claim native American but white. That doesn't even make sense, isn't the whole aa based on being predominantly of afro lineage? That means a lot of so called people can be labeled as aa without having the black experience in America.

BIITCH, WHY ARE SO OBCESSED WITH THIS ISSUE!!????!!??:mindblown::mindblown::mindblown::mindblown:

:wtf: GET A LIFE DUMBASS!!:birdman:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
so what your post was ot addressing me clearly it is a forum where everyone can contribute not a face to face conversation. So now any one with African lineage no matter how small is aa? Many aa have euro lineage why cant they also beseen as euro americans or na?

have you've paying attention to what I've been posting?:why:

Mixed is one thing, but yall are telling me that someone with2% black blood can label himself aa but not claim black right. So whats the point of labeling someone aa that can be viewed as white or Asian or any other rather black.

All aframs are black regardless of what they look like because they're of african descent

Can a white person 2% na blood claim native American but white.

Of course a white person who is 2% native can claim to be white

That doesn't even make sense, isn't the whole aa based on being predominantly of afro lineage?

That means a lot of so called people can be labeled as aa without having the black experience in America.

if the One Drop Rule was used in it's most literal sense this would be true but it's not and this how you filter out what I was talking about here

My point is Dolezal could find black lineage, you don't knoe your ancestry. Most people don't know the full scope of their lineage anyway. And if she does have black lineage would that make her black..

She's 100% white but even if she did find some african ancestry she wouldn't be black for reasons I already mentioned. She wouldn't have come from generations of acknowledged/or recent "black" identified people. Which is why for example, Sally Hemmings has a "white" branch and a "black" branch of descendants and I wouldn't consider the ones from the "white" branch as "black" because they came from generations of "white" identified people. The fair skinned types in the "Black" branch I would consider Afram.

@ 6:48 you'll see many pictures of the branches

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
US Census

Black or African American alone or in combination - 42,020,743
Black or African American alone - 38,929,319
Black or African American in combination - 3,091,424

What the census defines:

Black or African American - According to OMB, “Black or African American” refers to a person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

The Black racial category includes people who marked the “Black, African Am., or Negro” checkbox. It also includes respondents who reported entries such as African American; Sub-Saharan African entries, such as Kenyan and Nigerian; and Afro-Caribbean entries, such as Haitian and Jamaican.

For example, respondents who reported they were Black or African American and White or Black or African American and Asian and American Indian and Alaska Native would be included in the Black in combination population. This population is also referred to as the multiple-race Black population.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Has some content talking about free blacks (often lighter types) which ties in how they are part of the black experiences of their darker kin

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
uzAjnYz.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
relevant video

Three African-American guests delve deep into their family trees, discovering unexpected stories that challenge our assumptions about black history. Find local listings here: TV Schedule | Watch | Finding Your Roots

Bryant Gumbel learns that his surname comes from a German Jewish community by way of his second great grandfather — a white man who arrived in America midway through the Civil War. He also learns that on a different line of his father’s family, his second great grandfather was a manumitted slave who signed up for the Confederate army in New Orleans, then changed sides when the Union arrived in his city.

Tonya Lewis-Lee, a descendant of free people of color going back centuries on her father’s side, learns about her mother’s unknown heritage, including her third great-grandfather, a slave who fought for the Union only to struggle with poverty later in life.

Suzanne Malveaux discovers that her roots include a black slave owner, a French-Canadian fur trader, and a Native American from the Kaskaskia tribe. Along the way, our guests are reminded that there is no universal African American narrative — that there are as many ways to be black as there are black people.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
relevant video

Three African-American guests delve deep into their family trees, discovering unexpected stories that challenge our assumptions about black history. Find local listings here: TV Schedule | Watch | Finding Your Roots

Bryant Gumbel learns that his surname comes from a German Jewish community by way of his second great grandfather — a white man who arrived in America midway through the Civil War. He also learns that on a different line of his father’s family, his second great grandfather was a manumitted slave who signed up for the Confederate army in New Orleans, then changed sides when the Union arrived in his city.

Tonya Lewis-Lee, a descendant of free people of color going back centuries on her father’s side, learns about her mother’s unknown heritage, including her third great-grandfather, a slave who fought for the Union only to struggle with poverty later in life.

Suzanne Malveaux discovers that her roots include a black slave owner, a French-Canadian fur trader, and a Native American from the Kaskaskia tribe. Along the way, our guests are reminded that there is no universal African American narrative — that there are as many ways to be black as there are black people.

It was some backlash on Gates due to Gumble.

http://cwmemory.com/2017/11/07/henry-louis-gates-and-pbs-fall-for-black-confederate-myth-again/

Henry Louis Gates’s Betrayal of Bryant Gumbel and History