The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
It was either in the Kendrick Lamar girlfriend thread or The Iris girl on tinder thread. Just to keep it real, Ciara and Smoke from Field mob are first cousins. We come in all shades.

Ciara parents

jE8cAte.jpg

SA8hVan.jpg

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I think it has more to do with the mainstreamification of black culture. in the nineties and eighties when underground black music was only popular amongst other black peeple, most female stars looked remotely like the average black woman. Now because black genres and to a certain extent black culture has become mainstream and uve got Stevens and johns going to Dr dre concerts, most female stars now have to appeal to a broader and more diverse demograph. Hence ambiguous/light skinned black women like Beyoncé and ciara are now popular. It's more of a corporate decision than a reflection of the black community.

She's a mullato to me. I could mistaken her as a Moroccan

:francis:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You and @IllmaticDelta are speaking about away. My point is what ties african american is their black lineage and the black experience in the us for 5 centuries. You can have a shared experience but a lineage needs to tie you together within your cultural group. A person who has black lineage far removed cannot identify to black experience period.

Some more context you....

wedWE8t.jpg

MNEohDZ.jpg

John Hope (1868-1936)

Prominent educator and college president John Hope was born on August 2, 1868 in Augusta, Georgia to a bi-racial couple. His father, James Hope, was a Scottish immigrant and his mother, Mary Frances Butts, was a black woman, who had been free prior to the Emancipation Proclamation. The couple lived together as husband and wife, although interracial marriage was prohibited by Georgia law. John Hope himself was very pale and could have passed as white, but stayed true to his black ancestry and dedicated his life to the advancement of African Americans, particularly through the means of higher education.

HoMgFRT.jpg

udlA5sn.jpg

hn8E7vF.jpg

again, him being of african descent and his shared experiences with the community he knew, he turned down the better life of being "white" that his white friends had setup for him and self identified as "Black/Afram"

Last edited:

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
I don't see black as an experience but black Americans seem to define black as an experience. It's like saying someone talks black or dresses black. It's not something you can wear and take off, it's something that you are.
Im still trying to figure out how someone from another country is gonna tell us about OUR experience :patrice:

YOUR experience is completely different than ours :pachaha:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You can't reverse the reality of how "YOU/WE" as a people/ethnicity came about:francis:

You think Prodigy from Mobb Deep questions his blackness or thinks negative of his fair skinned Great-Great-Great-Grandfather who help Found Morehouse College?:mjlol: @ 1:11

http://kollegekidd.com/news/mobb-de...-great-grandfather-founded-morehouse-college/

4bOOjta.jpg

White, William Jefferson (1832-1913): Born to a white planter and mulatto slave, William Jefferson White was a cabinetmaker by trade and minister by vocation. Born in Elbert County, Georgia, he was taken to South Carolina as a child and returned to Augusta as an adult. He trained in carpentry at the Goodrich Lumber Company and later worked as a cabinet and coffin maker for the Platt Brothers, a furniture and undertaking firm. He also worked construction and helped build several churches and schools in the area. Light skinned and blue eyed, White could have easily "passed" but chose to live as a black man. During the 1850s he he organized clandestine schools for slaves and free blacks, earning him the title of "Father of Negro Education" in the Augusta area. In the days following the Civil War, he became an important figure in the early civil rights movement. He worked hard to forge close associations with the white citizenry, started the Harmony Baptist Church, championed Republican Party causes, and sat on the Board of Trustees for Spelman Seminary. In 1867 he founded the Augusta Institute, which is now Morehouse College

http://home.comcast.net/~michigaloot/blacks.html

Of course not....he's a part of Afram/Black history in the USA

John Hope was influenced by prodigy's ggg grandfather since they were both from Georgia...that race pride:blessed:

fExraGb.jpg

RCkEuMy.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
How is that meaningless when you have people from other countries who also had slaves as ancestors but don't consider themselves black? Being called black is a by product of slavery as well but here everybody who would've been a slave is considered black when in other countries that's not the case. That's just the way it is here. If I was from a place like the Dominican I wouldn't even consider myself black and both my parents, all grand and great grand parents are all black. In fact all my great grandparents were the children of former slaves yet some countries don't even consider me black

There are people in Latin America who look like these singing Dominicans who are calling themselves anything but "black"