The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Nope it isn't never claimed to be. The state of Togo is way more complex than what you see on a single picture. The story of blacks around the world...lack of leadership/incompetence and easily corruptible. I am not above criticizing any black group that deserves it. Africans are not an exception just cause I am one.
I wouldn't consider a concrete slab progress

Last edited:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
It's funny, at a time when most ministers were toeing the non-violent passive resistance line, Powell was the first black baptist leader to support Malcolm and give him a platform in his church, which was fairly conservative with a large (the largest black congregation in the US at the time) and influential congregation. Others thought Malcolm and the NOI was too radical. This was during the time when MLK even tried to distance himself from him.

My grandma lives on Adam Clayton Powell Blvd and we would go to events at the state building named after him, so a lot of us grew up knowing he was once that dude in Harlem. It wasn't until I got older that I learned what he'd actually done:heh: check this link...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The Racial Identity of Adam Clayton Powell Jr.: A Case Study in...-a0221086340

Adam Clayton Powell was on that militant vibe:salute:

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
You and your brehs justification for calling white people black is weak simply put. I have not heard one honest/reasonable argument presented for upholding one drop rule today. Whites were indentured servants, not far removed from slaves. I don't agree that struggle/discrimination equates the black experience. That's the recurrent conclusion that I see made. No one wants to broach the subject on when having one drop of black blood doesn't cut it anymore. All the arguments are cyclical...I predict that as biracials/mixed looking people increase in number, black americans will be forced to redefine the black identity. And since so much of being black depends on whites characterization of blackness I suspect that, it will change in time. It's not hard to absorb a nearly white person into the white collective, black grenes aren't that strong when they have been severely diluted to being almost unrecognizable. When whites will start embracing openly white lookibg 'blacks' I sure hope the black commubity has more ammo than 'y'all would have been slaves too in 19 th century america'.

I've never called any whites black.

Just said the thread was an interesting read.

:camby:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
My point is Dolezal could find black lineage, you don't knoe your ancestry. Most people don't know the full scope of their lineage anyway. And if she does have black lineage would that make her black..

She's 100% white but even if she did find some african ancestry she wouldn't be black for reasons I already mentioned. She wouldn't have come from generations of acknowledged/or recent "black" identified people. Which is why for example, Sally Hemmings has a "white" branch and a "black" branch of descendants and I wouldn't consider the ones from the "white" branch as "black" because they came from generations of "white" identified people. The fair skinned types in the "Black" branch I would consider Afram.

@ 6:48 you'll see many pictures of the branches

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Black americans are not that different from Dominicans in their perception of race/coloorism. Y'all just approach the subject from two different extremes. While Dominicans will one drop rule themselves into whiteness...black americans one drop rule into blackness.

:beli: Aframs are embracing "blackness" regardless of phenotype which is anti-eurocentric. The opposite of Dominicans/Latin America.

P.S: I noticed most of the examples posted are of women.

Plenty of men posted...you must feel some type of way about these females to even bring that up as a point.:usure:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I predict that as biracials/mixed looking people increase in number, black americans will be forced to redefine the black identity.

Nope. The "One Drop of visible African ancestry" isn't going anywhere..

‘One-drop rule’ persists

Ho and colleagues presented subjects with computer-generated images of black-white and Asian-white individuals, as well as family trees showing different biracial permutations. They also asked people to report directly whether they perceived biracials to be more minority or white. By using multiple approaches, their work examined both conscious and unconscious perceptions of biracial individuals, presenting the most extensive empirical evidence to date on how they are perceived.

The researchers found, for example, that one-quarter-Asian individuals are consistently considered more white than one-quarter-black individuals, despite the fact that African Americans and European Americans share a substantial degree of genetic heritage.

Using face-morphing technology that presented a series of faces ranging from 5 percent white to 95 percent white, they also found that individuals who were a 50-50 mix of two races, either black-white or Asian-white, were almost never identified by study participants as white. Furthermore, on average, black-white biracials had to be 68 percent white before they were perceived as white; the comparable figure for Asian-white biracials was 63 percent.

“The United States is already a country of ethnic mixtures, but in the near future it will be even more so, and more so than any other country on earth,” says Banaji, Richard Clarke Cabot Professor of Social Ethics at Harvard. “When we see in our data that our own minds are limited in the perception of those who are the products of two different ethnic groups, we recognize how far we have to go in order to have an objectively accurate and fair assessment of people. That’s the challenge for modern minds.”

The team found few differences in how whites and non-whites perceive biracial individuals, with both assigning them with equal frequency to lower-status groups. The researchers are conducting further studies to examine why Americans continue to associate biracials more with their minority parent group.

“The persistence of hypodescent serves to reinforce racial boundaries, rather than moving us toward a race-neutral society,” Ho says.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/12/‘one-drop-rule’-persists/

And since so much of being black depends on whites characterization of blackness I suspect that, it will change in time. It's not hard to absorb a nearly white person into the white collective, black grenes aren't that strong when they have been severely diluted to being almost unrecognizable. When whites will start embracing openly white lookibg 'blacks' I sure hope the black commubity has more ammo than 'y'all would have been slaves too in 19 th century america'.

It will all comeback to family and shared experiences.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
At 6:37 that is what the one drop rule was about. It ain't got shyt to do with people who look like Beyonce or Lisa Raye. They ass was black regardless. It only mattered to people who actually, legitmitely looked white but were known to be of recent African ancestry like the dude in the video. He considers himself black because his family is from a time period in Virginia when the one drop rule was actually real and bout that. It also has nothing to do with bi-racial or light skinned people. I'm pretty sure America has always had a mullatto option, they ass was still a slave though.

The one drop rule was about telling people that they weren't white and keeping them from the white race, not whites attempting to tell us who was black. You foreign blacks and half-breeds don't seem to even know what the one drop rule is about, and the fact that you people think it is still in action today is ridiculous. And the damn thing was probably regional. Everything I've ever read about it always had something to do with Virginia and the Carolinas, and it had a lot to do with Native Americans and the Lumbees too.
where did I say this? The world isn't black or white, iif they weren't considered white, it doesn't mean they were black. All I am saying that just because white people reject people doesn't mean that black people are to accept them into their fold.
:beli: Aframs are embracing "blackness" regardless of phenotype which is anti-eurocentric. The opposite of Dominicans/Latin America.

Plenty of men posted...you must feel some type of way about these females to even bring that up as a point.:usure:

No, not really. I pointed it out because that's what I see. My position remains regardless of gender, I am not blinded that many men embrace the one drop rule because of women.

hoodheronova

All Star
Daps
some real knowledge was dropped in this thread. I've met white people who were considered black in the 1940s/50s; real enlightening OP

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
The one drop rule like the nfl is a purely american product that only works in the continental united states, and no where else..for obvious reasons.
how does an american fooled into believing theyre black their whole life deal with the world beyond the US and identity? you say in your head your black and all, but you wont be living as black in a foreign country though.
I don't see black as an experience but black Americans seem to define black as an experience. It's like saying someone talks black or dresses black. It's not something you can wear and take off, it's something that you are.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
African Americans embracing their blackness despite color is and always will be an act of resistance to white supremacy, not comparable to Dominicans who seek to disavow their blackness at all costs, as an act of cowardice and submission to the notion of white superiority. The fact that you would compare the two shows just how ignorant you are.

Too bad I can't tell my late great-grandmother who picked 50 pounds of cotton a day to feed her babies, because that was the only opportunity afforded to her as a black woman in the segregated South, how privileged she was because she was very light.

Don't forget, I saw you in that other thread, caping for that darker skinned sister who refused to be called black because she identified as Native.You had no problem postulating that she wasn't black even though she had visible SSA Ancestry and little phenotypical native features. Yet here you are, mad that people with visible European and SSA ancestry would call themselves black.

Which leaves me to believe that you have an issue with your own blackness full-stop. Why else would it bother you so that a biracial or light skinned person would embrace their blackness instead of shun it? Is your husband white? Your kids moolatte? Do you ship Olitz?

:mjlol: I'm just putting the pieces of the puzzle together. :ufdup:One last time, for real, stop quoting me.

so because she picked cotton that makes her black? You keep defining being black as an experience. Please post my post where I said that she was native. I simply said why forced people to identify with being black using shaming/scared tactics when they clearly want nothing to do with the black collective. You guys are always playing these games with people who are mixed too. Oh the white man will never consider you one of them, so you are one of us. How pathetic does that sound? She doesn't consider herself black, so be it. I have no issue with my blackness, in fact I am saying that it is those forcing to make mixed people identify with black that have an issue with theirs. I have no problem with blacks being identified as mainly brown to dark brown people, because that's what black people. The average black person does not look like the people posted in this thread. That's fact...you keep trying to make it about me having an issue with my skin tone in attempt dismiss me and to not actually address my arguments. Typical whenever the subject of colorism is discussed on here.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
No, not really. I pointed it out because that's what I see. My position remains regardless of gender, I am not blinded that many men embrace the one drop rule because of women.

I posted more males than females in this thread:stopitslime: