The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Portrait2.jpg
CHILLIN WIT MY BLACK QUEEN YALL

But seriously this thread is disgusting and delusional. I used to be on that whole everyone with any black family member is black bullshyt but I'm glad I got out of it. I honestly now think it's because nikkas want fair skin/white women to wife and still act like they're down for the cause.

This bullshyt has never and never will be helpful and has only been used to our demise. nikkas talking about it brings us together with mulattoes. nikka since fukking when? Did I miss the this black unity summit we all of a sudden came to? And it'd be nice if we actually DID come together to actually do anything in this country but we haven't.

This shytty rhetoric has undoubtedly done exponentially more to harm us and have our organizations infiltrated. The shyt has done nothing for us instead of having nikkas not feel guilty because their girl has a black great grandmother.
What do you think is a viable solution to this problem?:ld:

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
They didn't choose to be black:dead:

Who in their right mind would make the choice to be black during that time in America if they didn't have to :heh:

Yes they chose. They could have easily not said they were and none would be the wiser. There is nothing differentiating them from a white person other than a dna test indicating that they have black lineage. And I am willing to bet many people that you consider white and that consider themselves white would be 'black' too. Point is, the US could not effectively enforced the one drop rule because it is ludicrous and impossible to trace the lineage of each possible white looking 'black' person. After a while, it is the heritage that you are most of that counts. Or else there's a lot of white people that are black too.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
Portrait2.jpg

But seriously this thread is disgusting and delusional. I used to be on that whole everyone with any black family member is black bullshyt but I'm glad I got out of it. I honestly now think it's because nikkas want fair skin/white women to wife and still act like they're down for the cause.

This bullshyt has never and never will be helpful and has only been used to our demise. nikkas talking about it brings us together with mulattoes. nikka since fukking when? Did I miss the this black unity summit we all of a sudden came to? And it'd be nice if we actually DID come together to actually do anything in this country but we haven't.

This shytty rhetoric has undoubtedly done exponentially more to harm us and have our organizations infiltrated. The shyt has done nothing for us instead of having nikkas not feel guilty because their girl has a black great grandmother.

Thank you.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Yes they chose. They could have easily not said they were and none would be the wiser. There is nothing differentiating them from a white person other than a dna test indicating that they have black lineage. And I am willing to bet many people that you consider white and that consider themselves white would be 'black' too. Point is, the US could not effectively enforced the one drop rule because it is ludicrous and impossible to trace the lineage of each possible white looking 'black' person. After a while, it is the heritage that you are most of that counts. Or else there's a lot of white people that are black too.
I can tell you are smart but your really showing your ignorance of U.S. history. Those white folks knew exactly who had black lineage and who didn't. They were obsessed with that shyt. Theres countless stories of people who were able to pass for white and somehow it was found out they had black ancestors, so away went their rights

:mjlol: @ people choosing to live a life of oppression rather than experiencing a life of white privilege

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
I can tell you are smart but your really showing your ignorance of U.S. history. Those white folks knew exactly who had black lineage and who didn't. They were obsessed with that shyt. Theres countless stories of people who were able to pass for white and somehow it was found out they had black ancestors, so away went their rights

:mjlol: @ people choosing to live a life of oppression rather than experiencing a life of white privilege
The system is flawed and there is no way to trace every single person's lineage. And even if wasI

the case, it still doesn't make these people black, just victims to a stringent system that is trying to maintain racial purity and just pure vindictiveness. I am willing to bet that some whites were accused to be black for many reasons: being black apologists, ruin someone's reputation, etc...I am willing to be not all 'blacks' actual had black lineage.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Portrait2.jpg

:mjpls:

bshN1fj.jpg

7dLzJxL.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

yes, the Afram heritage that this woman is speaking of:blessed:

tep9Cnr.jpg

jyCmfjF.jpg

Janice Kingslow

poWuUtW.jpg

KSm3ktI.jpg

Janice Kingslow: Refusing to Pass

Often, researchers at Shorefront ask the question, “What was going on at this time?” when they come across incidents relating to their research topics. Sometimes, we fall into the trap of applying today’s thoughts to yesterday’s events that can lead to a misinterpretation of a past event. However, there are times when you come across a pivotal action that shaped the racial and social discourse across the nation. For today, a past event can have one reflect if discussions have changed or continue unchanged.

Janice Kingslow was one of several who, during the 1950s, sparked conversations in blending in, or not, in greater society. Janice, a well-known actress with a deal of a lifetime in front of her, chose a different path to maintain her identity.

Born in West Virginia to Harry E. and Virginia E. Warren Kingslow, the family moved to Evanston when she was just an infant. Her early years there led her involvement in St. Andrews Church and attended school at Dewey Elementary, Nichols Junior High School and Evanston Township High School. Her family moved to Chicago’s Hyde Park where she finished at Hyde Park High School around 1941.

What good was fame or money if I lost myself?

Janice’s career in acting began early performing as a puppeteer in various schools and other venues. Her big break took place in 1946 when she became understudy for Hilda Sims in the play “Anna Lucasta”, a role in which she eventually took over.

From there, she went on to perform in the Peabody Award winning radio series, Destination Freedom as well as Here Comes Tomorrow and Democracy USA radio series (1948-52). Janice was also one of the founders of the Chicago DuBois Theater Guild (1948).

However, when she was presented a Hollywood contract that would launch her career to new heights, there was a clause. In an article Janice penned, “I Refuse to Pass” that appeared in the May 1950 issue of Negro Digest, she wrote:

“What good was fame or money if I lost myself? This wasn’t just a question of choosing a pleasant-sounding false name to fit on the theatre marquee. This meant stripping my life clear of everything I was. Everything that had happened to me.”

In the contract, Janice was asked to change her name and take on a white identity.

In a conversation with newspaper editor, Melvin Smith, in the Evanston Newsette, she relayed a story to him while she was on a bus traveling home from Michigan. A “young white fellow” sat next to here and struck up a pleasant conversation. After a while he began to ask about her national origin. After going through a long list, he asked:

“You. . . you. . . you aren’t. . . a Jewess?”, [Janice laughed] ‘Then the thought that had least entered his mind came forth’ “Why, you’re a n___r!” He declared.’”

“’I am a Negro,’ Janice corrected soberly.”

Janice’s stance in her identity was an important part of her life
. It leaves one to wonder what and who were her influences. Was it her parent’s influence? Her involvement in St. Andrews Church in Evanston – like many churches, known for instilling history and pride? Was it her self-determination? It leaves one to ponder the influences and historic implications.

Race, culture and identity had, for decades, been a hot topic of discussion. Yet, at the cusp of the 1960s civil rights movement, here was a young woman who chose to make a public statement than to sell her identity for financial gain. A choice she made during a time where many people of color, let alone one who could “pass”, faced career ending choices that played a part in changing the face of American history.

Citi Trends

aka milobased
Daps
Reppin
C.I.T.I
What do you think is a viable solution to this problem?:ld:
create an actual cutoff point for claiming black in business/political/government endeavors
I don't have a problem with someone with a white parent who can pass for light skinned, but some of the people in this thread should not be held in the forefront(regardless if they have a black parent, which i'm sure they don't) because they choose to identify themselves as black but society wise they are not in the same situation a darker skinned black is unless they go around telling their roots. They can be pro black and be down or whatever but for political purposes i don't think it's wise.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
create an actual cutoff point for claiming black in business/political/government endeavors
I don't have a problem with someone with a white parent who can pass for light skinned, but some of the people in this thread should not be held in the forefront(regardless if they have a black parent, which i'm sure they don't) because they choose to identify themselves as black but society wise they are not in the same situation a darker skinned black is unless they go around telling their roots. They can be pro black and be down or whatever but for political purposes i don't think it's wise.

Even if they did it they still wouldn't be viewed as black.

Daps
Reppin
X

It's funny, at a time when most ministers were toeing the non-violent passive resistance line, Powell was the first black baptist leader to support Malcolm and give him a platform in his church, which was fairly conservative with a large (the largest black congregation in the US at the time) and influential congregation. Others thought Malcolm and the NOI was too radical. This was during the time when MLK even tried to distance himself from him.

My grandma lives on Adam Clayton Powell Blvd and we would go to events at the state building named after him, so a lot of us grew up knowing he was once that dude in Harlem. It wasn't until I got older that I learned what he'd actually done:heh: check this link...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The Racial Identity of Adam Clayton Powell Jr.: A Case Study in...-a0221086340

Adam's first encounter with race was traumatic. It occurred when he was about ten years old and was sent by his father on an errand to purchase a newspaper. He ran into a gang of Negro boys from the black side of Harlem who wanted to know his race. Being unsure, he looked at his skin and told them he was white, which immediately resulted in his being administered a good whipping. The next day he was sent on another errand and ran into a gang of white boys from the white side of Harlem who also demanded that he tell them what race he was. Remembering what occurred previously, he told them he was "colored" and received another beating. :dead:

Adam later told his first wife, Isabel Washington, that he was "neither fish nor fowl." He said, "the Irish boys would beat him because he wouldn't admit being white, and the blacks would beat him because he wasn't black enough to be black." The experience was life-changing because it sowed the seeds of his discovery that being black transcended color.

Powell's father and mother were as fair skinned as Adam, but had always identified as black. Powell Sr. was an advocate of racial pride who stated that he never desired to be anything other than a Negro. He used to declare, Isabel Washington said, that "God made the most beautiful flower garden in the world when he made the colored race. He made 'em from alabaster white to ebony black and all colors in between." Yet, when Adam appealed to him for help in understanding his race, he was ignored. All his father would say was that he was "mixed," which only added to Adam's confusion. At home, Adam said, "there was never any consciousness of race." (

Eta: Oh snap, just found this out, Isabel Washington ACP Jr's first wife was actress Fredi Washington's sister. Their parents were black, Isabel's on the right. Fredi (on the left, obvs) could pass) but refused to...
ghCOLLAGE.JPG

Throughout her life, Washington was often asked if she ever wanted to "pass" for white. Washington, a proud black woman, answered conclusively, "No." She said this repeatedly, "I don't want to pass because I can't stand insincerities and shams. I am just as much Negro as any of the others identified with the race."

"I have never tried to pass for white and never had any desire, I am proud of my race. In 'Imitation of Life', I was showing how a girl might feel under the circumstances but I am not showing how I felt."
"I am an American citizen and by God, we all have inalienable rights and wherever those rights are tampered with, there is nothing left to do but fight...and I fight. How many people do you think there are in this country who do not have mixed blood, there's very few if any, what makes us who we are, are our culture and experience. No matter how white I look, on the inside I feel black. There are many whites who are mixed blood, but still go by white, why such a big deal if I go as Negro, because people can't believe that I am proud to be a Negro and not white. To prove I don't buy white superiority I chose to be a Negro."

That's the crux of it, what separates African Americans from Dominicans and the like:francis:

Last edited:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
The one drop rule like the nfl is a purely american product that only works in the continental united states, and no where else..for obvious reasons.
how does an american fooled into believing theyre black their whole life deal with the world beyond the US and identity? you say in your head your black and all, but you wont be living as black in a foreign country though.

Yup

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Life
It's funny, at a time when most ministers were toeing the non-violent passive resistance line, Powell was the first black baptist leader to support Malcolm and give him a platform in his church, which was fairly conservative with a large (the largest black congregation in the US at the time) and influential congregation. Others thought Malcolm and the NOI was too radical. This was during the time when MLK even tried to distance himself from him.

My grandma lives on Adam Clayton Powell Blvd and we would go to events at the state building named after him, so a lot of us grew up knowing he was once that dude in Harlem. It wasn't until I got older that I learned what he'd actually done:heh: check this link...

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The Racial Identity of Adam Clayton Powell Jr.: A Case Study in...-a0221086340

Eta: Oh snap, just found this out, Isabel Washington ACP Jr's first wife was actress Fredi Washington's sister. Their parents were black, Isabel's on the right. Fredi (on the left, obvs) could pass) but refused to...
ghCOLLAGE.JPG

That's the crux of it, what separates African Americans from Dominicans and the like:francis:
Just cause you call yourself black does it make it so. Look at Dolezal. She is a mixed women with black lineage.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
The one drop rule like the nfl is a purely american product that only works in the continental united states, and no where else..for obvious reasons.
how does an american fooled into believing theyre black their whole life deal with the world beyond the US and identity? you say in your head your black and all, but you wont be living as black in a foreign country though.

Why would any Black want to live in a foreign land where they have it even worse :mjlol:

Yes, I want to live in Brazil, Angola or UK where Black people are essentially hopeless and mulattos who have their own class oppress them along with cacs :heh: