The "1 Drop Rule" explained and how it's tied to AfroAmerican identity

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
You guys are so silly. You hold black people up to this one drop standard but never hold white people up to them.

Tell me why white people or any other American ethnicity or group doesn't have to up hold this but black people do?

Black people in america have a very unique history. I know its sounds crazy but one drop actually helped black americans.

One drop grouped the mullatos and blacks together making us a more organized/bigger unit. Now look at latin america "black people" .

Just a one big mess of people who have little pride, structure etc Were looking at the bigger picture and thats the most important thing.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
You guys are so silly. You hold black people up to this one drop standard but never hold white people up to them.

Tell me why white people or any other American ethnicity or group doesn't have to up hold this but black people do?

You KNOW why... there is no damn reason we should be holding on to this shyt in 2015.

But you know why we do...

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I don't understand your point. I doubt 1/3rd of whites have black ancestry as most studies do not produce the same result.

Obviously it's based on the samples they tested. So 1/3 of that sample showed white americans were part african

It merely article shows a graph which shows that genetic admixture is correlated apperance in African Americans. The article says: "In this diagram you can see a positive correlation between skin tone and African admixture. If you are African American, the more African ancestry you have, the higher your melanin index". In other words, the more African ancestry you have, the darker your skin on average.

It explained clearly how the one drop works:

"
Whites’ Skin Tone as Function of Admixture

The combination of narrow phenotype variation (skin tone) along with a wide range of inter-population (Afro-European) admixture variation among White Americans shows that a selection process has taken place. Few human populations display such a clear mark of selection. Narrow phenotype variation alone does not necessarily indicate selection. Northern Europeans display little skin tone variation, but they lack a wide range of African admixture. Broad genotype variation alone does not necessarily indicate selection. Puerto Ricans average 50-50 Afro-European admixture, but they also display a wide range of skin tones. The late Stephen J. Gould, Harvard biology professor and columnist for Natural History magazine, used to explain this principle with a baseball analogy. Plot a scatter diagram of the batting averages of a thousand amateur or minor-league players and you will find a very large range of variation. A few such players are very bad, a few are very good, and most spread across the entire range of batting averages in-between. Now plot the batting averages of professional athletes in the major leagues. All are very good indeed. More importantly, the range of batting averages among them is tiny. The difference between an outstanding star of the game and a rookie is a matter of mere hundredths of a percentage point. The reason, of course, is because you cannot get into the majors unless you are very good at it. Similarly, wild cows vary greatly in the amount of milk that they produce. The cows in a dairy farm produce more milk on average but, more importantly, their milk production varies very little among themselves (compared to wild cows). The reason? Those cows who do not make the cut become hamburger.

And so, why do few if any White Americans display a strongly African appearance (have a high melanin index) despite having detectable African admixture? Because those Americans who “look Black” are assigned involuntarily to the Black endogamous group, whatever their genetic admixture. The scatter diagrams of the two endogamous U.S. groups are not symmetrical because the selection process acts only upon the White group. As revealed in court records, discussed elsewhere, a person of mixed ancestry who “looks European” (like Dr. Shriver or his maternal grandfather) in practice has the option of either adopting a White self-identity, thus joining the White endogamous group or a Black self-identity, thus joining the other group. But a person of mixed ancestry who “looks African” lacks such a choice. U.S. society assigns such a person to membership in the Black endogamous group, like it or not.25

In conclusion, U.S. society has unwittingly applied selection pressure to the color line. The only American families accepted into the White endogamous group have been those whose African admixture just happened not to include the half-dozen alleles for dark skin (or the other physical traits associated with “race”). Since those particular alleles were sifted out of the portion of the White population that originated in biracial families, the relative percentage of the remaining, invisible, African alleles in this population cannot affect skin color. That skin-color does not vary with African genetic admixture among American Whites, despite their measureably recent African admixture, demonstrates and confirms that physical appearance has been an important endogamous group membership criterion throughout U.S. history. It has resulted in genetic selection of the White U.S. population for a European “racial” appearance, regardless of their underlying continent-of-ancestry admixture ratio."

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Black people in america have a very unique history. I know its sounds crazy but one drop actually helped black americans.

One drop grouped the mullatos and blacks together making us a more organized/bigger unit. Now look at latin america "black people" .

Just a one big mess of people who have little pride, structure etc Were looking at the bigger picture and thats the most important thing.
I am not talking about mulatos or black people. I'm talking OP trying to pass off white people as black just because they have a little black ancestry. lets ignore 75% or greater of their ancestry.

Lewis Black

Superstar
Daps
I am not talking about mulatos or black people. I'm talking OP trying to pass off white people as black just because they have a little black ancestry. lets ignore 75% or greater of their ancestry.

LOL oh i got ya, yeah them dudes are white. If they wanna be down and support the cause its all good but to me they are white.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

We don't care about those white people

Tell me why white people

:dwillhuh: white people/white american identity is/was based on being 100% related to Europeans. Since they were the enslavers of Africans and Native Americans, you would expect these new world ethnic groups that never existed before the Atlantic slave trade/America's colonization, to show this genetically.

or any other American ethnicity or group doesn't have to up hold this but black people do?

As far as Aframs go, the American color line, One Drop, Black Codes and Jim Crow all played a part in creating our modern identity. The previous 150+ years that created the "Afram" identity can't be reversed....

Origins of African-American Ethnicity or African-American Ethnic Traits

The newly formed Black Yankee ethnicity of the early 1800s differed from today’s African-American ethnicity. Modern African-American ethnic traits come from a post-bellum blending of three cultural streams: the Black Yankee ethnicity of 1830, the slave traditions of the antebellum South, and the free Creole or Mulatto elite traditions of the lower South. Each of the three sources provided elements of the religious, linguistic, and folkloric traditions found in today’s African-American ethnicity.30

http://essays.backintyme.biz/item/19

jns9fn9.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You KNOW why... there is no damn reason we should be holding on to this shyt in 2015.

But you know why we do...

You can't reverse the reality of how "YOU/WE" as a people/ethnicity came about:francis:

You think Prodigy from Mobb Deep questions his blackness or thinks negative of his fair skinned Great-Great-Great-Grandfather who help Found Morehouse College?:mjlol: @ 1:11

http://kollegekidd.com/news/mobb-de...-great-grandfather-founded-morehouse-college/

4bOOjta.jpg

White, William Jefferson (1832-1913): Born to a white planter and mulatto slave, William Jefferson White was a cabinetmaker by trade and minister by vocation. Born in Elbert County, Georgia, he was taken to South Carolina as a child and returned to Augusta as an adult. He trained in carpentry at the Goodrich Lumber Company and later worked as a cabinet and coffin maker for the Platt Brothers, a furniture and undertaking firm. He also worked construction and helped build several churches and schools in the area. Light skinned and blue eyed, White could have easily "passed" but chose to live as a black man. During the 1850s he he organized clandestine schools for slaves and free blacks, earning him the title of "Father of Negro Education" in the Augusta area. In the days following the Civil War, he became an important figure in the early civil rights movement. He worked hard to forge close associations with the white citizenry, started the Harmony Baptist Church, championed Republican Party causes, and sat on the Board of Trustees for Spelman Seminary. In 1867 he founded the Augusta Institute, which is now Morehouse College

http://home.comcast.net/~michigaloot/blacks.html

Of course not....he's a part of Afram/Black history in the USA

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
You can't reverse the reality of how "YOU/WE" as a people/ethnicity came about:francis:

You think Prodigy from Mobb Deep questions his blackness or thinks negative of his fair skinned Great-Great-Great-Grandfather who help Found Morehouse College?:mjlol: @ 1:11

http://kollegekidd.com/news/mobb-de...-great-grandfather-founded-morehouse-college/

4bOOjta.jpg

White, William Jefferson (1832-1913): Born to a white planter and mulatto slave, William Jefferson White was a cabinetmaker by trade and minister by vocation. Born in Elbert County, Georgia, he was taken to South Carolina as a child and returned to Augusta as an adult. He trained in carpentry at the Goodrich Lumber Company and later worked as a cabinet and coffin maker for the Platt Brothers, a furniture and undertaking firm. He also worked construction and helped build several churches and schools in the area. Light skinned and blue eyed, White could have easily "passed" but chose to live as a black man. During the 1850s he he organized clandestine schools for slaves and free blacks, earning him the title of "Father of Negro Education" in the Augusta area. In the days following the Civil War, he became an important figure in the early civil rights movement. He worked hard to forge close associations with the white citizenry, started the Harmony Baptist Church, championed Republican Party causes, and sat on the Board of Trustees for Spelman Seminary. In 1867 he founded the Augusta Institute, which is now Morehouse College

http://home.comcast.net/~michigaloot/blacks.html

Of course not....he's a part of Afram/Black history in the USA

NO shyt you can't reverse the past. But that doesn't mean you need to keep subscribing to the same fukking rule. :mindblown:

This is 2015 not 1856 or 1960 man

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
NO shyt you can't reverse the past. But that doesn't mean you need to keep subscribing to the same fukking rule. :mindblown:

The rule doesn't exist anymore

This is 2015 not 1856 or 1960 man

Im suppose to wipe out the line of thinking that bonded my people through shared experiences (Afram) as a group just because some people are mad that light and fair skinned Aframs exist? Doing that, I would be denying my own family/blood with similar phenotypes:what:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
The rule doesn't exist anymore

Im suppose to wipe out the line of thinking that bonded my people through shared experiences (Afram) as a group just because some people are mad that light and fair skinned Aframs exist? Doing that, I would be denying my own family/blood with similar phenotypes:what:

lol yes it does still exist. AA's are keeping the rule alive.

Also yeah it's time to wipe out that line of thinking. I ain't saying you gotta deny your fam.. because shyt my mom and aunts are light skinned... but a fukking line has got to be drawn now.

For our people to have unity...
UNITY implies UNIFORMITY

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
lol yes it does still exist. AA's are keeping the rule alive.

The legacy of it still exists but it's not a rule

Also yeah it's time to wipe out that line of thinking. I ain't saying you gotta deny your fam.. because shyt my mom and aunts are light skinned... but a fukking line has got to be drawn now.

For our people to have unity...
UNITY implies UNIFORMITY

We're uniformly Afram which encompasses an Afro-European genetic reality.

bshN1fj.jpg