Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
I had 2 recruiter calls today. One job seemed like it sucked; the other one is hybrid and sounded pretty good.

From my end, the market sucks. Salaries aren't as high as they should be and I'm not seeing the good roles out there.
If you got a decent gig. I wouldn’t move for the sake of moving unless it’s a positional change.

Like:
analyst to senior analyst
Senior analyst to manager
Manager to director
Director to executive

And the pay increase is 35%

Bonus if it’s in a stable field like healthcare, energy or a state / local government gig.

I’m holding firm until we start seeing startups pop up again with greater frequency.

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Crazy part is I don't think the economy will be a major focus of the election, maybe inflation but not jobs
According to the reports unemployment is low and the stock market ( the economy that matters) is booming
I put my linkedin on "open to work" and have been getting 3rd party recruiters looking for big banks but none of the Amazon, MSFT, Pinterest type companies I was hearing from during the pandemic are holla'ing yet

What are the reports saying for:
-full-time employment
-tech industry
-full-time tech industry

Germms

All Star
Daps
Reppin
∞ 216 ∞
Crazy bro me and a FEW yeah a FEW of my coworkers got laid off today. Like more than half the office.

shyt crazy out here but I think it was my company making bad investments and now they chopping shyt down.
Venting.

Interestingly enough, they laid off and gave severance to the people who’ve been there pretty long. Top dogs included. I’m talking some cold mf’s who really worked the craziest events.

It’s definitely money but it also was the return to office policy kicking in. Someone told me at a meeting that people have to start coming back in 5 days a week. Hell naw lmao. Then on top of that told people if you don’t want to come in you can quit. No severance, just pack your shyt.

So I’m kinda glad they let me go but I’m mad as hell I’m out here flinging my resume around hoping to be picked. shyt is frustrating but it’s the game.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
If you got a decent gig. I wouldn’t move for the sake of moving unless it’s a positional change.

Like:
Manager to director
Director to executive

Bonus if it’s in a stable field like healthcare, energy or a state / local government gig.

I’m holding firm until we start seeing startups pop up again with greater frequency.
We're praying for @Sonny Bonds :to:

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Venting.

Interestingly enough, they laid off and gave severance to the people who’ve been there pretty long. Top dogs included. I’m talking some cold mf’s who really worked the craziest events.

It’s definitely money but it also was the return to office policy kicking in. Someone told me at a meeting that people have to start coming back in 5 days a week. Hell naw lmao. Then on top of that told people if you don’t want to come in you can quit. No severance, just pack your shyt.

So I’m kinda glad they let me go but I’m mad as hell I’m out here flinging my resume around hoping to be picked. shyt is frustrating but it’s the game.

Good thing you didn't voluntarily quit
But the rule is always be looking....
a)seriously always be looking....
b)remote (usually companies that are more open to remote have better benefits and pay more

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Like:
Manager to director
Director to executive

Decent = Job security
...in my opinion there no such thing as job security
just updating your resume
applying to remote jobs and interviewing

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Dude is one of the best honestly.

@11:15 the rate of improvement is slow? :gucci:

we went from 3.5 to a multi-modal model that can handle larger context and has shown improvements in several benchmark domains.

there are open source foundation models are better than chatgpt 3.5 .

i'm keeping an eye on this : SWE-bench

edit:

1/11
Hot take: if you are shipping 10x faster with LLMs that says more about how bad you are at coding than how good LLMs are.

And trust me, I know a lot about being bad at coding.

2/11
Citation:

Why is everyone LYING?

3/11
Your customers don't care about this crap ...they want value...

4/11
Value is coming, adding 85 animations to DSA for beginners course today. Next week launching Database course. After that planning Java for coding interviews as well as many other changes coming soon

5/11
does it matter?
I'm doing my job, shopping them features good.

making money for my company and value for the customers.

when I have a coding assistant, I better be focusing on the problem and get going.

6/11
Th only point I'm making is if you 10x a small number it's not as impressive as it sounds

7/11
LLMs are really good to learn programming with, but an exit strategy is needed so you don't become reliant on them long-term

8/11
Not just hot, a poor one as well.

So essentially you’re saying that pilots using the autopilot are bad at flying?

9/11
Banger video earlier… LLMs are good for single units… that’s it. I’ve found they sped up my unit testing process the most and that is it. They are ok for putting a framework or some boiler plate… but as you pointed out… we gotta use our brains to solve the problems… and LLMs are wrong a lot… I mean a lot!

10/11

11/11
or it’s a measure of the emphasis you put on “good coding” vs. “timely impact” of your solutions

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

1/5
Hot take: if you are shipping 10x faster with LLMs that says more about how bad you are at coding than how good LLMs are.

And trust me, I know a lot about being bad at coding.

2/5
Have you seen Riley Brown's video on this subject

Think what he's doing is far better case study to look at then the case study you tried to use

3/5
There are a million note taking app examples out there so I'm not surprised ChatGPT can hawk tuah one for you

4/5
Sure there dozen examples that use the same layout neetcode uses for his website.

How many people when building something are just copying and pasting from stackoverflow or using projects on github as a base.

Just because it's not out there building Facebook for scratch doesn't mean the fact that it build out (are chunk of your design layout and some of your simple backend operations while having very knowledge Javascript, css and etc isn't a major productivity hack

5/5
I literally don't know anything about code.

just copy pasta...

for now.

To post tweets in this format, more info here: https://www.thecoli.com/threads/tips-and-tricks-for-posting-the-coli-megathread.984734/post-52211196

1/11
OMG!!!!! 6 Days Ago I had never written a line of code in my life.

But I just deployed my first note taking web app with a back end that stores the data, using Claude, Replit, and Google Firebase.

Just brute forced asked Claude questions alternating between 2 accounts to get around the limits, AND STILL running out of credits on both accounts.

Just about 4.5 hours later I had a custom Notes app in the style that I wanted.

I obviously don't have any programming "hard skills", but my understanding of what is possible with code has increased 1,000,000%...

I would share link but i don't think my code protects my API tokens or whatever... I got confused on that part.

---

Next step is adding perplexity and claude API into the app. :smile:

Posting full video making this on youtube at some point, idk when, its 3AM, off to bed...

much love.

2/11
ok here's the video of me making it

3/11
Wait until your app makes an infinite loop over firebase and watch your credit card getting drowned.

4/11
thanks for bringing this up.

The fact that there's no dollar amount cap that you can set seems messed up:

Do you know of alternatives that allow for a hard dollar cap where it just shuts off after a dollar amount is hit?

5/11
The message from Nvidia’s CEO is becoming a a reality. He said that kids should not learn to code as AI will eventually do it all . They just need to know how to prompt LLM’s . Great video, very encouraging for frustrated non coders like myself

6/11
the future is bright

7/11
THIS is amazing
I’ve been looking for something exactly like this!

Thankyou for the share!

8/11
Love to see this, Riley :smile: great work.

9/11
Hell yeah. Went thru this phase last year 😂😂 crazy feeling

10/11
Would love to talk! I’m not super advanced in coding, but have written a decent amount and am an educator by training and have taught code to newbies - might be able to make good content together

11/11
This was so awesome to see!

GSzqRGRXwAAa5SN.jpg

Last edited:

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Developers aren’t worried that gen AI will steal their jobs, Stack Overflow survey reveals​

Sean Michael Kerner@TechJournalist

July 24, 2024 7:00 AM

Credit: Image generated by VentureBeat using Stable Diffusion 3

Credit: Image generated by VentureBeat using Stable Diffusion 3

Join our daily and weekly newsletters for the latest updates and exclusive content on industry-leading AI coverage. Learn More

Generative AI is having a dramatic impact on many industries, including software development.

In a revealing snapshot of the global software development ecosystem, developer knowledge platformStack Overflow is out today with a new report that exposes a nuanced interplay between AI and the coding community.

Stack Overflow’s 2024 Developer Survey is based on responses from more than 65,000 developers across 185 countries. The survey offers key insights into the evolving tech landscape, focusing on gen AI and its impact on developers. Stack Overflow itself is no stranger to the world of gen AI. Stack Overflow has its own set of tools, includingOverflowAI to help developers.

Among the key findings in Stack Overflow’s 2024 Developer Survey:

• AI tool usage among developers increased to 76% in 2024, up from 70% in 2023

• Despite increased usage, AI favorability decreased from 77% to 72%

• Only 43% of respondents trust the accuracy of AI tools

• 81% of developers cite increased productivity as the top benefit of AI tools

• Misinformation emerges as the top AI-related ethical concern (79%)

A surprising finding was that 70% of professional developers don’t see AI as a threat to their jobs.

“Although we at Stack Overflow have been vocal about the fact that AI tools should help create more opportunities for developers – given the economic climate of late, I was expecting responses to be closer to 50/50,” Erin Yepis, senior analyst, market research and insights, told VentureBeat.

Why gen AI isn’t going to replace developers anytime soon​

The fear from some that gen AI might replace developers is actually somewhat misplaced. What might actually be the case is that gen AI is increasing the number of developers rather than reducing the need for them.

“We believe that generative AI will democratize coding and grow the developer community by several folds,” Ryan Polk, Chief Product Officer at Stack Overflow told VentureBeat. “If there are 20-25 million developers now, this could lead to a 10x growth of this important group.”

Polk noted that gen AI coding tools can help developers in their day-to-day efforts. He sees it as a “Better Together” approach in terms of gen AI development tools and sites like Stack Overflow. For example, Polks said that AI-code completion and generator tools paired with deep context and knowledge tools like Stack Overflow provide a powerful combination. He believes AI-powered code generators will reduce time spent on boilerplate code, letting developers focus on complex problems.

“While gen AI tools can complement the resources available to developers, only Stack Overflow’s community expertise with accurate and sourced content complements these tools and is an invaluable resource for coding teams,” Polk said.

The flow of information from Stack Overflow to gen AI works both ways. Users can come to Stack Overflow to get answers and Stack Overflow partners with leading AI vendors to help train models. Among Stack Overflow’s partnerships is one with Google Cloud which was announced in February. Another key partnership for Stack Overflow emerged in May with OpenAI.

Why developers have a less favorable view of gen AI this year​

Among the declining statistics in the 2024 report is a metric on favorability. In 2023, 77% of respondents had a favorable view of gen AI developer tools, which fell to 72% in 2024.

Yepis explained that favorability is top-box grouping for the Likert scale question of “How favorable is your stance on using AI tools as part of your development workflow?”

“Our hypothesis is that more people are getting a chance to try gen AI tools and are disappointed in their experience,” Yepis said. “Context is key, there is nuance in the type of role and the type of AI tool that could be contributing to this.”

Why developers lack trust in gen AI tools and how that (might) improve

A lack of trust in gen AI developer tools was another top-level finding in the report. This ties into the well-known issue of AI hallucination, which is a significant concern for developers.

Polk noted that attribution and the ability to decipher context continue to be issues for users. From this year’s survey, the top three ethical issues related to AI that developers are concerned with: AI’s potential to circulate misinformation (79%), missing or incorrect attribution for sources of data (65%) and bias that does not represent a diversity of viewpoints (50%).

“Gen AI is only as good as its data, garbage in, garbage out,” he said. “The truth is key for AI models.”

In Polk’s view, Stack Overflow and its users have a role to play in helping to overcome trust issues. He noted that Stack Overflow believes engaged developers and shared answers from a community will ensure AI’s future success. Polk emphasized that user trust in data, technology, and community knowledge is crucial amid misinformation in gen AI solutions.

“This is at the heart of why Stack has been focused on our OverflowAPI partnerships with AI and cloud companies to responsibly share content from Stack Overflow for various AI and [large language model] LLM use cases,” Polk said. “Our goal with OverflowAPI, and our work to advance the era of socially responsible AI, is to set new standards with vetted, trusted, and accurate data that will be the foundation on which technology solutions are built and delivered to our users.”