Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is actually a good thing imo:

The idea of big salaries and wfh became too popular, so it saturated the field.

I think salaries will eventually see bounce back. Maybe not back to where it was, but something, somewhat similar

Been wyldin' out with OE both jobs have RTO mandates smh
J1...requested back to the office (working w/my doctor to get work accommodation note that allows me to continue WFH)
J2...requires 2 days in the office (pick 2 days with the least amount of meetings for J1, Got MS Teams setup to respond to J1's messages quickly, leave J1 laptop on with mouse on jiggler, and have J1's VPN setup on my personal MacBook Pro that bring along just in case)

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
Been wyldin' out with OE both jobs have RTO mandates smh
J1...requested back to the office (working w/my doctor to get work accommodation note that allows me to continue WFH)
J2...requires 2 days in the office (pick 2 days with the least amount of meetings for J1, Got MS Teams setup to respond to J1's messages quickly, leave J1 laptop on with mouse on jiggler, and have J1's VPN setup on my personal MacBook Pro that bring along just in case)
The great debate, y’all know where I stand

threattonature

Veteran
Daps

At my old job I worked from home for a year and a half before going back into the office for a year and a half. I was the subject matter expert on everything involving our software. So I had a neverending line of people stopping in my office for questions, or stopping me in the hallway. Add in that I was pretty high up in the company so you had the ass kissers always wanting to chit chat.

Working from home isolated me from all of that and gave me more control over interruptions. It's always funny to that people act like in-office people are so productive. In office there was a lot of bullshytting. We had a ping pong table that people would spend a bunch of time at. An Xbox in the development team area. People taking non-stop smoke breaks or going to walk to grab coffee. Long lunches. Might as well let people work from home.

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
At my old job I worked from home for a year and a half before going back into the office for a year and a half. I was the subject matter expert on everything involving our software. So I had a neverending line of people stopping in my office for questions, or stopping me in the hallway. Add in that I was pretty high up in the company so you had the ass kissers always wanting to chit chat.

Working from home isolated me from all of that and gave me more control over interruptions. It's always funny to that people act like in-office people are so productive. In office there was a lot of bullshytting. We had a ping pong table that people would spend a bunch of time at. An Xbox in the development team area. People taking non-stop smoke breaks or going to walk to grab coffee. Long lunches. Might as well let people work from home.
Exactly it’s such bs.

I remember interning for the city government in college.

@DEAD7 people worked for like 30 minutes a day, then sat around and chatted for like 7 hours and 30 minutes.

I was like :wow: this is why nothing get done.

My first real office job wasn’t any better because i saw roughly the same thing.

Even now, wfh if we’re slightly less productive during times it’s because of redundancy of meetings.

Point blank, the ish I accomplish on a decent day with one or two meetings in 6 hours is worth more than what most people probably do in a few days or a week.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Yup. WFH or I'm not interested.
tumblr_p54lfhuFlg1w5xhsuo3_400.gif

45 minutes saved during the morning to get ready
1 hour saved from commute to work (Inglewood <=> Wilshire)
1 hour saved from commute from work
15 minutes saved from winding down from the day.
-------------------------------------------------------------
3 hours saved every day from commute-related events
15 hours per week
780 hours per year
3120 hours saved the last 4 years.

If I really want to be more accurate:
1 hour lunch
1 hour socializing
2 hours of not really doing much on the job at my desk and trying to look busy
---------------------------------------------------------------
4 hours saved every day from workday BS
20 hours per week
1040 hours per year
4160 hours saved the last 4 years
----------------------------------------------------------
Add it all up 3120 + 4160
7280 total hours saved JUST from not being in the office.

TL;DR over the last four years:
3120 hours of time saved on commute
4160 hours of time saved due to office bullshyt
------------------------------------------------------
7280 hours saved the last 4 years that can be better made use of.

If it takes 10,000 hours to master something, WFH the last four years got about 70% of it. If someone spent that time for learning skills beneficial for their job, then they've leveled up as an employee tremendously. I have made and make the best use of that time: finished CS degree which made me learn more architecture/DSA and writing cleaner code with OOP, finishing EE degree, etc.

Sorry, I would not have been able to do all that (which is making me exponentially better on my job) if I were working out of an office because the time isn't there. 15 hours of commute per day is longer than full-time school, which is 12 hours per week. So that's essentially spending 15 hours for commute instead of 12 hours learning in lecture or other personal education for a job that can be 100% performed on a laptop. That's outright dumb.

Last edited:

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
Exactly it’s such bs.

I remember interning for the city government in college.

@DEAD7 people worked for like 30 minutes a day, then sat around and chatted for like 7 hours and 30 minutes.

I was like :wow: this is why nothing get done.

My first real office job wasn’t any better because i saw roughly the same thing.

Even now, wfh if we’re slightly less productive during times it’s because of redundancy of meetings.

Point blank, the ish I accomplish on a decent day with one or two meetings in 6 hours is worth more than what most people probably do in a few days or a week.
I almost went ballistic at one point when I went back into the office. All we heard left and right from our support team is how slammed they constantly are so me and another guy were taking on some of their projects. My team had quarterly meetings where we'd all meet at one of the corporate offices. We went back to my old office. These MFs were in there with their feet up on the desk, netflix on their screens looking as relaxed as possible. Everybody milking calls for as long as possible. When I ran support I had 12 people under me taking 125 calls a day (while doing our own installs and QA). These dudes had 10 people taking 40 calls a day with no other duties. I was pissed cause all of our other teams were running short handed. I called that shyt out and not a damn thing was done about it.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Mafukkaz always showing up at my desk pissed me off. Now i can just ignore them on Slack.

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Employees don't realize (or don't want to admit) that just because they're individually more productive doesn't mean the team is more productive.

I can personally get way more done at home. But work is a team sport and there's a lot of juniors that would benefit from guidance and networking in person.

Here's the thing tho: I don't care. I personally want to work from home so I look for jobs that allow that. I don't need to rationalize it or pretend I know work from home is best for the business and that management is just being dumb.

I don't feel entitled to working from home. I just want it. At this stage in my life, I look for remote jobs or try to convince the employer. If they're not down with it, I move on. It's their business and their prerogative. :yeshrug:

Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The only thing I missed about being in office is confronting email thugs to their face or being able to walk straight to someone's office who was ignoring me to get in their ass.
For sure. Cats like to see their slack to offline when they’re online all day. Would sneak up in that medulla like “whaddup :bustback::bustback:?”