Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
This is low-key terrifying because it confirms that Open AI doesn't give a shyt when it comes to safety and societal impact.
Additionally I think it's a bad look when it comes to the quality of their engineers as well.

The companies who build the best products, no matter the engineering field, work to build to constraints. Usually when they take the time to implement all the safety features, their product is bolstered and not brittle with bandaid fixes and unscalable. Dealing with constraints are what good engineers do no matter the discipline.

From an engineering perspective, I actually think that's a good indicator that their ceiling is a little lower, perhaps a lot lower than people think.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Right now, my new job is less programming, but a looooot of communication. At this point, I've been on every type of team I've found interesting in the software space. Web, Software, Game, development, Data engineering, dashboarding/reporting, and now I'm on operations. Only 2 I haven't done is security (though i know that has a whole bunch of details in of itself) and admin work (meh. not appealing to me). Communication is always slept on from the technical side, but from a business side, or even just handover between teams, its really helpful in making things run smoothly and setting expectations

You get it. I've always said, technical aptitude + excellent soft skills is a game changer. The technical folk fail on the soft skills part...fail at being able to communicate. That keeps me employed cuz CSuite execs want to hear from a knowledgeable person who can communicate in English...not some broken English. Also, you have to understand problems and be able to communicate them to key stakeholders...who are both technical and non-technical. Constant meetings and constant dealing with different personalities. I do not fear the Russians and Indians abroad... because they aren't competing with me there....at least not yet. By the time that changes I'll probably be at or nearing retirement.

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
You get it. I've always said, technical aptitude + excellent soft skills is a game changer. The technical folk fail on the soft skills part...fail at being able to communicate. That keeps me employed cuz CSuite execs want to hear from a knowledgeable person who can communicate in English...not some broken English. Also, you have to understand problems and be able to communicate them to key stakeholders...who are both technical and non-technical. Constant meetings and constant dealing with different personalities. I do not fear the Russians and Indians abroad... because they aren't competing with me there....at least not yet. By the time that changes I'll probably be at or nearing retirement.
And by the time that changes, I'll be CEO of my own startup....or I'll be CEO of a game/anime company, depending on how quicky the startup succeeds and i get bored, lol

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
You will be jobless in a year when they decide to outsource. What im trying to say forcing people in the office or people willing to go in isn't going to guarantee job security.
You're right it doesn't, and I don't think anyone is under the impression that it does. But given the scenario and the current job market, you gotta take it in the interim. Trying to hold out for an even more competitive fully remote role is going to leave you unemployed for longer.