Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nobody is saying it "wouldn't he hard" clearly you don't have a degree because comprehension isn't strong for you lol. We are saying don't give companies a reason to count you out because there are people with all the credentials still struggling to find work
Ok. This is not an answer. You were bold enough to declare in your post to me that degree is the one magic wand that will do the impossible. So, just answer the questions.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
like I said always factor in you competing against folks in Asia, Eastern Europe, and South America who have as many years experience as you + the degree(s), and are Multi lingual and will work for less. You have to see yourself as a product that is worth a company investing in. The Economy isn't always going to be booming where you luck up and someone "takes a chance" on you.

This is why I think working on the soft skills is a good idea because you can beat them in that area. Problem is you’ll need a less technical role but the money is good. If you are technically knowledgeable and can talk, there’s a place for you.

You can get your education up, but you’re still competing with Asian candidates who have just as much or more education, their benefit is they are cheaper. You will always lose there unless the role is highly specialized or senior level.

As far as the education debate, you need one just to be allowed in the game. I wouldn’t be looking to get into software engineering…too much competition in Asia and companies don’t care about the quality of work. Just the cost.

Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Layoffs have consequences.
giphy.gif

Google accidentally deleted a $125 billion pension fund's account​

They never fukking learn though. These God complex CEOs think they know everything.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Like man, I have a CS degree, finishing an EE degree, have 8 years of professional Full Stack experience.
One year as a contractor, two years with a well-known worldwide company, five years at a single company.

Actually got my resume reviewed and more than one person said it looked great.

I sent out probably about 30-50 applications looking for a J2 to see the hit rate.

I got 1 call back. About 10 contacted me back saying they're going with another more suitable candidate. The rest have ghosted and never replied.

I wonder if companies look at your resume and think that you’re overqualified or you’d command too much. Why not hire a cheap Indian?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I wonder if companies look at your resume and think that you’re overqualified or you’d command too much. Why not hire a cheap Indian?

Funny thing is because it's a J2 and for various roles, I put down the average going rate on the job application forms where it asks for desired salary. Nothing high to reflect experience and nothing low to bring down the price. If they have the salary listed on the post, I place it in that rage. If it's entry-level for another non-coding role, I just add in the description "want to learn __ and looking for a transition".

But yeah, that's definitely a possibility.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Funny thing is because it's a J2 and for various roles, I put down the average going rate on the job application forms where it asks for desired salary. Nothing high to reflect experience and nothing low to bring down the price. If they have the salary listed on the post, I place it in that rage. If it's entry-level for another non-coding role, I just add in the description "want to learn __ and looking for a transition".

But yeah, that's definitely a possibility.

Hiring manager may think you might know more than him. All kinds of reasons why…but the market just sucks right now.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Can take this a couple ways, one such way is that it's starting to plateau. Progress ain't as fast as it used to be so time to shift to something else more interesting.

Arguably one of their most technical are leaving. Sam Altman is much closer to an Elon Musk, especially with Ilya leaving now. Should be interesting. Someone else said it somewhere that they expect a few more to start leaving soon as well.

Another key person leaving OpenAI:

Even after reading the rest of the Twitter thread, I get the impression they're reaching a ceiling, bottleneck. While I did read the part about safety and AGI, from my understanding it sounds like this guy would've been apart of that team and would've been able to make an impact there. This guy leaving makes me question a few things about the progress they're making.

I additionally get the impression OpenAI wants to keep shipping products (and making money) rather than continue A.I research.

Understanding Ilya and why Ilya is leaving makes me feel like the company isn't trying to solve anymore humanity-type of problems and are now focusing on making money and spamming the world with A.I products.

Sounds like Microsoft is now starting to call the shots. I wonder how long until OpenAI layoffs take place.

Last edited:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Another key person leaving OpenAI:

Even after reading the rest of the Twitter thread, I get the impression they're reaching a ceiling, bottleneck. While I did read the part about safety and AGI, from my understanding it sounds like this guy would've been apart of that team and would've been able to make an impact there. This guy leaving makes me question a few things about the progress they're making.

I additionally get the impression OpenAI wants to keep shipping products (and making money) rather than continue A.I research.

Understanding Ilya and why Ilya is leaving makes me feel like the company isn't trying to solve anymore humanity-type of problems and are now focusing on making money and spamming the world with A.I products.

Sounds like Microsoft is now starting to call the shots. I wonder how long until OpenAI layoffs take place.

Well, duh.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
All these people in America who can't find IT jobs. Companies would rather risk hiring scammers instead.
:francis:

A massive remote-work scam fooled 300 US companies into hiring North Koreans, prosecutors say​

An Arizona woman is accused of aiding North Koreans in securing US remote-work jobs.
They gained employment at Fortune 500 companies, including a TV network and a Silicon Valley firm.
Prosecutors say the scheme involved 300+ companies and led to $7 million being sent to North Korea.

Illuminatos

#OVOXO
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Did the group interview on Tuesday which was the final interview. Got an email saying I did well on the interview but didn’t get the job since their cohort was full. They said if I was interested they would consider me for the July 8th cohort.:francis:
Got a call back this week and they said someone rejected the offer and they wanted me to join. Signed my offer and am putting in my two weeks on Monday!!!! :banderas::banderas::banderas::banderas:

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
This is why I think working on the soft skills is a good idea because you can beat them in that area. Problem is you’ll need a less technical role but the money is good. If you are technically knowledgeable and can talk, there’s a place for you.

You can get your education up, but you’re still competing with Asian candidates who have just as much or more education, their benefit is they are cheaper. You will always lose there unless the role is highly specialized or senior level.

As far as the education debate, you need one just to be allowed in the game. I wouldn’t be looking to get into software engineering…too much competition in Asia and companies don’t care about the quality of work. Just the cost.
Right now, my new job is less programming, but a looooot of communication. At this point, I've been on every type of team I've found interesting in the software space. Web, Software, Game, development, Data engineering, dashboarding/reporting, and now I'm on operations. Only 2 I haven't done is security (though i know that has a whole bunch of details in of itself) and admin work (meh. not appealing to me). Communication is always slept on from the technical side, but from a business side, or even just handover between teams, its really helpful in making things run smoothly and setting expectations

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
All these people in America who can't find IT jobs. Companies would rather risk hiring scammers instead.
:francis:

A massive remote-work scam fooled 300 US companies into hiring North Koreans, prosecutors say​

An Arizona woman is accused of aiding North Koreans in securing US remote-work jobs.
They gained employment at Fortune 500 companies, including a TV network and a Silicon Valley firm.
Prosecutors say the scheme involved 300+ companies and led to $7 million being sent to North Korea.

These greedy, disgusting motherfukkers. Tax them more.