Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Because none of those will bypass the "Have a Degree" filter.

I know of someone who worked at Visa for 10 years but was recently laid off.

Dude was their lead backend engineer and they recently made a post on Linkedin saying dude had an interview but the company decided to go with another candidate. When he followed up to ask why they said it was because he didn't have a CS degree straight up.

10 year career working at Visa, handling money and got told someone with a college degree is preferable.

Dudes don't realize you can't give these companies a reason to Skip over yiuol

UpNext

Superstar
Daps
Folks sound out of touch with their rhetoric. It's 2024. Folks with degrees and internships are struggling to get jobs and Computer Science is one of the most sought after degrees in the country but your no degree shytty CRUD app GitHub having ass just gonna waltz right in because you got some basic ass certs nobody gives a shyt about at any reputable company:comeon:

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Like man, I have a CS degree, finishing an EE degree, have 8 years of professional Full Stack experience.
One year as a contractor, two years with a well-known worldwide company, five years at a single company.

Actually got my resume reviewed and more than one person said it looked great.

I sent out probably about 30-50 applications looking for a J2 to see the hit rate.

I got 1 call back. About 10 contacted me back saying they're going with another more suitable candidate. The rest have ghosted and never replied.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Like man, I have a CS degree, finishing an EE degree, have 8 years of Full Stack experience.
Two years with a well-known company, five years at a single company.

Actually got my resume reviewed and more than one person said it looked great.

I sent probably about 30-50 applications looking for a J2 to see the hit rate.

I got 1 call back.

Lol breh I over a decade experience advance degree and big tech experience and nikkas still wanna talk that "mane just make a portfolio and get certs" shyt when now lotta folks from prestigious companies are looking at the mid tier/non tech companies for jobs (taking pay cuts in order to survive). This is ON TOP of h1bs and companies looking to out source ON TOP if you a black man cause we all know DEI ain't including us

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Folks sound out of touch with their rhetoric. It's 2024. Folks with degrees and internships are struggling to get jobs and Computer Science is one of the most sought after degrees in the country but your no degree shytty CRUD app GitHub having ass just gonna waltz right in because you got some basic ass certs nobody gives a shyt about at any reputable company:comeon:
.it's a sign how out of control tech got where I'm not surprised we are at this point but more so companies ain't cutting fat they trimming into the bone but using the fat as the reason all while still making record profits

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My dude. Listen. I got my degree in English. Comp science annoyed me cause there was just too much math involved. But listen, there are specific tasks companies look to hire folks for. The person that gets the job is the person who can demonstrate working knowledge of the issues. You forget there are so many different areas of tech out there.

You can have your degrees but when you are quizzed in an actual interview about how to solve a problem, you would be thoroughly fuccked if you think they’ll give you preferential consideration over a seasoned professional.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
My dude. Listen. I got my degree in English. Comp science annoyed me cause there was just too much math involved. But listen, there are specific tasks companies look to hire folks for. The person that gets the job is the person who can demonstrate working knowledge of the issues. You forget there are so many different areas of tech out there.

You can have your degrees but when you are quizzed in an actual interview about how to solve a problem, you would be thoroughly fuccked if you think they’ll give you preferential consideration over a seasoned professional.
.nikka you aren't making it past the ATS algorithms [on avg before nikkas start using their edge case examples] is the point lmfao

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
.nikka you aren't making it past the ATS algorithms [on avg before nikkas start using their edge case examples] is the point lmfao
There are folks in this thread with their degrees saying they can’t find work. The logic here with you and others, is that, if only they had xyz degree or certs, then it wouldn’t be so hard. There’s a disconnect here. And I will help you see it.

Test-1:
- when you go to interviews - name 3 must do items or questions you must ask the interviewer.
- or put it another way, when you go to interviews, what must you know?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Kind of like what I mentioned in a previous post, but absolutely you can find jobs with no degree or a non-STEM degree.

However, someone has far far more options if they have a STEM degree and are trying to get a job in tech. Comp Sci degree probably covers the most ground. For example, if a recruiter is pressured to hire talent and fast the most probable thing they'll filter for are Comp Sci grads.

I think those with a Cyber Security background whether they have a degree or not or have a non-STEM degree fair a much better chance. Cyber Security isn't exactly a skill many people have and it's highly valuable for basically every tech role. A lot of people don't know shyt about Cyber Security and it's a field that is constantly growing as people always find new ways to attack systems.

If someone got 10 years of CyberSecurity experience and no degree, that's far more an easier sell than a Physics major trying to break into a high-security role. However for just coding and writing software, I don't think that's the case now with things like A.I code generators/analyzers. Employers want to see a little more than just writing software skills.
My last job at a well known company hired a CyberSecurity expert to do CSS on the front end :mjlol:
It may sound funny, but you know dang near nothing was going to break that form and the guy ended up designing a wrapper around other forms that was basically bulletproof.

Last edited:

TRUEST

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kind of like what I mentioned in a previous post, but absolutely you can find jobs with no degree or a non-STEM degree.

However, someone has far far more options if they have a STEM degree and are trying to get a job in tech. Comp Sci degree probably covers the most ground. For example, if a recruiters ass is on the line to hire talent and fast the most probable thing they'll filter in are Comp Sci grads.

Additionally, I think the ones who have a Cyber Security background whether they have a degree or not or have a non-STEM degree fair a much better chance as well. Cyber Security isn't exactly a skill many people have and it's highly valuable for basically every tech role. A lot of people don't know shyt about Cyber Security and it's a field that is constantly growing as people always find new ways to attack systems.

If someone got 10 years of CyberSecurity experience and no degree, that's far more an easier sell than a Physics major trying to break into a high-security role.
My last job at a well known company hired a CyberSecurity expert to do CSS on the front end :mjlol:
It may sound funny, but you know dang near nothing was going to break that form and the guy ended up designing a wrapper around other forms that was basically bulletproof.
This makes sense. A good number of the jobs on indeed and the like, usually put in the job postings: a degree in x is required or 5+ years of experience.

That right there tells it all.

And Yes. It’s been that way for at least 25 years. This I know.

A candidate with 5 years experience will always beat out candidates who only have their degrees as a a measurement of their competency.

In the real world and employer would like for you to hit the ground running. And if they have to train you on concepts or software that you’re not familiar with, they’ll go with the experienced individual.

Van Cleef

All Star
Daps
This makes sense. A good number of the jobs on indeed and the like, usually put in the job postings: a degree in x is required or 5+ years of experience.

A candidate with 5 years experience will always beat out candidates who only have their degrees as a a measurement of their competency.

In the real world and employer would like for you to hit the ground running. And if they have to train you on concepts or software that you’re not familiar with, they’ll go with the experienced individual.

so who gets the job... a cs degree + 5+ years of experience or no degree + 5 years of experience?

entry level jobs require degrees so you cant get that experience without saying you have a degree

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

Yeah, like I mentioned I think no degree for Cybersecurity but stacked with experience can still be fine in many cases. You can't really fake keeping a system safe for x-amount of years. That'll indicate someone definitely got skills that are applicable to many companies.

However, for the typical front end/back end/full stack roles where so much domain and stack knowledge is different from company-to-company, that CS degree will go pretty far as kind of like a baseline "this person knows at least this much" check.

Additionally, most cyber security teams are small to my knowledge, while many software engineering teams can be enormous and more filters may be used to narrow the hiring focus.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
There are folks in this thread with their degrees saying they can’t find work. The logic here with you and others, is that, if only they had xyz degree or certs, then it wouldn’t be so hard. There’s a disconnect here. And I will help you see it.

Test-1:
- when you go to interviews - name 3 must do items or questions you must ask the interviewer.
- or put it another way, when you go to interviews, what must you know?

Nobody is saying it "wouldn't he hard" clearly you don't have a degree because comprehension isn't strong for you lol. We are saying don't give companies a reason to count you out because there are people with all the credentials still struggling to find work