Tech Industry job layoffs looking scary

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Man, the better ChatGPT gets the more I'm worried about the job market.

I legit have a feeling we haven't seen layoffs due to ChatGPT's progress yet, but we're about to sometime this year.

That's the scary part, these layoffs are because of how over-hired they were and additional reasons, but not ChatGPT yet.

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
Would you personally want to work for a FAANG Company?

I personally don’t care to work for one but it’s a good look on the resume and gives you pretty good leverage for future jobs…also they tend to have the highest salaries in the field. I figure it’s probably worth getting in there even if you only plan to be in for the short term

Blessings

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Have access to compensation data…wayyyy too many people in one of my orgs who earn at least $150k/year that really don’t do shyt or provide actual value in my opinion. I’m pretty involved across and know which roles bring value, can be consolidated, etc…
The game is nasty

Cereal_Bowl_Assassin

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Would you personally want to work for a FAANG Company?

I personally don’t care to work for one but it’s a good look on the resume and gives you pretty good leverage for future jobs…also they tend to have the highest salaries in the field. I figure it’s probably worth getting in there even if you only plan to be in for the short term

Yeah I feel the same way. When I first started out I wanted to work for Google but then I realized all of this stuff is pretty much the same. Like Reggie said it does look good on your resume though

Last edited:

Serious

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
1st Round Playoff Exits
:lupe: got an emergency meeting today

Hope it’s not more restructuring
I’m in healthcare though. There’s some other internal shyt that’s been brewing down the pipeline.
Some shyt happened. I ain’t going speak on it, as of now, but Ain’t no one safe out here.

Restructuring is on the way.

Everyone do what you gotta do :hubie:

Nigerianwonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Yeah I feel the same way. When I first started out I wanted to work for Google but then I realized all of this stuff is pretty much the same. Like Reggie said it does look good on your resume though

You earn 3x times as much at a fang than you do a regular company. It's definitely worth it even if just for the short term or if you get laid off. You get huge sign on packages and stock every year. If I got laid off tomorrow they would pay me over 100k cause they accelerate stock vesting as part of severance packages.

And I still got recruiters emailing me even in todays tougher market so getting another job isnt as hard with a FANG on the resume. I actually think hiring will pick up again in the fall. These companies are monkey see monkey do. Once one starts hiring aggresive again they rest will jump onboard cause nobody wants to miss out on top talent.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
end of 2019 they had 800k employees, employees. In 2 years during the pandemic they doubled that. It's going to take a lot more 9,000 job cuts to go back to 800k lol
yea i don't think these recent layoffs are a poor signal for the tech industry yet.....
these companies are just laying off head count they don't need after OVERHIRING for like 2 years straight.
If we get to the point Amazon head count is -10k what it was in 2018/2019 I'll start getting scared. Right now it's a recalibration and tech is still a strong industry for the future

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
Not gonna lie it hurts a little bit. I worked hard to get to this level. I was working for the government and leading a team. My salary was crazy...more money than I could've ever thought of and just like that its gone. Its all good though im not bummed just have to work hard for the next position. Im going to take a quick break and head to Miami for a music festival to recharge and then come back and start appliying"
How much severance did you get month wise?

Atlrocafella

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Georgia
Not gonna lie it hurts a little bit. I worked hard to get to this level. I was working for the government and leading a team. My salary was crazy...more money than I could've ever thought of and just like that its gone. Its all good though im not bummed just have to work hard for the next position. Im going to take a quick break and head to Miami for a music festival to recharge and then come back and start appliying"
How much severance did you get month wise?