Tariq Nasheed on new Star Wars movie - "12 Years a Space Slave"

Ol’Otis

The Picasso of the Ghetto
Daps
Reppin
South Central Los Angeles
you don't have to like and keep on track with this tariq but what he said is true man..just open your fukkin eyes..

look at black people in hollywood and cinema in the west?????
Blacks in the entertainment industry do NOT wanna branch off and I don't understand why

VertigoKnight

Veteran
Daps
I thought Finn was great and his heroic moment was going up against Kylo despite knowing how powerful he was and putting up quite a fight.

As others have said if this character was white there would be none of these complaints. we have two more films with Finn in them I'm expecting a more resilient, wiser and better fighter Finn in both those movies.

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
I thought Finn was great and his heroic moment was going up against Kylo despite knowing how powerful he was and putting up quite a fight.

As others have said if this character was white there would be none of these complaints. we have two more films with Finn in them I'm expecting a more resilient, wiser and better fighter Finn in both those movies.
he was packaged great etc but after getting shyt put in your head IE reading shyt on here and adding shyt up..lol

Family Man

Banned
Daps
Wait so we want more black actors in major movies. But we don't want black actors in major movies if they're the sidekick and not the hero? So in a role clearly written for basically anyone, a black man gets cast but these nikkas is mad because he wasn't enough of a hero even though Fin's actions drove the entire movie? So if Boyega wasn't cast and random white boy 101 was playing the role y'all would've been cool with the character? :camby: with that nonsense. There's real racism to deal with, not this 'pick a fight' nonsense.
We is our own worse enemy.

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Did a white man really name this n!gga?
:kattpimp:

Yeah this movie had me making the :patrice: face the entire time.

Every time shyt like that happened I would look over at my brother and he would be giving me the same :leostare: face right back.

-Named by a white breh
-Saved by a white brehette x7 times
-Worked in Sanitation (fake ass trooper mopping shyt)
-Ran away from every fight but 1
-Lied about everything he did/was
-Almost cried when ole girl was taken
-AGREED TO WORK AS A SLAVE TO ESCAPE THE PLANET

On the bolded one, I was like... "scoose me brehs I gotta get some popcorn, be back in 15 mins :mjcry:"

Aceofspades404

Superstar
Daps
you're an idiot if you dont think there are serious global implications in regards to how blacks are portrayed in film.
in fact, hollywood has historically used film to cast negative perceptions of black people...

"Minstrel shows lampooned black people as dim-witted,[1] lazy,[1] buffoonish,[1][2] superstitious, happy-go-lucky,[1] and musical. The minstrel show began with brief burlesques and comic entr'actes in the early 1830s and emerged as a full-fledged form in the next decade. By 1848, blackface minstrel shows were the national artform, translating formal art such as opera into popular terms for a general audience.[3]"

The Birth of A Nation

The film was a commercial success, though it was highly controversial owing to its portrayal of black men (some played by white actors in blackface) as unintelligent and sexually aggressive towards white women, and the portrayal of the Ku Klux Klan (whose original founding is dramatized) as a heroic force.[5][6]
I spoke on this in present day
http://www.thecoli.com/threads/covert-racism-and-whitewashing-in-hollywood-movies.384121/

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Dudes gotta realize the marketing is what set people up to be disappointed. The Marketing was hinting as if Finn was going to be the new big dog Jedi, if he wasn't going to be that COOL, if Finn wasn't marketed how he was I doubt anyone would have even tripped about how he was portrayed in this first movie especially if he is allegedly going to earn his position as being the "new Han", but hell one can make the argument that Poe is going to be the new Han as in a peoples favorite that isn't the "savior" of the story.

This was low key on some Mad Max steeze, when you have Finn/Mad Max as the low key face of marketing then you watch the flick and someone else is the actual focal hero.

Like maybe I just dont know, but what Star Wars marketing of the past displays NON JEDIs with light sabers on the posters?

Look at every old school Star Wars poster, Han Solo is not welding a Light saber, so it is almost implied that holding a light saber in promo posters and commercials = Finn is a Jedi whether it be he is the main Jedi or a supporting Jedi.

sw_6_rotj-2040.0.jpg

sw_3_rots-2040.0.jpg

sw_1_tpm-2040.0.jpg

star-wars-iv-a-new-hope-poster1.jpg

these are all the posters (I know of at least) for the Star Wars flicks that are not only Luke, lol notice every person with a Ligh Saber is a Jedi in every single one.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I see everyone's POV. Finn could definitely been treated better. But how do we know the character wasn't going out like that regardless of the actor playing him? I would believe this is a play for the feminist/girl power crowd before white supremacy. Like Hunger Games or some such. Either way, Boyega killed it, and hopefully, he will have some input, and Finn will shape up in the next two installments. For all we know, he might end up the illest character in the series. Do I believe that? Not really. But it's not fair to judge off one movie in a known trilogy. Rey shouldn't have done what she did, especially at the end, but, like I said, girl power:comeon: I can appreciate what Tariq said, but, as someone familiar with the series, I reserve judgment until the trilogy is finished. I'd love to see Finn get his life and be that nikka.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
If Finn wasn't black there would be no problems. If they didn't try to pull the okie doke on who was the force users then it would feel like less of a jab to black people.

Still for as questionable as it comes across to most black people the character itself is the only reason anything in the movie that is positive that happen...happened. He's low key the most important person in the movie by far.

I'm still shocked that black people thought he was going to be the main force user character in the movie. .:mjlol:

Maybe if the marketing hadn't CLEARLY been a ridiculous Bait and Switch then people wouldn't have been misled.

Make no mistake, this isn't a case of black people seeing that Boyega had been cast and just hoping he'd be Force Sensitive. It was shyt like THIS

That had people thinking he'd be the main hero and a Jedi. Keep in mind. He's the FIRST human character in the cinematic continuity to wield a Lightsaber in combat and NOT turn out to be Force Sensitive. THATS how far they went to market him as a hero, only to switch it and have the white girl be the hero.

It was pure mis-marketing and it was bullshyt.

Props for the long write up. I respect the opinion. I also think its reaching. Put it this way: If Fin was played by a white actor none of the plot issues you point out would've been an issue. You viewed all of it from the lens of hoping the black character would be the hero. Its like when I watch a college or pro game where someone from back home or that I knew is playing. I'm watching the game hoping he's going to do well so his team could win but I'm like 'yea but they shouldve got my man more shots'. I also don't buy into the idea that the writers purposefully made the black character weak (and don't agree that he's weak at all). I just don't see it and I'm definitely aware of how Hollywood portrays blacks and does so on purpose. Like I said we forget that Han Solo was a selfish jerk for the entire first movie. Not to mention if we're looking at Fin the character, all these moments in the movie are his first genuine interactions with real people. Characterizing him as a liar is a bit unfair, especially since he did actually tell her the truth fairly quickly instead of one of those cliche moments where someone else dimed on him or she found out on her own. He owned up and admitted the truth which almost NEVER happens in those situations in movies. Entire movies are built around the 'guy tells a white lie and has to cover it up' premise. Ultimately that lie didn't have anything to do with the plot, just the relationship between him and the girl he was trying to impress. Yea he did lie again about the base and that was dumb no doubt but in the same vein as Han making things up as he went

People keep saying if "Finn were White you wouldn't have a problem". That's a cop-out, the fact of the matter is he's NOT white, and again, if the marketing of the movie hadn't been built around Finn as an important character with the Force, then you might have an argument. But not only did he turn out to not have the Force, he was a cowardly, bumbling, comedic side kick, with no goal beyond "save Rey", which he didn't accomplish. Every single thing he set out to do in the film he failed at. He failed in fighting the storm trooper (Han saved him) he failed to save Rey (Rey saved herself, within 30 minutes of first using the force) he failed in fighting Kylo Ren and wound up in a coma (Rey kicked Kylo's ass, again within 24 hours of first using the force)

Han was a selfish jerk in ANH? Fantastic, he STILL got his moment of heroism in the film when he came back to help Luke.

Luke was a Whiny farm boy? Great, he STILL destroyed the Death Star.

Leia was a spoiled Brat? Yep, she STILL was the one who ended up saving both Luke and Han on Vadar's stronghold when they were outgunned and overmatched.

The fact of the matter is that Finn is the ONE "main" character out of SIX movies to accomplish absolutely nothing by the climax. If it weren't for Boyega's performance the character literally would've been worthless.

He couldn't pilot
He couldn't fight
He couldn't save the white girl
He got his ass kicked by Rey
He got his ass kicked by Chewie
He got his ass kicked by the random Alien
He got his ass kicked by A Storm Trooper
He got his ass kicked by Kylo Ren

Where's the redemption in all of this? Where's the supposed "Destiny" that has been awakened when the final shot of his character he isn't even fukking CONSCIOUS!!?!!

Because if his "destiny" was to carry the lightsaber until the white girl awoke to her destiny then you can miss me with that shyt. Hell they should've went ahead and just cast a white actor and kept it moving