Tariq Nasheed on new Star Wars movie - "12 Years a Space Slave"

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
What ‘Star Wars’ gets wrong about blacks and women

[...]

Spoiler alert: Not only does the hero of the film not get the girl, he’s not the hero.

Much has been made of the ethnically diverse cast. The stars are John Boyega, a black British actor who plays Finn, a former Stormtrooper, and the white British actress Daisy Ridley as Rey, a scavenger with a mysterious backstory. The two are affable and telegenic, and there are fun moments between them as they battle a gathering galactic tyranny.

There just aren’t any sparks. Nothing like what any other lead in a sci-fi movie brings to screen. Think about Chris Pratt’s character in “Guardians of the Galaxy” or Mark Hamill’s Luke Skywalker early in the franchise. Both start hapless and build to big, redemptive finishes. Boyega — who, by the way, worked sanitation duty as a Stormtrooper — spends most of the movie running scared while his co-star makes his status in the friend zone as clear as starlight. He is not powerful in the way Rey is. And it’s not that we don’t appreciate the skill of the young heroine; it’s just that she seems empowered at his expense.

[...]

By contrast, the Finn character is remarkably anodyne. In important ways, a black character has moved from the periphery to the center of a blockbuster story. In other ways, Hollywood is still dancing around issues of intimacy and black heroism for a black male lead in a mixed-race cast.

Tim Gordon, a Washington writer and founder of the Black Reel Awards, which honor outstanding black performances on-screen, calls the casting a balancing act. Centering the franchise — one that promises to gross billions — on this white woman and black man is historic. Still, “I was looking for a little more heroism from Boyega’s character,” Gordon says. “Every time he picks up a lightsaber, he’s getting beat down and the lightsaber is getting taken from him.”

While he didn’t seem like the star in this first movie, it’s supposed to be a trilogy, and maybe it’s too early to tell, Gordon says. “His arc might change. He might go from the guy who plays second fiddle, or a co-star, to somebody who . . . brings the force to the universe, and wouldn’t that be revolutionary?”

:ehh:

I really felt what she is saying with the bolded line. They just used this brother to put a cac over.

ezrathegreat

Veteran
Daps
Last edited:

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
my bad i missed this thread, i heard both shows, and tariq is exaggerating as hell

luke skywalker was a bytch in the first one and he could have been played by a lesbian also, there was no intimacy between luke and leia aside from a tiny peck when they were swinging over the broken walkway

and the only reason he was able to blow up he death star was because han came in and saved him at the list minute

so to answer his question starwars was a movie where there was no play between the main characters, and also hunger games

having characters start out in lowly positions is a common plot device in scifi/fantasy books, so its obvious that finn is being set up for bigger things just like luke was

i think there was some samboing going on as far as his facial expressions and body movements but overall he did a good job

Last edited:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I feel like fin's actions were realistic.

It would have been dumb of him to admit to ray that he was a runaway stormtrooper, nikkas is saying this made him a liar but telling the truth wouldn't make sense for a character that just defected.

He freed poe for his own selfish reasons but that's because they were suspicious of him and wanted to examine his blaster to see if he fired a shot, he was probably gonna be disiplined and decided to escape for that reason, you can say that he was selfish in freeing POE but his motives were more realistic than the alternative.

Standing up to Kailo Ren and even injuring him was pretty impressive too.(affectively welded a lightsaber, and broke free of the mind control placed on him shows signs that he could still end up being force sensitive.)

Sure ray was ultimately the one to beat him but that was after being injured by chewie and fin. The fact that she was able to do this so soon is a fault with HER character, not finns, that's why people are calling ray a Mary sue and claiming finn moved to movie along.

The whole movie was low key told from finns perspective as someone small and irrelevant, becoming apart of something much bigger than him.

Never once did I feel like Finn wasn't the star of the movie, dispite maybe not becoming a jedi. Finn had the best character development out of all the new characters, followed by Kailo ren.

Ray was basically a sack of potatoes, she has no reason or motives for her actions, we don't even know who she is at this point.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Best believe Tariq would have jumped at a chance at this role and been talking about "im doing this to expose white supremacy from the inside."

John Boyega is paid for the rest of his life off this one movie alone, he can do comic cons forever, and he still has 2 more movies to do. Salute that man.

Like they say nothing sells like controversy. Tariq probably doing numbers off this spin.
Why are yall so mad? I never saw black audience seething from opinion of film

He didnt diss john ...why do black nerds take this shyt personally like its hornable

DrunkenNovice

Superstar
Daps
I listened to Tariqs Podcast and he posed the challenge to name a movie where the white hero was not redeemed at the end.

Ill stay within the Star Wars series and bring up The Empire Strikes back at the end Luke confronts Vader. Loses and gets his hand cut off. Ends the movie on a medic bed getting his arm repaired.

We know in the end of the trilogy Luke is redeemed.....but Tariq said in that when trying to defend Finn bringing up the possibility of redemption in the trilogy would be a cop out because we dont know whats gonna happen.

Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980, Return of the Jedi 1983 they didnt know whether Luke would be redeemed at that time either.

:ld:

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
Why are yall so mad? I never saw black audience seething from opinion of film

He didnt diss john ...why do black nerds take this shyt personally like its hornable

Because Tariq was attacking "black nerds" personally for defending the movie, it wasn't like let's agree to disagree it was more like your a c00n and a slave if you disagree with me

But the thing is his facts and interpretation of the facts are wrong

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
I listened to Tariqs Podcast and he posed the challenge to name a movie where the white hero was not redeemed at the end.

Ill stay within the Star Wars series and bring up The Empire Strikes back at the end Luke confronts Vader. Loses and gets his hand cut off. Ends the movie on a medic bed getting his arm repaired.

We know in the end of the trilogy Luke is redeemed.....but Tariq said in that when trying to defend Finn bringing up the possibility of redemption in the trilogy would be a cop out because we dont know whats gonna happen.

Empire Strikes Back came out in 1980, Return of the Jedi 1983 they didnt know whether Luke would be redeemed at that time either.

:ld:

Not to mention that empire starts the same way the original ended, by Luke getting rescued by Han