☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
I'm not gonna lie breh. I fell for the okie doke. Sitting through that movie was my cinematic nikka Wake Up Call..

Here's what I wrote in the Official Star Wars Thread

I will preface this by starting out that I went into the theater with VERY low expectations. I was disheartened by the mismarketing of Finn's character and I felt that it was extremely insulting to African American fans of the franchise to have this whole "Destiny Awakens" tag tied to Finn and then bait and switch him with Rey. I was extremely close to cancelling my tickets and not going, but my girl was very excited and invited her parents and her sister so it became a family outing...

I'm going to start with a general breakdown of what I liked and disliked about the FILM and then go into a deeper examination of Finn.

-Kylo Ren was the best character in the movie. I am not familiar with Adam Driver's work on Girls (a Show I couldn't fathom finding the remotest bit interesting) but he, in my opinion absolutely NAILED the depiction of the turmoil that one would imagine going to the dark side and betraying everyone you love would wrought on one's psyche. This movie relied ALOT on the actors using emotion and facial expression to convey feeling rather than dialogue, which is both a strength and weakness of the film. The stronger actors (Driver, Boyega, and Harrison) can convey an emotion that we as the viewer can FEEL, and without a lot of explanation or back story, that's what connects us to them. Driver is obviously the "Darth Vadar" of this trilogy, but he showcases more emotion and inner struggle In this film than Hayden Christen was able to do in two. I actually BELIEVED that this guy was very much "seduced" by the dark side and played by Snoke, and a part of him knows this with certainty, but that lust for purpose, for position, for POWER blinds him to the light. I liked everything about him

- Harrison Ford was fantastic. I didn't get a "phone it in" vibe from him at all. Every scene he was in, his swashbuckling swagger shone through. His death (even though I could see it a MILE away) was tragic in the fact that we will never again see this character interact with Leia or Luke, or the new three. I honestly wished he could've stuck around. One of the three had to die and I would've preferred it to be Leia but I digress.

-Poe Dameron's character was good, almost great, but needed more screen time. Oscar Isaac was having fun with this role, you can tell he loved every moment of it, his enthusiasm was on his sleeve throughout. The opening sequence with Finn was honestly my favorite portion of the entire movie. If the movie would've been "Finn and Poe's Awesome Space Adventure" I would've been happy with it. I'm sure in future installments Poe will shine and take on the "Han" mantle as he's 100% suited for it.

- Snoke was.....interesting. I wasn't as disappointed with his lack of screen time as some others were because the Emperor didn't get any REAL screen time in the OG trilogy until Return Of the Jedi. He was interesting, mysterious, and Creepily evil enough that speculation on him will run rampant for the next few years, which is I'm sure what JJ meant to set up.

- Rey wasn't bad at all, but she was uneven and I had MAJOR issues with her just being able to use the force all willy nilly with ZERO training. Ok using the force to protect your mind against Ren I can buy. But force tricking that guard with NO prior training? Battling and kicking Ren's ass in a lightsaber duel? None of that felt EARNED and it all certainly felt rushed, like JJ suddenly realized "oh yea, she's the ONE, better make her a bad ass before we wrap this up"

-Captain Phasma was absolutely wasted. Seriously what was the point of her character? Her scenes must've been cut to the BONE because I honestly forgot about her until Finn and Han took her captive.

And now Finn...

I know that Star Wars, Lord Of The Rings, Harry Potter, Terminator, John Carter, Superman, Batman, and 99.9% of these epic stories of heroism are for White people. This is an unarguable fact, they are written by whites, produced by whites, and made to exemplify white excellence. Those of us of color who have grown and watched these films have related to the UNIVERSAL themes of courage, bravery, love, and triumph through adversity that these stories are built upon. We grew to like, even love these stories in SPITE of, not BECAUSE of, the White protagonists who embody these themes. These stories were never told through our eyes, often times the caricatures of us were as awe-struck side-kicks, bumbling fools, or evil villains. We were side line characters, existing only to magnify the greatness of the White protagonist. Only in the past decade or so has this revolting trend begun to ease little by little. The black character WASN'T always the first one killed. The Black character WASN'T always the rapist or thug. The black character WASN'T always an idiot. Will Smith the worlds most bankable star, in no less than 4 films (ID4, Men In Black 1,2,3) was directly responsible for saving the universe...

So when it was announced that John Boyega had actually gotten the part of the male "Lead" in a new Star Wars movie. Certain people of color were very excited. Could it be that we would get a heroic BLACK character, whose treated with the respect, dignity, and courage of heart that was aforded Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, and even Anikan? The early marketing for the film certainly seemed to be saying so. The first trailer, the third trailer, the motion poster, and various media up to the film's release seemed to position Boyega's Finn as an important, leading part of the new trilogy. Wielding a lightsaber, gunning in the Falcon, staring down Kylo Ren. Were these stories that had been catered specifically and exclusively to a white audience since the moment film went into camera, now finally catching up with the times and "allowing" a black male lead to flourish?

The answer tragically, is no.

The first 30 minutes of the film almost had me convinced that it wouldn't be bad at all. My skepticism faded slightly as I rather enjoyed Finn's consciousness awakening to the fact that being a mindless killing machine for an organization that clearly has no goals beyond universal dominance isn't something to aspire to. His decision to risk his life attempting to help Poe I felt was noble, and then we got this little ditty.

Poe: Why are you helping me:why:

Finn: Because it's the right thing:mjcry:

Poe: You needed a Pilot:stopitslime:

Finn: (sheepishly) Yea I needed a pilot:dwillhuh:

Right off the bat the nobility of Finn's character is compromised, it's more HIS desperation to escape than it is helping the good guy Poe. But you know what? I could role with that. Han Solo might've done something similar in his early days, and I guess it adds to the supposed "3 Dimensional Characterization" that we all readily go into our science fiction fantasy movies looking for. So let it go, Finn and Poe have excellent chemistry during the escape. I was really impressed with how they were portraying Finn as funny, but NOT side-Kick Jar Jar comic relief in this sequence. It felt NATURAL for the character and HUGE props to John Boyega, who in my opinion, is the best natural actor of the new three. Finn is learning on the spot and seems pretty confident next to Poe.

The scenes with Rey after the crash I had no problems with either. Even the "Stop Holding My Hand!" bit didn't feel like Finn was getting shafted, it simply felt like a natural part of two strangers thrown together who don't know how to interact with one another. Finn is still going out of his way to attempt to be heroic, not a coward. Again, however, his integrity is compromised when he lies to Rey about being in the resistance. Every point of attempted heroism is IMMEDIATELY counteracted with lies and selfishness to this point, with both Poe and Rey. I take note of this, but I'm still having fun with the banter between Rey, Finn, and BB8.

We get to the Falcon. Rey pilots and Finn guns. He has an impressive showing, at this point myself, the audience, and Rey's character are with him on this. Is he unsure of himself? Yes, but at this point no more than ANH Luke was, he's still a liar, but he's showing real guts and courageousness. The scene with him awkwardly trying to flirt with Rey and the comedy with him asking BB to bail him out are truly funny. I'm STILL not upset or offended by any of this, John is SELLING what could have been a corny sequence with real charm and wit, testament to his acting ability. It's going pretty well

And then Han shows up and it all goes out the window.

It's hard for me to describe how utterly dissapointed I was with Finn's character form this point onward. He gets kidnapped by the Alien and has to be saved by Rey. Chewbacca abuses him in a sequence that's neither funny or cute. While Han is helping them get away, and Rey is proving how smart she is. Finn is getting choked by the wookie. When we get to Maz Kinata's palace all of the courage that Finn has built up from the past half hour suddenly melts away. He wants to run, he confesses to Rey in a sequence that just screams "I'm the Cowardly Lion dorothy and I have no heart" telling her that "Nobody ever looked at me the way you did and I didn't want to disappoint you" (paraphrasing from memory) and walks away. At this point I leaned over to my girl and said "it's 2015 and look. We're STILL the cowardly side kick" which apparently this Asian guy overheard, more on him later. THIS is our black male lead? Luke NEVER had such a cowardly, spineless speech at any point in ANH. Neither did Han or Leia. But alas, Finn does...

Later on, after Rey rejects her destiny. Finn is given the lightsaber to carry to her. This is where we get the "Driving Miss Ridley" part of Finn's character. At this point Finn's entire motivation becomes helping Rey. Which is fine, however Finn is given nothing else as personal motivation. He has no a,notions of joining the resistance, he's not force sensitive to training isn't in his cards, so after saving Rey then what? fukk it, Finn is hell bent on helping Rey. He battles a Storm Trooper who calls him a traitor, igniting the mythical blue lightsaber of Luke to combat hand to hand. He actually impales one trooper almost by accident, amd duels the second one, getting roundly defeated until Han saves him. Finn simply CANNOT finish a fight on his own it seems, saved by Rey from the Alien earlier, and now saved by Han. This is a theme I will touch on in a moment.

Rey is captured and once again, Finn' s sole motivation is to save her. At THIS point I'm thinking, ok, this guy is supposed to be the THIRD hero, they've GOT to give him his true "hero" moment in the last act, ALL leads in Star Wars movies get ONE right? Finn reunites with Poe (They really are a great duo, they play off each other like they really could be best friends) and helps give Leia and the resistance information on the Star Killer. Finn says he knows how to bring down the Order's shields, and volunteers to go with Han. But... SUPRISE SURPRISE...he's LYING. EVERY. SINGLE. ACTION of his that could be heroic or selfless or badass is twinged with a loss or a lie. And then the wisecracks DO get really corny and unnecessary. When Han berates him for lying and being a SANITATION WORKER...

Finn: We'll just use the force:gladbron:

Han: That's not how the force works!:martin:
dhMeAzK.gif

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Tariq gems in the vid

"He was the sidekick for everyone"

"I wouldn't say he was comic relief, he was c00n relief"

"There's a little ol android that be tasering him like how a cop tasers nikkas"

"Then the Chewbaca character carried the Black dude off like a bytch"

"Anybody tells you that dude was hero, if he's Black he's a c00n and if they're white they're a White Supremacist to co-sign that shyt. That's the kinds of Negro they like, a unix, a castrated negro. That role that brotha played... Lupita could have played that shyt. They wouldn't even have to change the script. A woman could have played that role. Nia long could have played it"

"Some people are like "I gotta see how the Finn character will develop in the new movie" oh stop, y'all sound like slaves "oh we gon get shytted on now, but let's see how we get treated in heaven, how we'll be treated in the future" nah you're getting shytted on now. I don't give a damn about maybe, I'm watching the black dude get thrown under the bus now. They're some Black people who are totally cool with that, I'll play second fiddle, I don't mind being the side-kick. Some of y'all just don't mind being the sidekick. Some of y'all don't mind being the damn sidekick. You don't mind being the unix, the asexual black friend, you don't mind playing the subservient c00n role because you probably play now in real life. So if you can play in it outer-space that's it's even better:damn:"

:laff:'''''''''''''''''''' :wow:'''''''''''''''' :laff:'''''''''''''''''' :wow:

Last edited:

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Maybe if the marketing hadn't CLEARLY been a ridiculous Bait and Switch then people wouldn't have been misled.

Make no mistake, this isn't a case of black people seeing that Boyega had been cast and just hoping he'd be Force Sensitive. It was shyt like THIS

That had people thinking he'd be the main hero and a Jedi. Keep in mind. He's the FIRST human character in the cinematic continuity to wield a Lightsaber in combat and NOT turn out to be Force Sensitive. THATS how far they went to market him as a hero, only to switch it and have the white girl be the hero.

It was pure mis-marketing and it was bullshyt.

People keep saying if "Finn were White you wouldn't have a problem". That's a cop-out, the fact of the matter is he's NOT white, and again, if the marketing of the movie hadn't been built around Finn as an important character with the Force, then you might have an argument. But not only did he turn out to not have the Force, he was a cowardly, bumbling, comedic side kick, with no goal beyond "save Rey", which he didn't accomplish. Every single thing he set out to do in the film he failed at. He failed in fighting the storm trooper (Han saved him) he failed to save Rey (Rey saved herself, within 30 minutes of first using the force) he failed in fighting Kylo Ren and wound up in a coma (Rey kicked Kylo's ass, again within 24 hours of first using the force)

Han was a selfish jerk in ANH? Fantastic, he STILL got his moment of heroism in the film when he came back to help Luke.

Luke was a Whiny farm boy? Great, he STILL destroyed the Death Star.

Leia was a spoiled Brat? Yep, she STILL was the one who ended up saving both Luke and Han on Vadar's stronghold when they were outgunned and overmatched.

The fact of the matter is that Finn is the ONE "main" character out of SIX movies to accomplish absolutely nothing by the climax. If it weren't for Boyega's performance the character literally would've been worthless.

He couldn't pilot
He couldn't fight
He couldn't save the white girl
He got his ass kicked by Rey
He got his ass kicked by Chewie
He got his ass kicked by the random Alien
He got his ass kicked by A Storm Trooper
He got his ass kicked by Kylo Ren

Where's the redemption in all of this? Where's the supposed "Destiny" that has been awakened when the final shot of his character he isn't even fukking CONSCIOUS!!?!!

Because if his "destiny" was to carry the lightsaber until the white girl awoke to her destiny then you can miss me with that shyt. Hell they should've went ahead and just cast a white actor and kept it moving
zeIms8L.png

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
What Tariq said that made me realize he was right was that you could replace Finn with a woman, keep the same lines and everything, and it really wouldn't make a difference.

I started thinking like "Damn...he's right." :ohhh:

Anyway there's no reason for Finn and Rey not to be an official romantic couple by the end of this trilogy, outside of white supremacy. We'll just have to wait and see. :jbhmm:
remember this when people start shytting on Tariq.

ezrathegreat

Veteran
Daps
Anybody posting that "this thread is f****** pathetic" or "you guys are f****** pathetic" or "stop complaining" needs to be at the bottom of a f****** mass graves. this is the poison in the black community these pieces of s*** should be under dogshyt in a f****** mass grave next to their brother because that is a Benedict Arnold that should be dead and only dead.

Black men are only making conscious observations and letting other black men who are not as privy know what the real deal is and for you to come in here and say that it is pathetic that we aren't going for the same old okeydoke is beyond reprehensible f*** you f*** your mother f*** your father fukk the c** that he spat out...u are shyt. May you forever burn in the bowels of hell

A lot of these posters who don't get it are actually CACS.

Verbal Kint

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
TC, Ap
Black men are only making conscious observations and letting other black men who are not as privy know what the real deal is and for you to come in here and say that it is pathetic that we aren't going for the same old okeydoke is beyond reprehensible f*** you f*** your mother f*** your father fukk the c** that he spat out...u are shyt. May you forever burn in the bowels of hell
:mjlol:. Y'all acting like you're off the cuff observations are gospel or something. I'm as hyper aware of Hollywood's portrayal of black men as anyone but that doesn't mean everything plays to the same narrative and anyone that doesn't view it that was is 'not as privy'. Like I said before ya'll want it both ways: more black folks in major movies but only in roles you deem 'worthy'. Again, the role of Fin is a racially ambiguous role. Yall are taking preconceived ideas and notions and trying to make it fit. Its like saying 'yea you're definitely a Pisces' after they tell you their birth date.