Tariq Nasheed on new Star Wars movie - "12 Years a Space Slave"

perfectblack999

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So you telling me I have to buy all three movie tickets before I know if the movie is c00n Wars? nikka I'm waiting for all that shyt to hit online streaming for free before I even give time to spend 2:30 hours to watch the shyt.

Naw, but characters take L's all the time. It's called growth and storytelling. In fact, every character except Rey was taking L's the whole movie.

Thread is still funny AF though.

Unknown Poster

I had to do it to em.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHH Class of 2006
If Black males don't see how emasculating that is, then they are lost. A female having to save you constantly as a man doesn't look good at all. And even though this is a movie, people internalize what they see even from fictional movies. Everything you see is a form of propaganda.
Yep

Ronnie Lott

#49erGang
Daps
Maybe if the marketing hadn't CLEARLY been a ridiculous Bait and Switch then people wouldn't have been misled.

Make no mistake, this isn't a case of black people seeing that Boyega had been cast and just hoping he'd be Force Sensitive. It was shyt like THIS

That had people thinking he'd be the main hero and a Jedi. Keep in mind. He's the FIRST human character in the cinematic continuity to wield a Lightsaber in combat and NOT turn out to be Force Sensitive. THATS how far they went to market him as a hero, only to switch it and have the white girl be the hero.

It was pure mis-marketing and it was bullshyt.

People keep saying if "Finn were White you wouldn't have a problem". That's a cop-out, the fact of the matter is he's NOT white, and again, if the marketing of the movie hadn't been built around Finn as an important character with the Force, then you might have an argument. But not only did he turn out to not have the Force, he was a cowardly, bumbling, comedic side kick, with no goal beyond "save Rey", which he didn't accomplish. Every single thing he set out to do in the film he failed at. He failed in fighting the storm trooper (Han saved him) he failed to save Rey (Rey saved herself, within 30 minutes of first using the force) he failed in fighting Kylo Ren and wound up in a coma (Rey kicked Kylo's ass, again within 24 hours of first using the force)

Han was a selfish jerk in ANH? Fantastic, he STILL got his moment of heroism in the film when he came back to help Luke.

Luke was a Whiny farm boy? Great, he STILL destroyed the Death Star.

Leia was a spoiled Brat? Yep, she STILL was the one who ended up saving both Luke and Han on Vadar's stronghold when they were outgunned and overmatched.

The fact of the matter is that Finn is the ONE "main" character out of SIX movies to accomplish absolutely nothing by the climax. If it weren't for Boyega's performance the character literally would've been worthless.

He couldn't pilot
He couldn't fight
He couldn't save the white girl
He got his ass kicked by Rey
He got his ass kicked by Chewie
He got his ass kicked by the random Alien
He got his ass kicked by A Storm Trooper
He got his ass kicked by Kylo Ren

Where's the redemption in all of this? Where's the supposed "Destiny" that has been awakened when the final shot of his character he isn't even fukking CONSCIOUS!!?!!

Because if his "destiny" was to carry the lightsaber until the white girl awoke to her destiny then you can miss me with that shyt. Hell they should've went ahead and just cast a white actor and kept it moving

:damn:

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Don't tell me yall done turned on Boyega in the span of 1 thread :heh:

NOT turning on Boyega he's a hell of an actor and really he did his best to elevate what was given to him. If the character had stayed true to the first 35 minutes of the movie I'd have no issues.

The PROBLEM is with Finn's character. He's given no true arc, no motivation (other than save the white girl, which he FAILED at) and no redemption. Like Tariq said, EVERY MAIN CHARACTER IN THESE TYPES OF MOVIES GETS THEIR "HERO" MOMENT. Finn didn't get shyt but his ass whooped.

I'm not going to go so far as call brothers "c00ns" on here who fail to see the point, because I know ALOT of brothers who are die hard Star Wars fans, and with anything you are a fan of, you don't necessarily want to see it heavily criticized. But people DEFINITELY have a wool over their eyes if their defending Finn and his emasculated personification.

"bu..bu..BUT... It's a TRILOGY! You have to wait until the end before you judge" nikka please. Did you have to wait until Return Of The King before Aragon did something heroic? Did you have to wait until ROTJ before Luke did something heroic? Did you have to wait until Revolutions before Neo did something heroic? Hell did you have to wait until MIB3 before Jay did something heroic? :stopitslime:

"You want to Finn to be a bad ass bu..bu..BUT it makes him HUMAN to lose at first! It makes him a fully realized character to be afraid and later on he'll find courage!" STFU with that cop-out. First of all, this is FANTASY set in a galaxy where a farm boy whose never seen combat a day in his life previously used the force to destroy a planet destroying weapon. A Galaxy where a fukking 9 year old pilots a space ship and successfully enters a galactic dogfight. And you want to use the bullshyt "realism" excuse when the black character spends the entire movie LOSING. :comeon:

"Bu...bu...BUT Finn needs "proper" character development. You see nobody just wins against the bad guys at first, and you think Han started out as a badass? Or Luke? You just want to rush him into being a hero without developing him". Rey went from Scavenger to Ass-kicking Warrior in ONE film. Han went from selfish vagabond to reliable companion in ONE film. Anakin went from slave to Jedi padawon in ONE film. Finn went from cowardly storm trooper...to a Coma...in ONE film. :camby:

fukk this movie

Last edited:

FrederickDouglas

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What Tariq said that made me realize he was right was that you could replace Finn with a woman, keep the same lines and everything, and it really wouldn't make a difference.

I started thinking like "Damn...he's right." :ohhh:

Anyway there's no reason for Finn and Rey not to be an official romantic couple by the end of this trilogy, outside of white supremacy. We'll just have to wait and see. :jbhmm:

Slimkid07

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I enjoyed the movie but I see the grievances pointed out by the posters and Tariq.
@Ziggiy has made some fantastic, well thought out points in this thread.
I just really want to support John Boyega because after Attack The Block, I knew this brotha had something. I want him to win.

The main thing I was upset about was, there wasn't a barbershop in the Death Star where he could get a proper fade? :pachaha:

Since this thread is a spoiled, I have one possible issue with cats saying Fin isn't force-sensitive. They may have left that window open for him.
Remember in the opening scene when he didn't pull the trigger and kill the innocent prisoners like the other stormtroopers?
When Kyo Ren was walking away, he stared at him as if he sensed something. He didn't see Fin not firing.
It kind of reminded me of when Vader in Star Wars sensed Oni Wan Kenobi's presence but couldn't figure it out.
And later when talking with the Snoke, he mentions the force awakening. It doesn't have to be just Rey.

Also, Lupita's character kept staring at him too as if she sensed something. I know she said that he's running from something but maybe it's more?

And come on, this dude went up against a baby Sith Lord and held his own for a minute. Even hit him in the shoulder that was almost an exact replay of the Vader/Luke fight
Luke-Skywalker-vs-Darth-Vader.gif

It's just instead of getting his hand cut off, he damn near got cut in half. :francis:
I was cringing a little at his facial expressions but Boyega was really good man. I hope he blows up.

Last edited:

Michael's Black Son

Blanket Jackson
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New York City & Neverland Ranch
Yo that whole Star Wars commentary was on the mark and fukking hilarious. The movie might have broken all kinds of records but I'm not wasting my $$ to see that shyt. People were hyping John up on the strength of the film teasers and turns out that these fukkers used him as a Storm Trooper in the name of getting that buzz going. No fukking way they were gonna have him in that movie being heroic and fukking the shyt out of these intergalactic hoes.

A lot of y'all bustas try to shyt on Tariq but the dude is ALWAYS on point with the social commentary that's plain as day but propel ain't trying to see it.

606onit

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Passport Abuse
Tariq been on a fire lately that south Africa podcast was piff.
Yep. The continent trip got him out of our toxic environment.

-Named by a white breh
-Saved by a white brehette x7 times
-Worked in Sanitation (fake ass trooper mopping shyt)
-Ran away from every fight but 1
-Lied about everything he did/was
-Almost cried when ole girl was taken
-AGREED TO WORK AS A SLAVE TO ESCAPE THE PLANET
"

Ya, I'm bootlegging this bullshyt

TMNT4000

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami Gardens/North Miami
Lol at this thread.:russ:

I can understand how some of y'all mad about the false advertising of Finn and how you didn't like how he came across in the film.

But don't make shyt up just to make seem Finn was useless.

The white chick saved him once. Not multiple times like y'all claim. And he wasn't constantly getting saved, he was the one did most the saving plots.:mindblown:

Finn was in the majority of action scenes in the movie including the final battle. He moved the majority of the plot. He is co-lead of the movie after all.:comeon:

He was not no gotdamn sidekick to the white chick in the movie.:dahell:

He was no fukking coward, every action scene he was in he stayed and fight(and took out the enemies while doing it).:what:

And what c00n thing he did in the movie I really like to know.:dead:

If you didn't like how the route they took with Finn's character fine that's your honest opinion. But don't make up shyt that he was some kind of super coward sidekick c00n, that's far from the truth.