Successful woman seeks supportive boyfriend: an impossibility

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
you can disagree all you want, but i know i'm right. you can "date" for years and still wont know who your mate is until you've lived together indefinitely. how do you really know how you function as a married couple, when you have tested those waters?

on the other hand studies have found that premarital cohabitation is associated with increased risk of divorce, a lower quality of marriage, poorer marital communication, and higher levels of domestic abuse.

SouthernBelle

#Feyonce
Daps

Definitely not impossible, but I have experienced what the researcher found in her research.

My very first boyfriend, who I dated all throughout college, sincerely felt that his accomplishments didn't match mine (and I could see that it affected his self-concept and efficacy). He would make comments about how his parents bragged on me more than they bragged on him. He genuinely felt that they were more proud me and my accomplishments than his. He also felt some type of way because my college was ranked really high (so people who often ohhh and ahhh once they found out where I went to school). He told me that with all my ideas I was going to blow up and be the next Oprah and he wondered who he was going to be. What he didn't realize was that I had simply found what I like and excelled in and he was still searching for that. Everything eventually turned into a competition. I couldn't even win a game of Phase 10 without him getting a pissy attitude. We aren't together anymore, but even to this day, he is trying to live up to some standard that he thinks will out do me.

That experience made me genuinely want a husband in a different field and who is more successful than me because I can't take the above again (esp when I'm not throwing my accomplishments in his face).

My current boyfriend is HELLA supportive. As far as I can tell, he is genuinely happy for the things that I am accomplishing. However, I honestly believe that he wants a very successful partner (it makes him look good). A few of our friends from undergrad have made Forbes Top 30 under 30 lists in the past. His frat brother's girlfriend made it and I could tell by his reaction that he wants a woman like that. He is also about to be a doctor so he doesn't have much to be insecure about....

Last edited:

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
LOL, this is that same backwards-ass chit you were talkin' about earlier.

Let you be dating a female for a little bit who you're feeling. When y'all finallly get to talking about bread, and you make $20 an hour
while she's making $25...you gonna think it's aight that she wants to peace you out because of that?

:laugh: black women always make more than their men in these hypotheticals, guys gotta peep game to this shyt

anyways, i don't see the contradiction, i wouldn't date a girl making more than me.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
:laugh: black women always make more than their men in these hypothetical, guys gotta peep game to this shyt

anyways, i don't see the contradiction, i wouldn't date a girl making more than me.

Nicca, i'm a man...

...so uh, when do you start talmbat finances with broads you go out with? You have to be doing this pretty early...

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
:laugh: black women always make more than their men in these hypothetical, guys gotta peep game to this shyt

LMMFAO!! So hypothetically you make $65k and she makes $66k, you're jumping ship? STFU!

Nicca, i'm a man...

...so uh, when do you start talmbat finances with broads you go out with? You have to be doing this pretty early...
Probably the first date.

Chris.B

Banned
Daps
:pachaha: Y'all need to give better examples though... I mean, who doesn't have money to go to a movie :what:
you have people in here saying the one with the money doesn't control the relationship.....these black women have been conditioned to date bums who spend their money and cheat on them as well :russ:

Every Friday he counts on her paycheck more than she does, the n!gga sitting on the couch playing xbox all day and sh!t

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nicca, i'm a man...

i thought you were a chick for the longest :merchant:

i understand your pt btw, but it's not that hard to determine if you're making more than your spouse. thats something you should bang out almost immediately, regardless of how awkward it may be.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
you have people in here saying the one with the money doesn't control the relationship.....these black women have been conditioned to date bums who spend their money and cheat on them as well :russ:

Every Friday he counts on her paycheck more than she does, the n!gga sitting on the couch playing xbox all day and sh!t
:whoa: don't put ME in that category of black women, I already said I don't date no job no ambition good for nothing bums.

marcuz

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
LMMFAO!! So hypothetically you make $65k and she makes $66k, you're jumping ship? STFU!

Probably the first date.

first you went from the woman making TWICE as much as the man, to the woman making 1,000 more. why are you trying to create so much wiggle room for this shyt. :pachaha:

Chris.B

Banned
Daps

Probably the first date.
I guarantee you as a black woman have dated more men who make less than you....most white women will not entertain a man who makes less.

The black woman needs to aim higher when it comes to men she procreates with....