Successful woman seeks supportive boyfriend: an impossibility

Desirous

Action expresses priorities
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
As a married couple, they both should have life insurance for 10x their income (of a set amount for a stay at home mom) that should cover bills plus more in the event that one passes away. Boyfriends and Girlfriends don't take life insurance policies out on each other. There is a different level financially that comes with marriage.
Would be wise, but how many married people actually do that?

MikelArteta

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Top 4
What about the black male privilege? :patrice:

its dead more black women are in college than males.

more black women will get hired in the corporate world than black males
black women have won this round

even at my work 950 people like 10 blacks. There are only 3 black males and one works in the mail room.

And the black females are in like managerial positions.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
black women always create hypothetical situations where the bum can be great, and the guy with money can lose it all. :camby: im done
You're being an idiot today. I'm just saying that it really doesn't fukking matter how much someone makes when you're dating them. Why? Because more than likely it's going to go up each year or in an unfortunate event if will go down. If they are able to take care of their households separately, then it's all good.

If they couple is married, then they BOTH have to deal with either making more money or losing money. If my boyfriend got a raise or lost his job, that doesn't imapct me financially. If we were married it would impact me.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Would be wise, but how many married people actually do that?
That's on them and how they operate their marriage. But don't pretend there aren't safeguards in place for when situations like death or disability happens in a marriage.

Desirous

Daps
Reppin
Toronto
That's on them and how they operate their marriage. But don't pretend there aren't safeguards in place for when situations like death or disability happens in a marriage.
There are more than just dating someone, of course.

I would still prefer to live with a person before I marry him.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
It's more of a risk moving in with someone you're not married to from a financial standpoint.

Most couples are going to move up in housing and move into a place the both of them can't afford by themselves. If the shyt goes belly up, one person has to move and/or they have to live together until the lease is up. Breaking the lease costs money, moving costs money, readjusting your life, schedule and commute costs time.

I'm all for an enaged couple staying long periods of time at each other's homes to "test" the waters but fukk giving up your own space before you say I do. Maintaining two households may be more expensive initially, but you'll thank your lucky stars if the engagement goes foul.

To be honest, I wasnt even thinking about finances. There's certain things I want to be sure about before I make the worst mistake of my life. But it sounds like you go into a situation planning to fail. May be even sabotaging the shyt :patrice:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There are more than just dating someone, of course.

I would still prefer to live with a person before I marry him.
Oh I'm not knocking you or anyone for shacking up before marriage and I hope it all works out and gets to the point of marriage. But there are times the shyt doesn't work out. People end up being displaced and taking financial hits and that's scary, especially if you're depending on that person's contribution for shelter.

Desirous

Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Oh I'm not knocking you or anyone for shacking up before marriage and I hope it all works out and gets to the point of marriage. But there are times the shyt doesn't work out. People end up being displaced and taking financial hits and that's scary, especially if you're depending on that person's contribution for shelter.

I'd rather get hit financially than marry someone before living with him/knowing him as well as I possibly can/experiencing what it's like living with that person. If I get hit financially, I prefer to go through that with a bf - someone I do not have a joint banking account with. If a person you are considering marrying anyway is going to screw you over financially, he'll do so regardless.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
To be honest, I wasnt even thinking about finances. There's certain things I want to be sure about before I make the worst mistake of my life. But it sounds like you go into a situation planning to fail. May be even sabotaging the shyt :patrice:
Expect the best, prepare for the worse.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'd rather get hit financially than marry someone before living with him/knowing him as well as I possibly can/experiencing what it's like living with that person. If I get hit financially, I prefer to go through that with a bf - someone I do not have a joint banking account with. If a person you are considering marrying anyway is going to screw you over financially, he'll do so regardless.

What type of things could you find out by living with someone before marriage that you can't living separately from them? It's not like I'm saying never spend the night or extended periods of time with your mate before considering marriage but you don't have to physically move in with someone to get a gauge of how it would be to live with them.

If you're not worried about taking a financial hit then I'll have to believe you're well off or come about money easily.

King Poetic

Black Coast Island
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles County, California
Most men would have no problems with a woman making more than them, however it seems that when women make more than a men they have to flaunt it in their face.

c/s.. To many so called successful women today throw that my own house, my own car, my own career in guys face and then they say i need a man on my level or he need to be getting to or pass my level.. EVERYTHING IS BASE OF STATUS TO THESE WOMEN..

A Man who makes a decent living and doing the best he can isn't good enough for them. a brother can be doing construction and be happy at what he doing but she would criticize him for not wanting more, like CEO of the company. Many Guys are just happy punching in and out everyday and just not into the hassle of employees, payroll and politics of the business.

That's why many of these guys date and married women who's not executives, lawyers, doctors, etc, etc and that are simply just working women in society. they don't have that pressure or nonsense of trying to live the way these women want them to live and i totally respect that.

CJ

Your objective semi-troll
Daps
Reppin
6ix
Thought I make decent money as it is, if my wife somehow eventually surpassed me in annual salary, I wouldn't be mad at that at all. More in the pot, more things to buy.

I don't understand how guys are feeling less of themselves if their SO makes more than them? If you're both hard working and doing well financially together, what's the problem? Be proud you have a woman that is striving to make cake, as opposed to having no motivation and living off yours!

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
The real answer is how many women will actually date a man that makes significantly less than him before feeling he's not 'manning up'
when it comes to finances or tries to 'lil boy' him because his money isn't where she thinks it should be. The way a woman will typically treat a man making significantly less than her and one making significantly more than her is completely different in most circumstances, so it's obvious why a lot of men will choose not to walk into a situation where they can have a financial disparity held over their heads.

Desirous

Daps
Reppin
Toronto
What type of things could you find out by living with someone before marriage that you can't living separately from them? It's not like I'm saying never spend the night or extended periods of time with your mate before considering marriage but you don't have to physically move in with someone to get a gauge of how it would be to live with them.

If you're not worried about taking a financial hit then I'll have to believe you're well off or come about money easily.

Spending a week with your bf here and there is different from living with him - seeing him 24/7 (aside from work etc). When you're spending nights or random weeks it's like you're on vacation mode. Just like visiting NYC several times a year and spending time there is different from actually living there day-to-day. At least that's how I feel. You get an idea of what it's like, but you don't get the full picture.

I'm not worried because I wouldn't move in with a long term boyfriend worrying about how he may screw me over...it's just not my mentality. I wouldn't be with him in the first place if I had that even in the back of my mind.