Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope” Update: Confirmed Blassic

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Should other developers be paying attention to this, and learn lessons from it? Absolutely. But taking this as a flat "All y'all need to do better" situation is pretty unrealistic, and honestly belittles how incredibly smart Larian has been with developing Baldur's Gate in the first place.

Games aren't developed in a vacuum, and no two games have the exact same development circumstances. Early Access has been absolutely vital to them being able to pull this off, and I really don't think some of these other studios would be able to get away with selling the first act of a game for three years, even if they're completely up front with saying that they're going to take feedback and implement it directly in ongoing development.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Honestly seems like too much for a game.

Have not played one of the previous entries but the 1000+ endings talk is both intriguing and intimidating to me.

Basically

nobody-got-time-for-that-a-intnobody-got-time-for-that.gif

From an opportunity cost standpoint. Seems like a waste

Would prefer that they made 2 or 3 good games instead of 1 huge one.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Should other developers be paying attention to this, and learn lessons from it? Absolutely. But taking this as a flat "All y'all need to do better" situation is pretty unrealistic, and honestly belittles how incredibly smart Larian has been with developing Baldur's Gate in the first place.

Games aren't developed in a vacuum, and no two games have the exact same development circumstances. Early Access has been absolutely vital to them being able to pull this off, and I really don't think some of these other studios would be able to get away with selling the first act of a game for three years, even if they're completely up front with saying that they're going to take feedback and implement it directly in ongoing development.

It’s weird because people had no problem saying open world games need to be more like Witcher 3, RDR2, Elden Ring or BoTW, why are we putting the breaks on Larian all of a sudden?

They’re still an independent studio at the end of the day

taker597

Superstar
Daps
It’s weird because people had no problem saying open world games need to be more like Witcher 3, RDR2, Elden Ring or BoTW, why are we putting the breaks on Larian all of a sudden?

Because Isometric RPG market is based high profit margins with small teams and budgets.

It's why people that try to push back re upper management devs.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

:wtf:

People complaining about development cycles being too long and too stressful for developers is them saying that approach doesn't work for everyone. And even using those examples is overlooking what people really wanted. No one was asking for people to copy those games, they wanted the depth of sidequests of Witcher 3, the writing and characterization of RDR2, and whatever it is people liked about Elden Ring.

Hell, that development style is starting to piss people off about Rockstar, since people are well beyond ready for them to just move on from GTA 5 already.

I think this is just the inevitable case of devs finally calling out how hypocritical most consumers are with using "Making games is hard" as a way to ignore shortcomings for studios and games they like, and then immediately ignore that same point when demanding things from games and devs that don't fall into that category, despite knowing fukk all about how making games works.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
mess around and see your life's 1 ending before seeing the game's 17,000 :damn:
I'm crossing my fingers for the return of 'ending slides'-style post-ending closure processes. Fallout laid them to rest and no one picked them back up and it's dumb. Tell me how my decisions rippled after I stopped going to that shytty opening town! Let me know the poor NPC I stepped over and didn't give some coins went full-evil after I left and me being cheap pretty much jumpstarted a villain origin story. Something, so it doesn't seem like the game stops happening the minute your character isn't on stage anymore. I miss that shyt.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
This game is actually one of the reasons I built a PC…been waiting for the full release for what feels like forever. Glad to hear it might deliver way beyond expectations
same. I'm sat over here waiting for that full release with a fresh 4090 build that has only seen 10~ minutes of Cyberpunk and some light Elden Ring Convergence mod play. Risking nothing - this shyt drop and I'm in there on max with headphones on ready to roll some 1s and ruin some lives.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There aren't 17k endings bruh. If a character dies at some point and they aren't in a spot they are usually in other endings they consider it a variation. If its one of those games where the endings contains like some slide of what the characters are up to than every single difference is probably considered a variation. Yall need to stop getting hyped when these developers throw out these stupid ass numbers...."omg 100 planets"

TaxCollector13459

2018 Coli Rookie of the Year
Daps
Some games are just fine with a streamlined approach. At least for me so ME and DA are good, I don’t really need do every possible action to have a good time. That’s why that first DA is still one of the goats. Some gamers get carried away when a rpg doesn’t let you do WHATEVER you want

Facts
Some times to can add too much and fukk up the pot.

Plus ME/Da had a directed path plot, full customization woulda took away from it.

Lost oddesey is in the same lane

ReggieFlare

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ITGang
same. I'm sat over here waiting for that full release with a fresh 4090 build that has only seen 10~ minutes of Cyberpunk and some light Elden Ring Convergence mod play. Risking nothing - this shyt drop and I'm in there on max with headphones on ready to roll some 1s and ruin some lives.

:gladbron:

These the same dudes that made the convergence mod for Dark Souls 3? I’m bout to go cop right now lol

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
:gladbron:

These the same dudes that made the convergence mod for Dark Souls 3? I’m bout to go cop right now lol
Yup.

It's still technically in alpha. Not finished with the mod but they've added all new classes, and I think over 100 spells and a good few weapons. I've done more full runs in Convergence than vanilla at this point - changes the game and it's great.

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
Was never able to get it divinity original sin 2
Will I be able to get into this?
I like rpgs tho just never been able to fully "get" crpgs