Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope” Update: Confirmed Blassic

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
They mentioned not doing it because of WotC being about to drop their official D&D platform game (that looks mid as fukk), but... Larian had a 'DM Mode' in DOS2 that let you literally make your own scenarios/stories. If they'd been able to get that implemented in here, then this game basically coulda been a multiplayer platform used to just... run TTRPG games over the internet.

The content farm for the Critical Role copycats all over Youtube woulda been massive, but even moreso for those groups of TTRPG players who drifted due to life, or had to end their sessions due to COVID, or any other number of things being able to get together on Discord and run their shyt.

As it is, there's still plenty of potential with the massive world that this is already going to be, especially with the possibility of running paralleled stories with other people playing doing their own things across the map. Me and my now-ex did 100+ hours in DOS2 splitscreen, and I only found out she was stealing from everyone I engaged in dialogue when she got caught and the entirety of a town turned on us and we had to kill them all. That kinda stuff happening on Twitch streams... literally only takes a couple named streamers having a moment like that and the internet will do the rest.

I'm fascinated to see what the RPG landscape looks like after this comes out and gets a chance to cook for some time and people can dig through it.

I'm almost willing to put money on it right now that DA4 ain't touching this, no matter how much extra dev time they finna tack on to that ho when this drops and crushes the buildings.

I think if anything DA4 sounds like theyre scaling back the rpg mechanics of it. Everything that leaked points to it going more casual

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
I actually made my character a Teifling, first time i ever chose a non-human race and it wasn’t because the black features weren’t bad i just thought it looked so dope, and i was still able to make it look like a black man, thats how in depth it is.
The little addition of that toggle to show 'all skin colors' combined with a studio that... ya know... puts a bit of work in to make dark skin tones not look muted, or muddled, or just fukking bad... it opens the possibility to make a 'black' version of basically anything. I've been greatly enjoying being a darkskined half-elf with cornrows and a neck tattoo. Because I was able to make that character in a game and not have the game punish me for making such a thing by having them show up in cutscenes looking ugly as fukk compared to Caucasian NPC Extra #7881 in the way background looking like he got two extra rendering passes than my protagonist did.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The little addition of that toggle to show 'all skin colors' combined with a studio that... ya know... puts a bit of work in to make dark skin tones not look muted, or muddled, or just fukking bad... it opens the possibility to make a 'black' version of basically anything. I've been greatly enjoying being a darkskined half-elf with cornrows and a neck tattoo. Because I was able to make that character in a game and not have the game punish me for making such a thing by having them show up in cutscenes looking ugly as fukk compared to Caucasian NPC Extra #7881 in the way background looking like he got two extra rendering passes than my protagonist did.

I wish i saved some screen shots, i had the “dream girl” character looking bad af too, like coco jones :banderas:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
I think if anything DA4 sounds like theyre scaling back the rpg mechanics of it. Everything that leaked points to it going more casual
would fit BiowEAre's MO - funnel money from mechanics and playtesting to marketing; counterbalance by shaving down the experience to best appeal to the exact market that doesn't give a fukk about your 'dumb elves and magic' game in the first place.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, tbh.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
I wish i saved some screen shots, i had the “dream girl” character looking bad af too, like coco jones :banderas:
My mans. They overhauled that character - announced in the recent update. Rewrote the whole character storyline of who that was and how they interact with your character.

Told me I need to not spend sub-5 minutes ol girl in character creation like I usually do because creation fatigue has hit, I've been in creator for over an hour on my main and the 'down by the river' song got me halfway to relaxed sleep. On full release I'll probably just accept my first game session is going to be entirely character creator and let Early Access metagame knowledge help me speedrun my way to at least level 3.

Already accepting I might not have the patience and run a concurrent Dark Urge playthrough so the internet doesn't spoil it before I get around to it.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
My mans. They overhauled that character - announced in the recent update. Rewrote the whole character storyline of who that was and how they interact with your character.

Told me I need to not spend sub-5 minutes ol girl in character creation like I usually do because creation fatigue has hit, I've been in creator for over an hour on my main and the 'down by the river' song got me halfway to relaxed sleep. On full release I'll probably just accept my first game session is going to be entirely character creator and let Early Access metagame knowledge help me speedrun my way to at least level 3.

Already accepting I might not have the patience and run a concurrent Dark Urge playthrough so the internet doesn't spoil it before I get around to it.

Yeah, im assuming a lot changed since I played EA, which was last year May. Thats why i tried not to get too deep into it, i never really play early access shyt for that reason.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I was very skeptical when it was first revealed since I dislike the art style (seeing semi realistic 3D renders of D&D races is just ugly lol). But since then it's been clear this is legit, and worthy of being a sequel to the earlier classic iterations. I haven't played the demo but will be copping this sometime in the fall. Not first week since I still gotta give Diablo 4 some time.

Hopeofmypeople

Veteran
Daps
RPG Developers are getting scared about what Larian is doing with this game. shyt is going to be goatee :banderas:

Everyone’s like chill with using Baldurs Gate 3 as a baseline for upcoming RPG’s, we ain’t built like that :hubie:

You could tell this game was going to kick ass and take names by the confidence Swen has been swaggering around with. It’s crazy how they are still an independent studio but able to fund large projects like this. Some of what’s been put out there are partially false, for example the developments time has been cited when people ignore the fact that Covid happened which would have put things to a crawl. I am very excited for this because it seems like the options available to you as a player will be insane to the point no one can legitimately say they have completed this game on just solely one play-through.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You could tell this game was going to kick ass and take names by the confidence Swen has been swaggering around with. It’s crazy how they are still an independent studio but able to fund large projects like this. Some of what’s been put out there are partially false, for example the developments time has been cited when people ignore the fact that Covid happened which would have put things to a crawl. I am very excited for this because it seems like the options available to you as a player will be insane to the point no one can legitimately say they have completed this game on just solely one play-through.

It actually turns out tencent owns a big chunk of them

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
A rare case of 'underpromise and overdeliver' in an industry that generally does the exact. fukking. opposite as a rite of course.

Less than the sprawl or the depth or the nuance, that's what other devs need to be taking from this. Don't try and assemble massive teams and try and just crib Larian - learn from what they did outside of the 'making the game' part. Because that's subjective and everyone's way is gonna be different. BG3 was developed different from all Larian's other games, too for that matter. But the way they interacted with their base, the transparency with the community and the pains gone through to make sure people always knew they were working so people never questioned it enough to check out and never check back in.

Seems simple, but... plenty of games could have learned from the 'shut the fukk up until you have something to show, and when you do... show it to people' approach. And they weren't afraid to course-correct when they did show something and people had issues with it.

Devs obfuscate everything they're doing, then get deep in their pride about their precious mechanic once they finally do get feedback, and... you end up with flops. Or fundamental gameplay foundations that just don't work or aren't fun.

'Kill your darlings' is a quote from Stephen King about writing as a concept. If the thing you love doesn't serve the story anymore: kill it. In service of the whole. There were whole mechanics that got excised from this to make the game better. And there were others that had to be scrapped and rebuilt. For the sake of the whole.

That's what the industry needs to learn from this. Not the fukking scope, or the reactivity. But how to make a thing for an audience outside of your dev studio and how to complete that thing without torpedoing your fanbase through shady practices and broken promises for the sake of 'hype'.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Baldur's Gate 3 contains 174 hours of possible cutscenes and 17,000 ending variations​

You won't see all of the cutscenes in a single playthrough (which Larian claims will take about 75-100 hours). It's all there to support the vast array of different player choices and backgrounds.

Last edited: