Studios consider Baldur’s Gate 3 anomaly : “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope” Update: Confirmed Blassic

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Facts

I wasn’t speaking on you personally but others who look down on games that don’t let you run wild in their world like that is a new standard because it’s not and never willl be. And if that’s the case a lot of upcoming rpgs will be unfairly judged by a mechanic that just is going to be in all games moving forward so expectations should be tempered

Yeah, im not putting down mass effect, dragons age, fallout, possibly starfield, etc. but those are like RPG-Lite games, more action adventure with some narrative decisions thrown in. Those games pretty much introduced the casual audience to more actual role playing that JRPG’s weren’t really doing on console.

I feel like this is the next step though for rpg games.

...people was deadass on my head in our BG3 thread for talking about the scope and depth of the game,
but now the industry seen a glimpse and the bird app got people doing preemptive thinkpieces like 'they did some crazy, generational shyt; don't be looking at us like that:whoa:' and the game ain't even fukking out yet.

Had people calling me crazy for saying this was about to do some shyt beyond what these other studios are even trying. And nikkas was sending me messages calling me all sorts of dumbass.

:beli:
You can fastball-special goblins into other goblins. I may make a character solely around just tossing shyt around. Tables. Chairs. Party members.
What other game lets you weaponize a gnome bard and throw it at a troll for damage? Name another: I'll wait

Love to see Larian getting that attention :banderas: DOS and even DOS2 didn't get as much respect because contemporaries were starting the transition of the genre away from 'role playing' and more into action-with-leveling/loot and the Larian formula in its infancy looked like a dated homage the RPGs past at glance, when it was actually a progression. And the (hopefully fully-realized) fruits of that are on the way to release.

shyt finna be wild.

Yeah, i will say that i wasn’t 100% sold on the combat during the EA but i also wasn’t trying to put that much effort into it because i knew i was going to start over and the game already felt kind of huge :dame:

I know there are people that already put like 200 hours into the EA

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never played dungeons and dragons in my life, only observed some cacs playing it in middle school.

Should I cop this game? I can run it and starfield on my laptop

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Never played dungeons and dragons in my life, only observed some cacs playing it in middle school.

Should I cop this game? I can run it and starfield on my laptop

Its not rudimentary like D&D, it functions like a normal open world isometric rpg, but you see the dice rolls and stuff for actions you take. Its dope, if you like RPGs at all you should def check it out

taker597

Superstar
Daps
The isometric RPG landscape has gotten stagnant and it need a jumpstart in innovation.

Diablo 4 is great, but it being only a true 40-50 experience is kind of lame for this genre.

It is not unrealistic to expect a true 100 hour experience.

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
How much in going on with this game to have ppl this shook?
it's massive and seemed to be packed with the level of story reactivity that we've been told by certain devs for the last two generations would be too difficult to code/write/develop/conceive... and it isn't even being sold as the primary drawing point of the game.

Think of how many RPGs sold players on choices mattering and decisions rippling then didn't deliver. Everything about this game is telling people it will. And there's a bunch of industry people who are gonna have to start moving goalposts and juelzing to justify why they didn't manage it themselves with a massive headstart, a nigh endless resource pool and all the pedigree and hype saying they could.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
you can actually make good looking black people in this game also

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its not rudimentary like D&D, it functions like a normal open world isometric rpg, but you see the dice rolls and stuff for actions you take. Its dope, if you like RPGs at all you should def check it out
I feel like a weeb admitting this but outside of fallout & stuff like Ni-oh (if it counts) I don't think I've played more than like 2 non japanese RPGs. All this high fantasy shyt like orcs & elves are foreign to me but people on Youtube seem so familiar. I got caught onto the hype of this game but many of the concepts are way over my head and isometric games like Diablo always looked like :trash:

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
They coppin pleas before it even comes out :huhldup:
The depth I saw in the fukking early access build, I can understand why

The character customization alone shyts on ALL rpgs out in the market. Only game I felt that was close was Hogwarts Legacy and that’s a far second.

I wish I had the time to actually play this shyt. It’s way too deep for my schedule. Could see a legit 1000 hours sunk into this shyt :picard:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
I feel like a weeb admitting this but outside of fallout & stuff like Ni-oh (if it counts) I don't think I've played more than like 2 non japanese RPGs. All this high fantasy shyt like orcs & elves are foreign to me but people on Youtube seem so familiar. I got caught onto the hype of this game but many of the concepts are way over my head and isometric games like Diablo always looked like :trash:
tbh bruh... you'll know more than you think. Either through cultural osmosis, or... the fact that D&D roots are spread into almost anything calling itself 'fantasy' at this point; even the most J or JRPGs. Hell, D&D concepts are in FF games. Most especially the job system - takes whole jobs from D&D class dynamics.

For the most part the game will do a good job of explaining what things are, or letting you see through context. For the most part. Some D&D classic concepts will matter more if you have some understanding than if you're fresh. General rule is if its named like it's something to worry about, or it's presented like something to worry about... fukking worry about it.

One exception. The name 'Beholder' sounds mundane. 'Observer' seems friendly. 'Spectator' sounds passive.

Do not pass Go. Do not collect $200. Just. fukking. Avoid.

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
The depth I saw in the fukking early access build, I can understand why

The character customization alone shyts on ALL rpgs out in the market. Only game I felt that was close was Hogwarts Legacy and that’s a far second.

I wish I had the time to actually play this shyt. It’s way too deep for my schedule. Could see a legit 1000 hours sunk into this shyt :picard:

My first hour of this game is going to be the character creation, plus you have to make two characters.

The Pledge

THE PRICE OF THE BRICK GOING UP!
Daps
My first hour of this game is going to be the character creation, plus you have to make two characters.

Breh I spent an hour making my character in EA because I never had the ability to make a realistic black person until this game. I never do that because the options are always so fukking weeeeeeak.

I was between :to: and :gladbron: at the hair options. Every other RPG makers have no excuses :pacspit:

I know the Dungeon and Dragons tabletop fans must be able to lose their shyt playing this game.

This shyt feels like a love letter to them. :wow:

Novembruh

Nah.
Daps
Reppin
The Bay
Breh I spent an hour making my character in EA because I never had the ability to make a realistic black person until this game. I never do that because the options are always so fukking weeeeeeak.

I was between :to: and :gladbron: at the hair options. Every other RPG makers have no excuses :pacspit:

I know the Dungeon and Dragons tabletop fans must be able to lose their shyt playing this game.

They mentioned not doing it because of WotC being about to drop their official D&D platform game (that looks mid as fukk), but... Larian had a 'DM Mode' in DOS2 that let you literally make your own scenarios/stories. If they'd been able to get that implemented in here, then this game basically coulda been a multiplayer platform used to just... run TTRPG games over the internet.

The content farm for the Critical Role copycats all over Youtube woulda been massive, but even moreso for those groups of TTRPG players who drifted due to life, or had to end their sessions due to COVID, or any other number of things being able to get together on Discord and run their shyt.

As it is, there's still plenty of potential with the massive world that this is already going to be, especially with the possibility of running paralleled stories with other people playing doing their own things across the map. Me and my now-ex did 100+ hours in DOS2 splitscreen, and I only found out she was stealing from everyone I engaged in dialogue when she got caught and the entirety of a town turned on us and we had to kill them all. That kinda stuff happening on Twitch streams... literally only takes a couple named streamers having a moment like that and the internet will do the rest.

I'm fascinated to see what the RPG landscape looks like after this comes out and gets a chance to cook for some time and people can dig through it.

I'm almost willing to put money on it right now that DA4 ain't touching this, no matter how much extra dev time they finna tack on to that ho when this drops and crushes the buildings.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

I actually made my character a Teifling, first time i ever chose a non-human race and it wasn’t because the black features weren’t bad i just thought it looked so dope, and i was still able to make it look like a black man, thats how in depth it is.