Starfield considered a success as 14 million players have over 40 hours of playtime

Instant Classic

All Star
Supporter
Daps
There probably won't be a Starfield 2 for at least 10 years. Their gonna make waaaaay too much money off this one to restart and lose money initially to do so within 5 years. They will build the in game universe inside this game for a good number of years.
Yeah, I am down for them adding yearly content to build the universe. Hyped for shattered space because it sounds promising

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
To me the thing that opposes the lore is the amount of POIs you come across vs the perceived population of the settled systems. Each landing area on a human inhabited world can be from what, 1 to like 8 POIs (a guesstimate). You could feasibly land hundreds of times on some planets and logically we should expect Sol, Alpha Centauri, and I guess Cheyenne to have the densest population centers with a progressive falloff the further you go. Grav Drives seem to be the most technologically advanced thing we have while everything else doesn't seem like that much more of an improvement over current day tech. It's gotta take a lot of manpower to build all these settlements and shyt that cover each planet, so why is the feeling so empty?

I can appreciate that the war between Freestar and the UC wiped a chunk of people out but there's thousands and thousands of deserted UC POIs alone, not to mention Ecliptic Garrisons and all the trivial POIs (does Freestar have any POI unique to them?). Was the war that devastating to humanity?

To me they messed up the population density gradient. Alpha Centauri should be knee deep in people, Sol should be right after that, and then by the time you get a couple hundred LY past Cheyenne it can be sparsely populated. These changes would have gone a long way to mitigating the emptiness people keep on complaining about.
Small little relay stations, a mining outposts, and mostly autonomous farms don't require that many people to set up or operate. I don't know what planet you live on, but in Starfield they have handheld laser and particles beam weapons, robots that are capable of farming and construction, the ability to control wildlife(xenowarfare), and they have 30 foot tall giant mechss. If that isn't an upgrade over present day tech I need to come to where you at and see what kind of technology you got.

They put the POI's there for you to explore, do you want them to make it even more realistic cause trust me I live in Texas, once you leave the major cities there isn't shyt to see or do for the most part for HUNDREDS of miles. That doesn't sound like it would translate well to a video game at all, and there are some worlds in this game that don't have any signs of previous human contact(Schroedinger 3 is one example) where there are no human POI's only natural ones. I think the population density is just fine to keep it interesting as a video game.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Realistically tho. You could land on earth a bunch of times right now and not see a person or a city.

Space is vast. Bethesda likes to make simulations, so they built the universe in a realistic way. Some of that doesn’t translate great to a video game, but i appreciate them for sticking with their vision.

It’s why their games keep going on forever, because the underlying simulation is the backbone that allows so much future evolution. Those “empty” planets will continue to be filled in time.
You could, but the main places where humanity is aren't so sparse. Even with the vastness of space, I feel Bethesda could have taken a little more steps to make the the immediate population centers feel like humans dug in and started to thrive.

I think of it this way, I spend half the time wiping out entire refimente of Spacers, Crimson Fleet, and Ecliptic. Those people didn't come from nowhere. Plus because of the sheer numbers, it feels like they outnumber just regular folk, and that lopsided feeling could be fixed with a different presentation.

The game does what it does fairly well and I don't think it needs DLC or mods to fill out the rest of the planets with content, so I've no expectation or desire for empty planets to change despite what I've been saying. Simply having more people around isn't going to change the typical experience, it would just be more lifeless dolls like walking through Night City.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
I dont like the twist in the story shytwas such bullshyt i lost interest when it was spoiled...:beli: like i did all that for nothing...

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
There will be new downloaded expansions every year as the game will continue to be a part of Bethesda future.

The last update about 6 months ago had it at 13 million players. In September of 2023 it was 10 million. So in 9 months it grew 4 million players and 1 of the 4 was in the last 6 months. Sounds like it peaked and the real growth is behind it.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
The last update about 6 months ago had it at 13 million players. In September of 2023 it was 10 million. So in 9 months it grew 4 million players and 1 of the 4 was in the last 6 months. Sounds like it peaked and the real growth is behind it.

They didn’t say how many players played the game they stated that over 14 million played over 40 hours.

Leasy

Let's add some Alizarin Crimson & Van Dyke Brown
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly (BYRD GANG)
You could, but the main places where humanity is aren't so sparse. Even with the vastness of space, I feel Bethesda could have taken a little more steps to make the the immediate population centers feel like humans dug in and started to thrive.

I think of it this way, I spend half the time wiping out entire refimente of Spacers, Crimson Fleet, and Ecliptic. Those people didn't come from nowhere. Plus because of the sheer numbers, it feels like they outnumber just regular folk, and that lopsided feeling could be fixed with a different presentation.

The game does what it does fairly well and I don't think it needs DLC or mods to fill out the rest of the planets with content, so I've no expectation or desire for empty planets to change despite what I've been saying. Simply having more people around isn't going to change the typical experience, it would just be more lifeless dolls like walking through Night City.

They are obviously adding more to the game as dlc. Why densely populated areas where you are expanding with huge updates yearly. The next expansion will be on one planet.

They have a plan.

Daps
Reppin
Green
Yeah, I am down for them adding yearly content to build the universe. Hyped for shattered space because it sounds promising
Just move on. 😪 Starfield is bad at the elevator pitch level. There’s nothing to fix. Get TES VI out. Between 2006 and 2011 they released Oblivion, Fallout 3 and Skyrim. Get the hit factory running again Todd. I played 20+ hours and bailed, game is quite boring. Fans of this game are particularly sensitive to criticism.

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I enjoyed the game, but it doesn't make much sense for this world to not be that advanced and be able to travel across multiple solar systems. I've never felt technology in the game was that far advanced for that. Maybe, I'm looking at things from the lens of other piece of sci-fi, but technology wise I didn't feel the Starfield was that advanced yet. Maybe I am missing something in regards to that, but I feel in order to travel across solar systems you have to be very advanced in science and tech and I didn't really feel that with Starfield . Again, I could be missing something in regards to that
There is literally a character and mission in the game that explains this.

There is also a completely different mission where you get to meet the crew from one of the first ships that get sent out to space and they also explain to you why technology is behind even though human can travel light years to different planets.

This is a typical Bethesda game where if all you do are the main quest and the faction quest you are going to miss like half the lore of the game.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
They are obviously adding more to the game as dlc. Why densely populated areas where you are expanding with huge updates yearly. The next expansion will be on one planet.

They have a plan.
I know they have a plan. I can still critique the approach as far as it applies to the base game.

cyndaquil

Lv 100 Bold natured
Daps
Reppin
JOHTO REGION
Anyone who quit on Starfield before mods came out is a dumbass

I guarantee you once enough time passes and all the DLC/updates drop that those same ppl will turn around and love it like Cyberpunk and NMS
:mjlol: cope

First of all if your game relies on mods to be good then it's not good. Second cyberpunk and nms both had to be fixed and basically come as v 2.0.
How are people dumbasses for expecting a good base game on release?
They even pushed the release date back for starfield to make it more polished. Their idea for the game was ass and they saw fan feedback so they are gonna pivot into damage control mode with dlc and updates.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
:mjlol: cope

First of all if your game relies on mods to be good then it's not good. Second cyberpunk and nms both had to be fixed and basically come as v 2.0.
How are people dumbasses for expecting a good base game on release?
They even pushed the release date back for starfield to make it more polished. Their idea for the game was ass and they saw fan feedback so they are gonna pivot into damage control mode with dlc and updates.
The game was better and more complete/polished than both of those games at launch.

To say the game will get better with time, is not to say the game was bad/incomplete at launch.