Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They transition from Han's death to Kylo being defeated by Rey could have been handled much better.

JJ dropped the ball on that.

As time passes that will be something that people look back on and say

It could have been done better :manny::francis:

That was suppose to be a major moment and didn't resonate like it should have.

The fight afterwards was a mix of :ehh: and :ld:

still not sure what happend after that last fight i was so :francis: i barely paid attention to rey going to meet luke. shyt was an anti climax for me just cause of what preceeded it.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
It's pretty clear that the universe would be a better place if the whole skywalkers family didn't exist. They are an evil scourge on the universe. A plague created by Darth Plaguies that will always create an imbalance in the universe

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
We'll see more of Poe in the next one.

Lets not do this to ourselves again though brehs. There was a large segment of us @Rainman that had hopes Fin was going to be the lead Jedi....now we're saying well he's the next Han...

Nah. Thats not going to be it imo. Finn is just going to be his own thing and lets hope as that character becomes stronger he becomes better.

imho

Just how I think it's laid out right now. I personally think he's gonna end up a Jedi.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
also, star wars family dynamics is some jerry springer shyt. everyone related to everyone. everyone fukking and abandoning their kids. we have abandoned kids, cousins kissing etc. wont be surprised if finn is han solo or lukes son from an interracial afffair or some shyt.:heh:
:mjlol:

Han did have a black chick before though :patrice::ohhh:
sana.png

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
But YOU have that expectation...the Jedi are not the only heroes in star wars. Han solo is as or MORE respected by fans and by the characters of sw, and thats who Finn is. you have a false expectation that he was a Jedi and whatnot, but that's not who he is. star wars is the story of the Skywalker's...finn is not a Skywalker...its as simple as that.
People are going to learn that force users aren't the end all be all in the star wars universe. Highly skilled warriors can take Jedi out, you don't have to be a force user to still be a badass in the star wars universe

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah, we see glimpses of Rey's potential when she mind-tricked that storm trooper by getting her free and grabbed Luke's saber from the distance over Kylo. We saw how powerful she could really be.

What he DIDNT see was Finn's potential. He was just a mockery in itself. Nothing about him being force-sensitive, no redeeming qualities about him, nothing about him WILLING to learn ANYTHING. We all know that Obi-Wan would take Luke under his wing and train him to be a force to be reckon with. He would ultimately defeat the "ultimate evil" within the movies. We didn't see that with Finn at all. Not even when Omar Issac's character was introduced and he would've been the next Obi-Wan and Finn as the next Luke. BUt It's obvious that they are making Rey be the next Luke and defeat the ultimate evil and have Finn as the sidekick.

This is why the racist bloggers and fans weren't as angry as they were BEFORE the movie came out. They were so afraid that humanity's fate would rest with a strong black male in the future. They were SO relieved when he turned out to be just a joke character and a racist caricature in itself. I didn't trust JJ Abram's handling of black male characters at all. Only with Philip Broyles did we see it, but his movies were atrocious in that regard.

yep. i would have zero problem with rey being a mary sue if they gave fin some damn dignity. but her badassness always made dude look weak since they spend so much time together. for her to be badass he has to look lame.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
As I've said before..

it would have added to his character if he actually was involved with killing people before. If he was truly a bad guy (or at least bred that way) and had the mindset to change.

And naw I don't see him as Solo. Thats Poe.
How is Poe Han? Poe was supposed to be killed off in this movie in the original draft. Poe is wedge. Finn is essentially a gun slinger comic relief character like Han

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Saw this and found it interesting.

He was shot in the abdomen...that's why he was pounding his lower rib cage. :what: And was bleeding.

Minor wound or not a shot to the abdomen severely limits mobility in terms of fighting. That's part of why boxers go to the body in long fights in addition to tiring the opponent.

So that rebuttal is irrelevant.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
He was shot in the abdomen...that's why he was pounding his lower rib cage. :what: And was bleeding.

Minor wound or not a shot to the abdomen severely limits mobility in terms of fighting. That's part of why boxers go to the body in long fights in addition to tiring the opponent.

It wasn't even a minor wound breh got shot by a fukkin bowcaster, a very powerful rifle

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
You were unsullied?

Most definitely. I watched what I couldn't avoid I guess but I didn't read interviews, didn't look at pictures, didn't read spoilers, did my best to not know a damn thing other than the main characters and that it took place 30 years after Jedi. And the trailers I did see didn't tell me a damn thing

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
How is Poe Han? Poe was supposed to be killed off in this movie in the original draft. Poe is wedge. Finn is essentially a gun slinger comic relief character like Han

Han was always sure of himself and in control. He oozed confidence. Didn't give a damn about shooting first and had a sketchy past. That extra layer added to him.

I think they limited Fin by making him the "first storm trooper to not want kill anybody". Its too clean, its too neat. Make him battle tested and then change his mind adds more to him. Instead he was a guy who in his first battle just wanted to run (which is ok, but could have been more.)

So when he decided NOT to run and face Kylo Ren knowing that he's got no shot it means more for him and the audience.

Kylo, despite my thoughts on that final battle, has the most depth to him imo. It would have been cool seeing Kylo who is in the dark, but fights the light. Then we have Fin who has practically been brought up in the *dark* so to speak, killing people etc, now deciding to embrace the light. Embrace doing the right things to make up for the wrong things he did.

Kylo killed Han to truly join the dark side.
Fin fighting Kylo could have been his moment to embrace the goodness/being a hero.

I'm not saying anything was BAD. Just could have been better imo.

All in all, if he is indeed Han. Great.

If he's not, but still a strong character. Great.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

Lot of theories about what "pounding the wound" meant as well on reddit.

Kylo could be seen beating his wound to utilize his pain and tap into the dark side of the force.
Rather than his perpetual state of pain handicapping him, it fuelled his rage, allowing him advanced control of the Dark Side of the Force. The same used to be true of Darth Vader back in the day. It's a special case of Force Rage:

Hurt or not. I just think would have been better if Rey didn't show off much at the end against him. :yeshrug:

If she had help from Finn and they just barely escaped.

Agree to disagree breh.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Lot of theories about what "pounding the wound" meant as well on reddit.

Hurt or not. I just think would have been better if Rey didn't show off much at the end against him. :yeshrug:

If she had help from Finn and they just barely escaped.

Agree to disagree breh.

We can agree to disagree sure. But you could see the look on his face and tell he wasn't 100% "force rage" or not.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Han was always sure of himself and in control. He oozed confidence. Didn't give a damn about shooting first and had a sketchy past. That extra layer added to him.

I think they limited Fin by making him the "first storm trooper to not want kill anybody". Its too clean, its too neat. Make him battle tested and then change his mind adds more to him. Instead he was a guy who in his first battle just wanted to run (which is ok, but could have been more.)

So when he decided NOT to run and face Kylo Ren knowing that he's got no shot it means more for him and the audience.

Kylo, despite my thoughts on that final battle, has the most depth to him imo. It would have been cool seeing Kylo who is in the dark, but fights the light. Then we have Fin who has practically been brought up in the *dark* so to speak, killing people etc, now deciding to embrace the light. Embrace doing the right things to make up for the wrong things he did.

Kylo killed Han to truly join the dark side.
Fin fighting Kylo could have been his moment to embrace the goodness/being a hero.

I'm not saying anything was BAD. Just could have been better imo.

All in all, if he is indeed Han. Great.

If he's not, but still a strong character. Great.
I mean I agree with most of what you said but obviously they're two different characters but I feel like Finn will be much more confident and battle tested in the next film. I'm also curious to know why his "programming" failed and how he came to his moral senses. There is no way it was a coincidence that he had a moment if clarity when poe needed help

SHO-NUFF

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOMETHIN REAL FO YO ASS IN THESE HANDS!!!!
In Ren's story arc,with an event as large as him killing his father, there should have been more time dedicated to making us care more for why he chose to do that.
Some more backstory, some more 1 on 1 time with Snoke, something.......

they could have made us sympathize with the character, or at best, make us the viewers, also be torn on what decision he should make (light or dark)

They successfully did this with the anakin to vader plotline, but they dropped the ball here.

I just didn't care or understand why the dark side won out in his internal struggle
This was my only reaction to Ren throughout the movie:

i1Ok6qN.gif