Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Pacing was too quick. Villain was bad in the Star Wars sense. Characters not fleshed out as well as I had hoped.

One thing Lucas got right was storytelling and it wasn't so much here. Also NO SCREENWIPES?! :angry:

But the movie is still really really good.

EDIT: Also people shouldn't be posting up crazy theories so much yet. It's easily implied that Ben and Rey are possibly related. The whole movie is fan service and you can tell that pretty easily too. The character paths seem pretty straightforward now.

I've seen people come up with crazy stuff about Luke and why he's where he is at. Luke fled just as Yoda fled when he failed with Palpatine: out of shame and guilt. Both hid on planets with low amounts of life so be under the radar. You know force users can "scan" for life and power. I doubt he's out doing anything major in a story arc sense. The Jedi Temple idea fits but I don't think that is why he's there nor for anything else like a grave site or mediation. People kind of think too much into ti and taking the whole movie into account (as fan service) I think it makes the most sense.

Rey's quick adaptation to the force is based on her own bookworming and hobbies. She lives in an Imperial Walker, keeps a little Rebel pilot doll, even wears the helmet. She knows about Han, Luke, the force, she isn't totally new. So when Han reveals it's all legit, she isn't skeptical, and the light saber scene seals it that it's completely real and she tried it out during her interrogation. Her quick adaptation was simply prior knowledge and conformations and simply willing to give it a try. Is that all it takes? Obviously not, but she is ahead of the game so to speak. I know some ppl were spazzing on how she was adept early on but that explains it. People gotta pay attention more to the movie sorry to say.

Ren still has a lot of good in him. You can tell because his face isn't jacked up yet. But I think killing Han was the full committal. Snoke even says in the end "we can complete his training". Being power hungry isn't enough of a reason (considering he is obsessed with being as strong as Vader) but now that he's got a crushed ego and battle scars he can harbor more resentment.

Fin's character is the most interesting as he lines up with Old Han more being a lying escapist. (even down to the jacket! details men) It's implied that he is Force sourced so I don't know where they're taking him. It made the most sense to be Han 2.0 but Rey has the Falcon and Chewbacca thundercock (:scust:) so I personally think he's going to be the secondary Jedi role. Most (all?) movies have had two Jedi roles so I think that's where he will be.

There were plenty of screen wipes, they just transitioned much faster than they did in the OT.

Agrees with his entire premise. She was just too perfect while Finn was just a aweful character overall. Nothing was bad ass or masculine about him at all and that was the point. The lead male and female had NO on screen chemistry at all, while Abrams had Spock and Uhura slobbering down each other throats but that was the point. Luke was a fukk-up in the first movies as well BUT he redeems himself at the end by destroying the Desth Star. Abrams COULD have had Finn defeat Kylo or HELP defeat Kylo when she was in need but noooo he didnt want to have the black sambo character have ANY redeeming qualitites AND THAT WAS THE POINT. :scusthov:

I disagree there, unless the only chemistry you recognize is overt romance. You could tell that Rey damn near considered Finn her best friend for most of the movie and Finn was for sure crushing on her. She was just about crying when she found out it was his idea to come try and save her. Finn held his own for a while against Kylo while Rey was knocked out (he even got a few hits in) so i dont see how you could think he did nothing. There has to be something to the fact that he was the first Trooper to resist their brainwashing and break out of TFO. He was easily the best actor in the movie and his comedy was not forced c00nery, it flowed well within the movie. I think some people are still just mad that they fell for the red herring that he was the main jedi.

Last edited:

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
Maybe that explains it best but it's still not a good explanation, you know what I mean? Just knowing that something called the force may exists shouldn't be enough to make you not need training to use it IMO

I totally agree. I find that she had it TOO easy but really again I think the best possible explanation is her background looking into it.

Unless I missed something I can't see anything else. :ld:

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
One thing I'll say I still don't get is why does Kylo fight from the light side so much? In all the Star Wars lore ive watched or read it's the complete opposite. You start off light and the dark side tempts you. Or the few times they start off dark side as soon as the light starts to get you its over. Kylo what's to "finish what Vader started" but doesn't he know Vader didbt even want to finish what Vader started:heh:. What really motivates him? We ko me
that's Today's generation/millennium babies3s for you breh.

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Kylo will be kicking ass and taking names once Snoke completes his training. He also wasn't fully darkside until he killed Han hence the light that was shining on them in that moment faded with the sun. It was to symbolize that there wouldn't be a redemption for him and he would fully accept the path of the darkside. Rey force abilities are clearly higher than normal and she may very well have had some type of training before her mind was wiped. I do think Luke is her father until proven otherwise and Fin is also force sensitive. From the moment Kylo was grilling him in the very beginning he seemed to sense something about him. Then this guy wields a light saber with no prior knowledge of knowing how to do so and hold his own and Ren. All 3 characters stories are just getting started though so let them cook for the rest of thr trilogy then see where the story stands. I do hope for more Po,Fin,BB8 scenes though I enjoyed the chemistry and the creators did a damn good job in the animatronic of bb8 giving it emotions without actually having a face.

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
thought it was only a bit above average. better than the prequels overall. kylo was pretty cool but a bit sissy-fied for my liking. ill give lucas this, the lightsaber fight scenes were way better in his films.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
JJ could have saved all three characters by doing this.

Have Kylo be a badass, but let us get GLIMPSES of Rey's potential.

The glimpses would have truly given him the "oh shyt" moment that it deserved. Finn could have still got fukked up, but did so while helping her defeat him together.

In fact..they didn't even need to defeat him. Just do well enough to get him off of them. No reason for Ren to be dominated at the end.

I don't care if Rey was the LeBron James of Jedi prospects. shyt would be like if LeBron in 03 sonned Vince Carter. Potential to better? Absolutely. Can be enough of a threat right now? Sure. Is the better opponent overly emotional....yes .:skip: But dominated at the end? Nah. Shouldn't happen.

For people saying well he just killed his pops. To me that scene wasn't handled well enough to truly *feel* that. Also you could make the argument that killing Han is what *freed* him and made him more evil.

Nah, we see glimpses of Rey's potential when she mind-tricked that storm trooper by getting her free and grabbed Luke's saber from the distance over Kylo. We saw how powerful she could really be.

What we DIDNT see was Finn's potential. He was just a mockery in itself. Nothing about him being force-sensitive, no redeeming qualities about him, nothing about him WILLING to learn ANYTHING. We all know that Obi-Wan would take Luke under his wing and train him to be a force to be reckon with. He would ultimately defeat the "ultimate evil" within the movies. We didn't see that with Finn at all. Not even when Omar Issac's character was introduced and he would've been the next Obi-Wan and Finn as the next Luke. BUt It's obvious that they are making Rey be the next Luke and defeat the ultimate evil and have Finn as the sidekick.

This is why the racist bloggers and fans weren't as angry as they were BEFORE the movie came out. They were so afraid that humanity's fate would rest with a strong black male in the future. They were SO relieved when he turned out to be just a joke character and a racist caricature in itself. I didn't trust JJ Abram's handling of black male characters at all. Only with Philip Broyles did we see it, but his movies were atrocious in that regard.

Last edited:

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO
thought it was only a bit above average. better than the prequels overall. kylo was pretty cool but a bit sissy-fied for my liking. ill give lucas this, the lightsaber fight scenes were way better in his films.
But Lucas wasnt involved in the film. :skip:

But it was better then the prequals but thats not saying much. :francis:

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
What he DIDNT see was Finn's potential. He was just a mockery in itself. Nothing about him being force-sensitive, no redeeming qualities about him, nothing about him WILLING to learn ANYTHING.

:what: Fin's character isn't some pseudo racial mockery. He's a Stormtrooper born and bred for murder. There's no way this early on he is realizing that he could be a Jedi. Nothing has happened to lead that on besides the use of the lightsaber. Rey at least had the saber scene and her resistance to Ren (alongside reading his mind) to pave the way.

I said it before Fin fits at new Solo CURRENTLY but there's no other Jedi capable character to fill in the secondary role unless a new person is introduced in 8.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
What he DIDNT see was Finn's potential. He was just a mockery in itself. Nothing about him being force-sensitive, no redeeming qualities about him, nothing about him WILLING to learn ANYTHING.
But YOU have that expectation...the Jedi are not the only heroes in star wars. Han solo is as or MORE respected by fans and by the characters of sw, and thats who Finn is. you have a false expectation that he was a Jedi and whatnot, but that's not who he is. star wars is the story of the Skywalker's...finn is not a Skywalker...its as simple as that.

Last edited:

Atsym Sknyfs

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
He never stated that nor was it mentioned at any point. All he said was that he was kidnapped when he was little, and basically was raised under the 1st Order. That he previously was assigned at sanitation until called upon to be a storm trooper and went AWOL after his first time seeing combat. Ain't NOTHING anywhere saying he was brainwashed. He may have been conditioned to that way of life, but that's real life for any individual today.

Y'all try to read into things way too much, when it was just a low ranked soldier that got shell shocked seeing war for the 1st time and wanted to go AWOL. Nothing more. Happens all the time in the military.

All of the storm troopers are regular people. When they first started like all companies the first order probably couldn't afford to buy a clone army so they used start up capital to simply kidnap kids and recondition them. They probably can afford to by a clone army now but they would probably mean people would lose their jobs or get demoted. A lot of storm troopers probably fight out of the need to belong while others fight out of fear

They take the troopers from their families when they're babies/toddlers and start training them. Kylo and others were actually looking at Finn profile and there was a baby

Like I said earlier.. watch Star Wars Rebels s1 ep 4: breaking Ranks to understand the stormtrooper brain washing,..

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I seriously love how a good half of people posting about Rey in here seem to forget that Kylo was straight up fighting with a fukking hole in his abdomen. And not just any hole, he was shot with what we have been shown as one of the strongest blasters in the story. The shyt was blowing stormtroopers off their feet, and it barely slumped Kylo.

Then he proceeds to fight one physically adept (possibly force sensitive) dude and basically a Force Savant.

But Rey is a girl so :ufdup: JJ...:russ: people in this bytch talking like this was mediclorians or any of the absurd bullshyt that Kid Anakin did in Epi 1.

FOH.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
:what: Fin's character isn't some pseudo racial mockery. He's a Stormtrooper born and bred for murder. There's no way this early on he is realizing that he could be a Jedi. Nothing has happened to lead that on besides the use of the lightsaber. Rey at least had the saber scene and her resistance to Ren (alongside reading his mind) to pave the way.

I said it before Fin fits at new Solo CURRENTLY but there's no other Jedi capable character to fill in the secondary role unless a new person is introduced in 8.
The fact that he held his own vs the son of leia and grandson and disciple of snoak and Vader shows natural bravery and heroism. He knew he had no fukkin chance and did NOT run.