Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
On the subject of Han too, people were complaining about his death. Han is smart, wouldn't be so easily tricked into something like that, etc etc. But who did he die at the hands of? His son. His son is a product of who? Han and Leia. Who did Han only have a soft spot for in the movies? LEIA! Obvious sense that his guard was down.

shyt writes itself.

Rapmastermind

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
New York City
My little brother asked after the Movie if Kylo was seeing Darth Maul. I told him No because Kylo is still trainning and Maul was a full Sith Apprintience by the time we see him in "Menace". Maul would definitely eat Kylo's lunch in a battle. He would of killed Finn and Rey as well, lol. One thing I loved about the Prequels was we saw the Jedi and Sith in their PRIME. Kylo is basically still a rookie but he has Anakin's blood running through him and was trainned by Luke at an early age and he's obvioulsy naturally gifted in the force. Rey is basically even less than a Rookie but again that Anakin blood is powerful.

200.gif

Kylo_Ren.0.gif

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Pacing was too quick. Villain was bad in the Star Wars sense. Characters not fleshed out as well as I had hoped.

One thing Lucas got right was storytelling and it wasn't so much here. Also NO SCREENWIPES?! :angry:

But the movie is still really really good.

EDIT: Also people shouldn't be posting up crazy theories so much yet. It's easily implied that Ben and Rey are possibly related. The whole movie is fan service and you can tell that pretty easily too. The character paths seem pretty straightforward now.

I've seen people come up with crazy stuff about Luke and why he's where he is at. Luke fled just as Yoda fled when he failed with Palpatine: out of shame and guilt. Both hid on planets with low amounts of life so be under the radar. You know force users can "scan" for life and power. I doubt he's out doing anything major in a story arc sense. The Jedi Temple idea fits but I don't think that is why he's there nor for anything else like a grave site or mediation. People kind of think too much into ti and taking the whole movie into account (as fan service) I think it makes the most sense.

Rey's quick adaptation to the force is based on her own bookworming and hobbies. She lives in an Imperial Walker, keeps a little Rebel pilot doll, even wears the helmet. She knows about Han, Luke, the force, she isn't totally new. So when Han reveals it's all legit, she isn't skeptical, and the light saber scene seals it that it's completely real and she tried it out during her interrogation. Her quick adaptation was simply prior knowledge and conformations and simply willing to give it a try. Is that all it takes? Obviously not, but she is ahead of the game so to speak. I know some ppl were spazzing on how she was adept early on but that explains it. People gotta pay attention more to the movie sorry to say.

Ren still has a lot of good in him. You can tell because his face isn't jacked up yet. But I think killing Han was the full committal. Snoke even says in the end "we can complete his training". Being power hungry isn't enough of a reason (considering he is obsessed with being as strong as Vader) but now that he's got a crushed ego and battle scars he can harbor more resentment.

Fin's character is the most interesting as he lines up with Old Han more being a lying escapist. (even down to the jacket! details men) It's implied that he is Force sourced so I don't know where they're taking him. It made the most sense to be Han 2.0 but Rey has the Falcon and Chewbacca thundercock (:scust:) so I personally think he's going to be the secondary Jedi role. Most (all?) movies have had two Jedi roles so I think that's where he will be.
I have to disagree with the bolded. I don't see how any of that explains Rey. I don't think people's reaction to Rey is lack of paying attention at all. That explanation may satisfy you but I doubt most people who see that as a valid reason why she should be so in touch with the force so quickly

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
I have to disagree with the bolded. I don't see how any of that explains Rey. I don't think people's reaction to Rey is lack of paying attention at all. That explanation may satisfy you but I doubt most people who see that as a valid reason why she should be so in touch with the force so quickly

Given clues in the movie that is what explains it best. I can't think of anything else. The gear, the research, her attitude and skepticism of it all. I don't see anything else in the movie explaining her quick adoption and it would not make sense to have it so. OK, sure, she is one with the force duh, but explaining how she got the jump quickly I think it makes sense. Remember Luke was all huh, the force, que??? but Rey KNOWS about the Force already. Stuff of legend.

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
One thing I'll say I still don't get is why does Kylo fight from the light side so much? In all the Star Wars lore ive watched or read it's the complete opposite. You start off light and the dark side tempts you. Or the few times they start off dark side as soon as the light starts to get you its over. Kylo what's to "finish what Vader started" but doesn't he know Vader didbt even want to finish what Vader started:heh:. What really motivates him? We know why Anakin turned to the dark side. Pad me. His visions. His mother dying etc. At this point the reason we have for Kylo turning is basically because he wants to be Vader. I don't see that sense in that unless it's just not well documented at all that Vader came back to the light. His motivation to want to be on the dark side so bad doesn't really make sense to me

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Given clues in the movie that is what explains it best. I can't think of anything else. The gear, the research, her attitude and skepticism of it all. I don't see anything else in the movie explaining her quick adoption and it would not make sense to have it so. OK, sure, she is one with the force duh, but explaining how she got the jump quickly I think it makes sense. Remember Luke was all huh, the force, que??? but Rey KNOWS about the Force already. Stuff of legend.
Maybe that explains it best but it's still not a good explanation, you know what I mean? Just knowing that something called the force may exists shouldn't be enough to make you not need training to use it IMO

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
I loved that they went into a new direction with the villain.

We had the ultimate goon in Maul, the elegant villain with Dooku, the robot with Grievous, and then Vader was a mix of Dooku/Maul/Grievous (prequels don't get enough credit for how they built that up). Palpatine is the devil of course.

Kylo's a psycho, he's basically like Anakin when he slaughtered the Tuskens - except Anakin snapped out of it, and later made a conscious decision to go :demonic:. Kylo seems to be stuck in that moment of giving into pure hatred while knowing you could/should be a good guy.

Benjamin Sisko

Still that resident truth-bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO

Force Awakens stans killing this dude on twitter for articulating the problems with Rey. he is a screenwriter so he has some credibility.

just found out this dude father is the great John Landis.

Agrees with his entire premise. She was just too perfect while Finn was just a aweful character overall. Nothing was bad ass or masculine about him at all and that was the point. The lead male and female had NO on screen chemistry at all, while Abrams had Spock and Uhura slobbering down each other throats but that was the point. Luke was a fukk-up in the first movies as well BUT he redeems himself at the end by destroying the Desth Star. Abrams COULD have had Finn defeat Kylo or HELP defeat Kylo when she was in need but noooo he didnt want to have the black sambo character have ANY redeeming qualitites AND THAT WAS THE POINT. :scusthov:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
They transition from Han's death to Kylo being defeated by Rey could have been handled much better.

JJ dropped the ball on that.

As time passes that will be something that people look back on and say

It could have been done better :manny::francis:

That was suppose to be a major moment and didn't resonate like it should have.

The fight afterwards was a mix of :ehh: and :ld:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
But they didn't. They constantly reminded the audience that he wasn't Vader. Hux talked to him like he was a rookie. Even Snoke said he wasn't ready a few times. The temper tantrums proved he's immature. He's been killing innocent villagers and nobodies all this time. Chewy damaged him, Finn slowed him down, and Rey took advantage of him trying to convert rather than kill her. He got tested and caught an L. Next time they meet up he'll give Rey that work.

Based on what?:what:, so now Rey suddenly isn't going to be trained by Luke?, fact is, they pigeonholed themselves here with the sloppy writing and desperation to give the female character the big moment in the first installment.

Also Kylo's characterisation is irrelevant, the character was put in the Vader/Dooku role and was presented to the audience as powerful and unstoppable against everything regardless until the climax, he should not have lost on what the movie presented earlier (Powers, destroying a Jedi academy, being trained by Luke and Snoke) and if he's going to be the main recurring physical big bad. He got completely beat down, scarred and saved by mountains falling apart, come on shyt is indefensible and a major fukk up. Vader had Luke dead to rights in the first two films.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Agrees with his entire premise. She was just too perfect while Finn was just a aweful character overall. Nothing was bad ass or masculine about him at all and that was the point. The lead male and female had NO on screen chemistry at all, while Abrams had Spock and Uhura slobbering down each other throats but that was the point. Luke was a fukk-up in the first movies as well BUT he redeems himself at the end by destroying the Desth Star. Abrams COULD have had Finn defeat Kylo or HELP defeat Kylo when she was in need but noooo he didnt want to have the black sambo character have ANY redeeming qualitites AND THAT WAS THE POINT. :scusthov:

JJ could have saved all three characters by doing this.

Have Kylo be a badass, but let us get GLIMPSES of Rey's potential.

The glimpses would have truly given him the "oh shyt" moment that it deserved. Finn could have still got fukked up, but did so while helping her defeat him together.

In fact..they didn't even need to defeat him. Just do well enough to get him off of them. No reason for Ren to be dominated at the end.

I don't care if Rey was the LeBron James of Jedi prospects. shyt would be like if LeBron in 03 sonned Vince Carter. Potential to better? Absolutely. Can be enough of a threat right now? Sure. Is the better opponent overly emotional....yes .:skip: But dominated at the end? Nah. Shouldn't happen.

For people saying well he just killed his pops. To me that scene wasn't handled well enough to truly *feel* that. Also you could make the argument that killing Han is what *freed* him and made him more evil.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
JJ could have saved all three characters by doing this.

Have Kylo be a badass, but let us get GLIMPSES of Rey's potential.

The glimpses would have truly given him the "oh shyt" moment that it deserved. Finn could have still got fukked up, but did so while helping her defeat him together.

In fact..they didn't even need to defeat him. Just do well enough to get him off of them. No reason for Ren to be dominated at the end.

I don't care if Rey was the LeBron James of Jedi prospects. shyt would be like if LeBron in 03 sonned Vince Carter. Potential to better? Absolutely. Can be enough of a threat right now? Sure. Is the better opponent overly emotional....yes .:skip: But dominated at the end? Nah. Shouldn't happen.

For people saying well he just killed his pops. To me that scene wasn't handled well enough to truly *feel* that. Also you could make the argument that killing Han is what *freed* him and made him more evil.
He didn't get dominated. He was severely injured while fighting and Rey held him off long enough to get away