Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
I think the biggest problem with the movie in the timelapse from ROTJ to this is a small explanation on why the First Order is as powerful as it is. Like I understand the Empire was so widespread throughout the galaxy that they didn't just all lay down after ROTJ but this definitely felt like the status quo hadn't changed at all, and the balance should've been more favorable to the Republic/Resistance, at least until the destruction of the Republic by Starkiller Base.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
It's clearly explained in the movie.

Rather than using Clone Armies, The First Order (which is led by General Hux, not Kylo Ren) uses Stormtroopers who were kidnapped as children and indoctrinated to work for them as drones (similar to Hitlerjugend). Finn explicitly states that he worked at sanitation at Starkiller Base (like you said, assigned duty at their "boot camp") before being moved to the combat unit led by Captain Phasma. The attack on Jukka in the opening of the movie is the first time Finn steps into an actual combat situation, and marks the moment he decides to escape from The First Order.
Yea, i'm not sure what the confusion is here.

Finn's whole backstory (or what was revealed to us) lets us know that even though he started off as "one of the bad guys" he's far from it (hands never really got "dirty") and was more so a victim in all this.

Hi!

Bushes Hall Of Famer
Daps
Reppin
Bloomington
Another breh from theforce.net on why he thinks Snoke is Plagueis

Why I think Snoke is Darth Plagueis:
  • He bares very similar resemblance to Darth Plagueis' Muun species
  • Snoke appears to have an injury to his mandible and around the lower jaw region, similar to Darth Plagueis after his attempted assassination in the EU
  • Rey's staff appears to be almost identical to Darth Plagueis' lightsaber staff, the staff also appears too frequently and I am certain will have significance later on
  • The big one: the background theme music is the same as when Darth Sidious was telling Anakin Skywalker the tale of 'Darth Plagueis the wise'
  • Perhaps Darth Plagueis did learn to defeat death and lived in secrecy. With all his wisdom, he may have foretold the empires downfall and when to finally reveal himself
  • I believe Snoke was confirmed to be 7 foot tall in reality, which is in keeping with the height of the Muun species
  • Another big clue: Plagueis seduced a young Palpatine to the dark side when he manipulated him to kill his father. After Kylo Ren killed his father, Snoke mentioned that it's time to complete his training. This could be reference to Snoke transforming Ren into a Sith, if he is indeed Darth Plagueis. :emperor:

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
BTW, I'm not sure you can catch it without subtitles because of the music and other sound effects but there's a background dialogue after Rey has escaped from her cell and climbs down that chasm at the base between two Stormtroopers that had me dying.

One Stormtrooper says 'So we finally got those new T-17's, I heard they've made some real improvements' to which the other Stormtrooper replies 'Eh, they're really not all that they've shaped up to be'. :deadmanny:

Also, the Stormtrooper that Rey uses her jedi mind trick on to get herself released is supposed to be the reported Daniel Craig cameo. :ohhh:

Trapperman Dave

Basil Fawty 
Daps
Reppin
Gamers World Wide
People seem to forget Finn was a Stormtrooper who defected... I dont expect him to be a full jedi.. HELL in the trailer you can see the fear in his face when he's holding the lightsabre...

He's all over the place until he finds his direction... He was mind programmed by the empire... he defects... meets jedi and stuff... hears the stories are real .. but does he believe Han or his empire teachings.... Its natural he's conflicted... He should be good mid way ep 8... well after he wakes up anyway

And its obvious Rey is Han's other child/ Kylo's sister... They probably save that reveil for mid way ep 8 when Luke's training her and its not working... He'll call to Leia like your daughter isnt focused.. im gonna tell her the truth .. yadda ya ..
Idk kylo did make that remark tho

TheGodling

Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
lol @ it being supposedly "obvious" that Rey is some established character's daughter. You only think it's obvious because they built this whole movie after the OG trilogy, so there must be some big 'I am your father' reveal, right? But let's ignore that we technically got that reveal already since they revealed Kylo Ren is Han and Leia's son.

They might still go for something like that but stop acting like there are tons of clues where there are none. All of them can be explained through other reasonings, the absolute closest clue we have is Luke's saber calling out to Rey, and even that might just be because as a toddler she was training under Luke until Ben Solo turned to the dark side so there's an existing "connection".

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol @ it being supposedly "obvious" that Rey is some established character's daughter. You only think it's obvious because they built this whole movie after the OG trilogy, so there must be some big 'I am your father' reveal, right? But let's ignore that we technically got that reveal already since they revealed Kylo Ren is Han and Leia's son.

They might still go for something like that but stop acting like there are tons of clues where there are none. All of them can be explained through other reasonings, the absolute closest clue we have is Luke's saber calling out to Rey, and even that might just be because as a toddler she was training under Luke until Ben Solo turned to the dark side so there's an existing "connection".
Yeah I don't think Rey is a skywalker I feel like Kylo and leia would of felt that

I AM WARHOL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The more I think about Finns character the more I have a problem with him. And it's got nothing to do with race or the fact that he's probably not gonna be a Jedi.

Finn is a storm trooper raised from infancy. At the very least 20 years of mental conditioning. Homie doesn't even have a name. Only knows what the first order has trained into him. A brain washed soldier. All of a sudden for the first time ever a storm trooper randomly gains a conscience about what they do. Deus ex machina IMO. That just doesn't happen. Not like that.

This is a supposed soldier who was raised to kill. Not only does he defect but has zero issues with killing his former allies. Dudes he legitimately grew up with. It goes from in the very beginning him being shook that his fellow storm trooper got murked next to him ( honestly looked like it could've been a friend of his) to killing storm troopers without batting an eye.

Another problem I have with Finn is his personality. For a storm trooper trained and conditioned from birth to kill he has a pretty plucky and fun personality. Just doesn't fit with the facts of what he is. This dude is someone who should be struggling with the idea of what fun or free will is. Not someone cracking jokes every scene. Unless I got the wrong impression of the first order, they don't seem like a group that foster an environment conducive to soldiers with fun loving personalities. The concept of being free should've even been ground breaking to him.

Honestly I like Finn. I thought he was funny and tried his best but when I consider he is a storm trooper who randomly defected nothing fits. His personality nor his actions fits that of a child raised to be a soldier by an evil space nazi like terror group. That's just my opinion :manny: