Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

Tha Gawd Amen

Mamba Mentality
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
He learned how to be a gunner in two different kinds of ships quickly , he was the one who had to explain to Rey aboit the monsters ,( Rey thinking she knew everything accidentally opened the doors for the monsters and not sealed the Pirates as she wanted ) it was Finns plan to release poison gas on Han , it was Finn who told the resistance how to take down starkiller , he formulated a plan to save Rey ( in a Han soloish bullshyt way ) he decided to stay and fight even after seeing the FO use the starkiller , he fought Kylo ren with a light saber to save Rey , he turned on the FO and saved Poe .
I agree with this, but the way he approached things, compared to other characters had some sort of nervousness. The thing is, I really didn't mind it, it just seemed weird compared to how Rey approached things. Like my review said a few pages ago said, Rey was almost toover perfect of a character which made Finn seem insignificant. I feel like if they gave Rey more of internal struggle, i.e. that remade Cantina scene I came up with a few pages ago, people wouldn't have that much of a gripe with him. I should've probably clarified that I have a lot more gripes with how great Rey was than how small people think Finn is.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
I agree with this, but the way he approached things, compared to other characters had some sort of nervousness. The thing is, I really didn't mind it, it just seemed weird compared to how Rey approached things. Like my review said a few pages ago said, Rey was almost toover perfect of a character which made Finn seem insignificant. I feel like if they gave Rey more of internal struggle, i.e. that remade Cantina scene I came up with a few pages ago, people wouldn't have that much of a gripe with him. I should've probably clarified that I have a lot more gripes with how great Rey was than how small people think Finn is.
I think this is where the real problems of the film lie. Hopefully what she really is will be explained in VIII and Finn gets a "download" of being a stronger and more debonaire like John is in real life as well. I can understand his fearfulness given the FO ruthlessly kills anyone in their way but Finn should be more self-assured now.

Last edited:

H.J.Duck

Superstar
Daps
@wire28 @Dr. Narcisse Any of these capers provided a solid reason on why Finn couldn't have been a boss and competent in his field from the jump like every other character/hero in the movie?

:mindblown: where do you come up with these ideas :mindblown:

other 'new' main characters:

Poe:
-gets captured and is forced to tell where the droid is... basically snitched

Rey:
-has problems with millenium falcon at first, despite calling herself a pilot
-lets the monsters out accidentally after not knowing shyt about em
-is scared to even touch the lightsaber again after she saw the visions and tries to run away (why people complaining about Finn are ignoring this?)
-got her ass whooped by Ren the first time they met

Kylo Ren
-confused as fukk, doesn't seem to know what he's doing or wants to do half the time
-emo
-questioned by his boss and Hux
-basically lost to someone who supposedly hadn't been in a lightsaber battle before

they all had flaws, I don't get this "Rey was perfect" talk at all either. She seemed stubborn/scared talking bout going back to Jakku and then trying to leave after she touched the lightsaber.

the Finn/Poe scenes were great, Finn/Rey scenes even better. Their scenes with Han Solo were probably the best though. Han talking to Rey in the Millenium Falcon and offering her a job after it and obviously Han, Chewie & Finn trying to save Rey.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
tumblr_nzvcfsbnsO1v29judo1_250.jpg
tumblr_nzvcfsbnsO1v29judo2_250.jpg

Who is down for this twist in ep. VIII?

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Let's change which one of characters was black, keep the story the same, and see how the critique would change :jbhmm:

Black Poe:
-goes to jail
-snitched
-saved by a white boy
-barely in the movie

Black Kylo:
-murderer
-angry
-can't control his rage
-pawn of the white man
-worships a dead white man
-subservient to Hux
-killed his daddy
-lost to a white girl

Black Rey
-slave
-parents abandoned her
-wasn't doing anything until that white boy Finn showed up and gave her purpose
-didn't know things Finn knew
-scared to carry a light saber
-natural athlete who picked up the force by instincts
-needs a white man to teach her how to use the force
-a black female lead emasculates/feminizes black boys who'll see the movie

These Tariq Nasheed types will find a good white supremacists angle in anything:lolbron:
Load of horseshyt. This is the worst type of strawman.

All of those characters actually get wins throughout the movie.

And most importantly, they all have valuable skillsets that are traditionally respected in the SW universe.

Finn is *maybe* good with a blaster (And even than, it's Han pulling off no-look killshots :ohlawd:)

Finn can't speak languages, can't fly, can fix shyt, no force powers.

Keep in mind, this doesn't even bring up the fact that most anti-Finns are just as mad about his characterization as they are his skillset. Dude is black comedy relief, period. And that was hidden from the trailers because they knew that it was horrible.

I would have been happy if Finn was a bad ass pilot. Would have been happy if he was a skilled dark side force user. Obviously would have been happy if he was a Mary Sue Skywalker.

Would some of those other characters have had problematic aspects to them if they were black? Maybe. I could see myself feeling a certain way if Boyega got as much screentime as Poe (But to be fair, Oscar Isaac was never marketed like that...his screentime was appropriate for his place on the heigharchy. Ridley/Boyega were ALWAYS the co-leads).

Finally, his character was used as a misdirection plot-device, and none of those other characters were.

H.J.Duck

Superstar
Daps
can we please go back talking about movie though, I don't think either "side" is gonna change their opinion at this point?

One thing I can personally say is that I wasn't sure about them casting Adam Driver.. He didn't seem like a villain "type" & he kinda looks too weird tbh :dead:

but considering how confused/awkward Ren was at times and what his backstory is/will be, I think he was a pretty good choice. He's basically acting sort of like Anakin would've acted if he hadn't been watched over by the Jedis & mentored by Palpatine. more uncontrolled, doesn't seem to know a lot of things and almost seems to be too "young" or inexperienced to be in his position. and all of this made him a good character (to me at least) & Driver did a good job imo.

I do think that he will be less confused in the next movie though.

tumblr_nzvcfsbnsO1v29judo1_250.jpg
tumblr_nzvcfsbnsO1v29judo2_250.jpg

Who is down for this twist in ep. VIII?

I don't see Kylo changing (anytime soon) after killing his father... which (Solo being alive) was basically one of the things holding him back from being fully committed to the dark side. We'll see how he feels about Leia though. And obviously losing to Ren... and he obviously wanted to get rid of Luke too. Will be interesting to see what's Snoke's/Ren's next big move. And will the next movie be more about Jedi vs. Sith... than First Order vs. Resistance

but if Luke doesn't want to come back or sort of ignores Rey... :patrice::jbhmm: or Rey finds out Luke is responsible of her being an orphan somehow.. who knows.

NERO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Commiefornia
I think that Kylo is irredeemable.

You don't get away with killing Han.
can we please go back talking about movie though, I don't think either "side" is gonna change their opinion at this point?

One thing I can personally say is that I wasn't sure about them casting Adam Driver.. He didn't seem like a villain "type" & he kinda looks too weird tbh :dead:

but considering how confused/awkward Ren was at times and what his backstory is/will be, I think he was a pretty good choice. He's basically acting sort of like Anakin would've acted if he hadn't been watched over by the Jedis & mentored by Palpatine. more uncontrolled, doesn't seem to know a lot of things and almost seems to be too "young" or inexperienced to be in his position. and all of this made him a good character (to me at least) & Driver did a good job imo.

I do think that he will be less confused in the next movie though.

I don't see Kylo changing (anytime soon) after killing his father... which (Solo being alive) was basically one of the things holding him back from being fully committed to the dark side. We'll see how he feels about Leia though. And obviously losing to Ren... and he obviously wanted to get rid of Luke too. Will be interesting to see what's Snoke's/Ren's next big move. And will the next movie be more about Jedi vs. Sith... than First Order vs. Resistance

but if Luke doesn't want to come back or sort of ignores Rey... :patrice::jbhmm: or Rey finds out Luke is responsible of her being an orphan somehow.. who knows.
Exactly.

people got the idea that Luke will suddenly come back and play the Yoda role in training Rey, fighting the FO and returning the Galaxy to a post ROTJ state. The look I got from Luke in the final scene was "Ok, you found me, but I am still not interested.You need to give me a reason not to kill you where you stand. I am done. If I Wanted to help the Resistance I would have joined already". Riffing on your idea, what if he don't wanna to play ball? Rey might have no one to train her so Snoke sends someone who will and that someone seduces her to the dark side. We know Finn is getting another love interest so what if some jealousy develops from Rey and Snoke uses that to manipulate her into joining him. Maybe she kills Finn's new love interest in a jealous rage setting up the third act.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think this is where the real problems of the film lie. Hopefully what she really is will be explained in VIII and Finn gets a "download" of being a stronger and more debonaire like John is in real life as well. I can understand his fearfulness given the FO ruthlessly kills anyone in their way but Finn should be more self-assured now.
Exactly ! Finn had every reason to run but he came back to fight . Let's see what he does in episode 8, but with his help taking down starkiller and friendship with Poe he's most likely gonna be a big deal in the resistance for real

Ghostface Trillah

God-level poster
Daps
Reppin
Mt. Olympus
:mindblown: where do you come up with these ideas :mindblown:

other 'new' main characters:

Poe:
-gets captured and is forced to tell where the droid is... basically snitched

Rey:
-has problems with millenium falcon at first, despite calling herself a pilot
-lets the monsters out accidentally after not knowing shyt about em
-is scared to even touch the lightsaber again after she saw the visions and tries to run away (why people complaining about Finn are ignoring this?)
-got her ass whooped by Ren the first time they met

Kylo Ren
-confused as fukk, doesn't seem to know what he's doing or wants to do half the time
-emo
-questioned by his boss and Hux
-basically lost to someone who supposedly hadn't been in a lightsaber battle before

they all had flaws, I don't get this "Rey was perfect" talk at all either. She seemed stubborn/scared talking bout going back to Jakku and then trying to leave after she touched the lightsaber.

the Finn/Poe scenes were great, Finn/Rey scenes even better. Their scenes with Han Solo were probably the best though. Han talking to Rey in the Millenium Falcon and offering her a job after it and obviously Han, Chewie & Finn trying to save Rey.

poe got his mind read by a sith - pretty much a sith mind trick. dude didnt intentionally just throw the info out to save himself. you moving the goalpost a bit

rey had problems with the falcon because she was fairly new to it, han came back to it and had problems too
let the monsters out to save han and chewbacca trying to save han from dying which it in turn did
no one is ignoring her running away from the lightsaber, we're actually using it to explain why her being the second coming of obi-wan 5 minutes later was ridiculous
she had to lose to move the story, she was out in the woods with a pistol he had a lightsaber and was at full force

it was stated that kylo was conflicted by kylo himself
hence him being emo,which in turn led to him being questioned by boss and coworker
no one can explain him losing that battle outside of him being wounded. that scene shouldve ended with the cliff seperating them but we all know Disney loves triumphant princess that they can milk for money out of young girls

The had flaws but they had skills. Finn had no skills at all. He was the ONLY person in the galaxy without one real skill. He had little tidbits of knowledge here and there but so did C-3PO.

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

And most importantly, they all have valuable skillsets that are traditionally respected in the SW universe.

Finn is *maybe* good with a blaster (And even than, it's Han pulling off no-look killshots :ohlawd:)

Keep in mind, this doesn't even bring up the fact that most anti-Finns are just as mad about his characterization as they are his skillset. Dude is black comedy relief, period. And that was hidden from the trailers because they knew that it was horrible.

I would have been happy if Finn was a bad ass pilot. Would have been happy if he was a skilled dark side force user. Obviously would have been happy if he was a Mary Sue Skywalker.

Would some of those other characters have had problematic aspects to them if they were black? Maybe. I could see myself feeling a certain way if Boyega got as much screentime as Poe (But to be fair, Oscar Isaac was never marketed like that...his screentime was appropriate for his place on the heigharchy. Ridley/Boyega were ALWAYS the co-leads).

Finally, his character was used as a misdirection plot-device, and none of those other characters were.
Finn isn't perfect we can all agree. But your making it like he's the new jar jar or something . All the characters have flaws breh let it go let's discuss what we think episode 8 will be

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL

He was top of his class as a marksman in his training. He is confident in his shot whether its with a blaster or turret on a ship.
And lets not act like he all he did was run, he caught like eight bodies and was holding his own against Ren

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
poe got his mind read by a sith - pretty much a sith mind trick. dude didnt intentionally just throw the info out to save himself. you moving the goalpost a bit

rey had problems with the falcon because she was fairly new to it, han came back to it and had problems too
let the monsters out to save han and chewbacca trying to save han from dying which it in turn did
no one is ignoring her running away from the lightsaber, we're actually using it to explain why her being the second coming of obi-wan 5 minutes later was ridiculous
she had to lose to move the story, she was out in the woods with a pistol he had a lightsaber and was at full force

it was stated that kylo was conflicted by kylo himself
hence him being emo,which in turn led to him being questioned by boss and coworker
no one can explain him losing that battle outside of him being wounded. that scene shouldve ended with the cliff seperating them but we all know Disney loves triumphant princess that they can milk for money out of young girls

The had flaws but they had skills. Finn had no skills at all. He was the ONLY person in the galaxy without one real skill. He had little tidbits of knowledge here and there but so did C-3PO.
He's able to be a gunner , can use a blaster ,use a light saber without the force and tidbit of info ? He gave them the plan to stop starkiller !!!also Rey's plan was to trap the Pirates not free the monsters she did that by .accident . And she clearly gets KO by Kylo to start the Finn /Kylo fight so reslly with no Finn she's dead or captured again . She wasn't Obi wan with the saber
This is the problem in your world you give Finn so little credit