Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
So what happens when a black poster says the exact same thing as me? What do you say to them then?
I say to them I disagree and keep it moving.

And I say to you black people aren't a monolith and because one or multiple agree with you doesn't mean your opinion is right. Just as multiple people disagreeing with you doesn't make them right either.

You can continue your conversation about the perfection of the Star Wars writing team unopposed as for the umpteenth time, I'm trying to leave the convo :salute:

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I say to them I disagree and keep it moving.

And I say to you black people aren't a monolith and because one or multiple agree with you doesn't mean your opinion is right. Just as multiple people disagreeing with you doesn't make them right either.

You can continue your conversation about the perfection of the Star Wars writing team unopposed as for the umpteenth time, I'm trying to leave the convo :salute:
*states opinion*

Your opinion doesn't matter because you're white :troll:

*several black posters agree*

Not all black people think the same, it doesn't make you right, I'm leaving the conversation now :troll:

Some of us have actually been trying to discuss the movie and then are interrupted by literally page long posts about Finn over and over and over and over, so sorry some of us are getting annoyed at this point

Tha Gawd Amen

Mamba Mentality
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang
I feel the problems with Finn is that he he doesn't face adversity with the same courage and cunning that we're used to seeing by characters in the Star Wars universe. I feel like they could've taken some of Rey's attributes and given them to Rey. Instead of being the "janitor," he could've been a mechanic and have some, if not all, of technical skills that Rey had, which in turn, would make him seem more significant. He could've been the one messing with the fuses on the Cargo ship and saved Rey by using the door controls.

All in all, it just felt like the balance of those "heroic" moments weren't evenly distributed because every character had a skillet that superseded Finn's. I feel like him and Rey should'very developed at the same rate, just branching paths.

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Let's change which one of characters was black, keep the story the same, and see how the critique would change :jbhmm:

Black Poe:
-goes to jail
-snitched
-saved by a white boy
-barely in the movie

Black Kylo:
-murderer
-angry
-can't control his rage
-pawn of the white man
-worships a dead white man
-subservient to Hux
-killed his daddy
-lost to a white girl

Black Rey
-slave
-parents abandoned her
-wasn't doing anything until that white boy Finn showed up and gave her purpose
-didn't know things Finn knew
-scared to carry a light saber
-natural athlete who picked up the force by instincts
-needs a white man to teach her how to use the force
-a black female lead emasculates/feminizes black boys who'll see the movie

These Tariq Nasheed types will find a good white supremacists angle in anything:lolbron:
:dead:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel the problems with Finn is that he he doesn't face adversity with the same courage and cunning that we're used to seeing by characters in the Star Wars universe. I feel like they could've taken some of Rey's attributes and given them to Rey. Instead of being the "janitor," he could've been a mechanic and have some, if not all, of technical skills that Rey had, which in turn, would make him seem more significant. He could've been the one messing with the fuses on the Cargo ship and saved Rey by using the door controls.

All in all, it just felt like the balance of those "heroic" moments weren't evenly distributed because every character had a skillet that superseded Finn's. I feel like him and Rey should'very developed at the same rate, just branching paths.
It's stated by in the novel that he was a top tier in training and showed great potential. You really start to see that potential in the fight with Ren, a Sith. Him working in sanitation at that base, it's more about him still being young and in training which is why he'll get low-level jobs.

Movie was better the second time around (watched it in 3D)

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel like they could've taken some of Rey's attributes and given them to Rey. Instead of being the "janitor," he could've been a mechanic and have some, if not all, of technical skills that Rey had, which in turn, would make him seem more significant. He could've been the one messing with the fuses on the Cargo ship and saved Rey by using the door controls.
Instead, they had him taking out storm troopers with guns and shooting TIE fighters out the sky using ship blasters.

He wasn't just a janitor, the first scene he's in, he's on a special mission with Kylo to take down an entire village.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw the movie wit my son and loved it. He loved Finn and cheered/laughed every scene he was in...now he wants all Finn's action figures lol

Personally I didn't like how we have another black "traitor" (i.e. see Lando) but I think Finn's role will be even bigger in the upcoming movies...the chemistry with him and Rey was huge. No way they just let that go. His backstory is much more rich and detailed than Rey's too, they could probably do half a movie on that alone. Notice how Kylo and Phasma knew exactly who he was. I also like how they portrayed Kylo as trying to live up to his grandfather's legacy but falling short. Them tantrums were real haha.
Finn wasn't really a traitor though. He was brainwashed since a child that the First Order were in the right and the Republic were the bad guys. It wasn't till his first mission where he saw unarmed civilians getting capped and his friend dying that he was lied to for years. Being a loyal person, he had a hard time dealing with it which is why he looks so distraught.

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Kylo Ren should had kept that mask on. :wtf: His reveal was way too early and damn dude behind the mask was not menacing looking at all. Or at least save the reveal when Han Solo told him to. That would had been much better.

I wish they would just gave Kylo Ren the Darth Maul treatment and just killed his character off. :camby: There's no coming back with those Ls he took from those rookies jedis. For a second time, they somehow found a way to fukk up a would be great villan. First Darth Maul, now Kylo Ren. When dude matrix that laser in the beginning, I thought redemption for what they did to Darth Maul
Without the mask he's not supposed to be menacing, he was a confused man who worships Vader and had daddy issues

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I wonder if there's a Guatemalan board where people are complaining about poe dameron's lack of screen time :troll:

Cacs see light skin and are "white well alriiight". I agree with the bruhs post in here bout the oppressors all being white makes the movie more menacing cause they are emotionless soulless Succubi.

I see a black chick in the 1st order and im like shyt at least she aint on republic welfare! And if Phasma had me jammed up i'd be fukkin with her complimenting how that ass look in chrome. Take dat helmet off becky let me see yo eyes

:shaq:

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

He learned how to be a gunner in two different kinds of ships quickly , he was the one who had to explain to Rey aboit the monsters ,( Rey thinking she knew everything accidentally opened the doors for the monsters and not sealed the Pirates as she wanted ) it was Finns plan to release poison gas on Han , it was Finn who told the resistance how to take down starkiller , he formulated a plan to save Rey ( in a Han soloish bullshyt way ) he decided to stay and fight even after seeing the FO use the starkiller , he fought Kylo ren with a light saber to save Rey , he turned on the FO and saved Poe .

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
He learned how to be a gunner in two different kinds of ships quickly , he was the one who had to explain to Rey aboit the monsters ,( Rey thinking she knew everything accidentally opened the doors for the monsters and not sealed the Pirates as she wanted ) it was Finns plan to release poison gas on Han , it was Finn who told the resistance how to take down starkiller , he formulated a plan to save Rey ( in a Han soloish bullshyt way ) he decided to stay and fight even after seeing the FO use the starkiller , he fought Kylo ren with a light saber to save Rey , he turned on the FO and saved Poe .
you know as I watched the film I was surprised to see his portrayal wasn't as horrible as expected and then I come to this forum and I am reading all these gripes about Finn :what: the real gripe is with poe's lack of screen time (which didn't bother me) and Rey overcoming everything with 0 adversity and just being perfect. Daisy did her thing but her character was hard to emotionally invest in

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
But-but-but he was in Sanitation! :troll: