Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

23Barrettcity

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
one scene i had forgotten about but remembered while reading through this thread, is when rey was fixing some shyt in their spacecraft early on, and was telling finn to pass some shyt like a space screwdriver :heh: and that dude couldnt even competently do that right.:what: its bad enough he is not a jedi or warrior, but they really wanted to push home the point that this dude was borderline useless and possibly a burden to that white girl :mjlol: .
It wasn't a space screwdriver he didn't know what the part was , she's a scavenger who repairs stuff he isn't . He knew about the monster on hans ship unlike Rey though . You guys just want to complain

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:jbhmm:Why would you assume he knows how to repair ships and why would you think less of him for not knowing about a random tool?

:jbhmm:Did you think less of Rey for not knowing that Tie Fighters can't track ships flying low to the ground?

:jbhmm:Did you think less of Rey for not knowing that Storm Trooper helmets can't block toxins?

:jbhmm:Did you think less of Rey for not knowing what the beasts on Han's ship were when Finn did?

So they both shared knowledge that the other was ignorant to. The knowledge coincided with their life experiences yet somehow you view the black man as a "useless burden" to his white companion. You've been conditioned:mjpls:

how many times did she ask finn to pass that space screwdriver though? she even pointed at it a couple of times if i remember correctly. did he tell her 5 times about helmet toxins or alien whereabouts?

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
He's dropped some gems about Star Wars thats opened my eyes a bit :ehh:
great tweets :salute:

I admit that I'm biased in this, because despite being black, growing up I never felt any way about racial representation in the media (though I have argued with people that race and gender based representation is very important for children and know that it's proven in academia) and still don't so I have that disconnect that may lead to me being wrongly dismissive.

:jbhmm: may? :jbhmm:

hollywood has a long, long history when it comes to black characters. you shouldnt be mad that other people would be more sensitive to it than you. @Dr. Narcisse edited his post for the sake of stopping the arguing but he listed one of the oldest examples.

even one of the modern day examples is having black presidents in disaster movies. some would say why are you mad they put a black president in the movie. others will say why are they doing it all of a sudden now when everything is falling apart in this movie world. its a small thing that plays on the subconscious of the viewer when they connect the two, but thats for another thread, if you even want to be willing to see that viewpoint

Mace windu existed there was a black Jedi
we are referencing a lead not a minor character with a high title.

Mace was imo a great character, he was on par with Yoda and made decisions without needing anyone's approval. He's also the only Jedi to legit defeat the Emperor (confirmed twice by George because :mjpls: fans wouldn't accept it).

He was established as of Episode I though, plus he was old. So while I'm not as anti-Finn as some of the brethren, bringing up Mace doesn't justify weakening Finn.

I think most stuff was fine, the lying/hesitance etc. Sanitation imo crossed the line a bit, maybe I'm too sensitive but they could've come up with sth else "funny".

It's telling that NONE of those racists who were complaining are still yapping, they all looked at the movie now and seem to be ok with how the black guy was portrayed :sas2:
yeah they are quiet now. coincidence, some feel not...
Overall I was happy with Finn (I had my issues) but Hollywood is rarely going to portray a black character in a completely satisfactory manner. Knowing this people wanted a perfect potrayal. Finn should be an ace pilot/jedi knight/ladies man in the first movie. Then we have a small segment who probably don't like any black characters they see (the Tariq Nasheed, "why Denzel gotta play a crooked cop", everybody is a c00n crowd). Combine all this and we're getting Finn critique non stop.
again i understand why people would be upset and want more out of their favorite franchise in 2015. we got an OP female lead i dont think its too much to ask for a stronger black lead (in the first of three movies since i know the common retort to this is trilogy). Overall i was happy with how he was acted and think his character has room for growth, but that doesnt mean i cant have opinions about how his character could have been changed or some small plot points which play to stereotypes could have been left out.

Last edited:

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Apparently, not knowing how to fix a ship makes him useless even though that scene occurred right after he took out a few tie fighters for the second time in the movie.

i know you not using rey doing mad complicated flying acrobatics with that spaceship to set finn up for the shot where all he had to do was press a damn button as an example of the dudes indispensability? that was one of those undermining scenes breh. by this point i was hip to the BS. as soon as he got his ass whooped by her i was hyper aware of the agenda.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Mace was imo a great character, he was on par with Yoda and made decisions without needing anyone's approval. He's also the only Jedi to legit defeat the Emperor (confirmed twice by George because :mjpls: fans wouldn't accept it).

He was established as of Episode I though, plus he was old. So while I'm not as anti-Finn as some of the brethren, bringing up Mace doesn't justify weakening Finn.

I think most stuff was fine, the lying/hesitance etc. Sanitation imo crossed the line a bit, maybe I'm too sensitive but they could've come up with sth else "funny".

It's telling that NONE of those racists who were complaining are still yapping, they all looked at the movie now and seem to be ok with how the black guy was portrayed :sas2:
But mace was hardly in the fukking movies :francis:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
:jbhmm:Why would you assume he knows how to repair ships and why would you think less of him for not knowing about a random tool?

:jbhmm:Did you think less of Rey for not knowing that Tie Fighters can't track ships flying low to the ground?

:jbhmm:Did you think less of Rey for not knowing that Storm Trooper helmets can't block toxins?

:jbhmm:Did you think less of Rey for not knowing what the beasts on Han's ship were when Finn did?

So they both shared knowledge that the other was ignorant to. The knowledge coincided with their life experiences yet somehow you view the black man as a "useless burden" to his white companion. You've been conditioned:mjpls:
a theme throughout the movie was playing up what he was ignorant at. he was the comedic relief so that goes hand in hand with that. some people didnt like it :yeshrug:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Also top the people talking about "we don't see racists complaining anymore "

I'm just really trying to think how much of p*ssy you have to be for that to even come into your head:ohhh:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps

What they don't really understand is that this complaining about stupid shyt, WHEN THE BLACK MAN DROVE THE PLOT, really just highlights their own insecurities.

These same guys will talk about how black men have to "be twice as good to get half of the respect" Ina white mans world.

Yet look at what they're doing

:mjpls: Indeed

Manuel Hot Pepper Lopez

cac this, cac that, c00n this c00n that
Daps
Reppin
-------------------------
This has been one of the worst threads on the Coli....as if we all know where the Finn character is going to end up at the end of the trilogy
It is too bad the "why wasn't Frosty the Snowman be black?" militants ruined the discussion

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
word. acknowledging the racism that exists around you is definitely a p*ssy move !:gladbron:
In this sense yep it's p*ssy. Y'all nikkas really gave a fukk that a few people didn't want to see a black man in a leading role that wasn't based on historical facts .:what:

I get it with the Egypt bullshyt

But this.

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
Saw the movie wit my son and loved it. He loved Finn and cheered/laughed every scene he was in...now he wants all Finn's action figures lol

Personally I didn't like how we have another black "traitor" (i.e. see Lando) but I think Finn's role will be even bigger in the upcoming movies...the chemistry with him and Rey was huge. No way they just let that go. His backstory is much more rich and detailed than Rey's too, they could probably do half a movie on that alone. Notice how Kylo and Phasma knew exactly who he was. I also like how they portrayed Kylo as trying to live up to his grandfather's legacy but falling short. Them tantrums were real haha.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
In this sense yep it's p*ssy. Y'all nikkas really gave a fukk that a few people didn't want to see a black man in a leading role.:what:
is it as p*ssy as giving a fukk that a few people disagree with how you feel about a character in a fictional movie :jbhmm:

or would you say its about as p*ssy as crying that "discussion is now ruined" :jbhmm: (even though it can still be had its just you all would rather continue to argue with people who obviously have a different viewpoint?)

personally i'd say the latter is slightly pussier (yeah i made that word up so what :dame:)