Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ

2zog9hh.gif

Just followed this dude off the strength of that.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
- Says random survey with no link
- Doesnt list who is number 1.
- Makes it seem like a Jedi can't be a real character
- Or is it a black Jedi cant be a real character
- Nah, lets just keep thinking there cant be a good black character thats powerful unless its in an awful movie.
:camby:

My issues were more so cause his character can be too cringeworthy at times and not as heroic as we were lead to believe/hoped. The tweets I posted (recently) sums up the ultimate disappointment for Finn not being a Jedi (as far as we know) :ehh:. Although that was addressed to teens, it made good points without being "militant"

Before those tweets I was just conscious of people in comments sections and threads pissed off at the bait and switch.

Totally forgot how many young kids were duped into thinking they'd see a Jedi that looks like them. Disney's marketing team have no idea how many young hearts they broke.

Box Cutta

Bumbling Sidekick
Daps
Reppin
Sanitation Department
Before those tweets I was just conscious of people in comments sections and threads pissed off at the bait and switch.

Totally forgot how many young kids were duped into thinking they'd see a Jedi that looks like them. Disney's marketing team have no idea how many young hearts they broke.
This movie pretty much *epitomizes* white feminism.

Like, it will, from here on out, be the greatest film example of it.

Mike Otherz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I can't see Kylo the way I once did after the second half of the movie tbh
I don't think any amount of training or supposed bad*ssery will be able to fix my perception of him now

rey emasculated so many dudes in this film........its a feminist masterpiece :blessed:..........

i was rooting for kylo ren at the end so bad to humble her:lolbron:

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
rey emasculated so many dudes in this film........its a feminist masterpiece :blessed:..........

i was rooting for kylo ren at the end so bad to humble her:lolbron:
tumblr does this shyt with every single movie,comic,video game with more than one lead, it's ridiculous

What is up with these people pushing the Finn/Poe relationship online as anything other than brotherly? I'm hoping it's just a Twitter/Tumblr thing. I understand that same sex couples don't have much representation in blockbusters so people online look for possible couples in movies but that's the last thing the character Finn needs for the next two sequels.

It's coming, just wait :lolbron:

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
What is up with these people pushing the Finn/Poe relationship online as anything other than brotherly? I'm hoping it's just a Twitter/Tumblr thing. I understand that same sex couples don't have much representation in blockbusters so people online look for possible couples in movies but that's the last thing the character Finn needs for the next two sequels.
You mean what's up with the very very veeeeeery minute amount of people shipping these two heterosexual men as a couple that you all are freaking out over because it's apparently your first exposure to slash fiction and shipping when this essentially happens to literally every TV show and movie?

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
They are talking about black childrens' reaction to this as if it was a vid of their mom on all fours in an alley. Like they are now scarred for life.

"Black children are different than other children. Seeing Finn not be a Jedi is keeping 50% of them out of college. Now they feel like they can't be a Jedi."

They can't tho.

If a kid came to me crying that he couldn't be a Jedi I would attempt to explain reality to him cause his parents skipped that and I might just spoil the Tooth Fairy for him right then too.

Don't look to Hollywood to raise your kids by giving them black Jedi. Look how stupid that sentence is.

What's next: they have to start 7 Jedi at the same time from all different races?

Not even saying people are flat out wrong about some of the images. I see it now that we are writing so much about it. I prolly would have never broke it down so far on my own tho. It's kinda like how they allow so many insects in produce. Under a certain number passes inspection. This movie had less than toxic levels of racist imagery. I would prefer "zero" but we don't even get "zero" racist images in TYLER PERRY movies.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
- Says random survey with no link
- Doesnt list who is number 1.
- Makes it seem like a Jedi can't be a real character
- Or is it a black Jedi cant be a real character
- Nah, lets just keep thinking there cant be a good black character thats powerful unless its in an awful movie.
:camby:

My issues were more so cause his character can be too cringeworthy at times and not as heroic as we were lead to believe/hoped
. The tweets I posted (recently) sums up the ultimate disappointment for Finn not being a Jedi (as far as we know) :ehh:. Although that was addressed to teens, it made good points without being "militant"
No offense but screw your hopes. This happens soooo many times in manga series I read where the fanbase will create their own narrative of what something is/should be and build up absurd expectations, so that when the actual thing comes they'll be dissapointed and take it out on the character or say the mangaka is trying to shyt on said characters when really you just built this up to disappoint yourself.
What do you mean by "not as heroic as we were lead to believe", I'm legitimately confused. Like what do you actually believe, other than the Jedi thing, that the trailers were leading you to believe about Finn's character that the movie pulled the rug out from under you on, and did you think or want them to give you a full picture of the character?
They are talking about black childrens' reaction to this as if it was a vid of their mom on all fours in an alley. Like they are now scarred for life.

"Black children are different than other children. Seeing Finn not be a Jedi is keeping 50% of them out of college. Now they feel like they can't be a Jedi."

They can't tho.

If a kid came to me crying that he couldn't be a Jedi I would attempt to explain reality to him cause his parents skipped that and I might just spoil the Tooth Fairy for him right then too.

Don't look to Hollywood to raise your kids by giving them black Jedi. Look how stupid that sentence is.

What's next: they have to start 7 Jedi at the same time from all different races?

Not even saying people are flat out wrong about some of the images. I see it now that we are writing so much about it. I prolly would have never broke it down so far on my own tho. It's kinda like how they allow so many insects in produce. Under a certain number passes inspection. This movie had less than toxic levels of racist imagery. I would prefer "zero" but we don't even get "zero" racist images in TYLER PERRY movies.
I admit that I'm biased in this, because despite being black, growing up I never felt any way about racial representation in the media (though I have argued with people that race and gender based representation is very important for children and know that it's proven in academia) and still don't so I have that disconnect that may lead to me being wrongly dismissive.
In fact I just had a discussion over this the other day in relation to an absurd amount of Harry Potter fans, black and white, arguing that book Hermione is a black girl or changing the way they always imagined her to a black girl, and I tried to be understanding but I don't get why people feel so strongly about it, well I get it, but it doesn't resonate with me.
(I support increasing racial diversity in new films like in this star wars, comic adaptations, and other thing's)
So when I see Finn I don't have this added massive weight where he has this expectation to live up to as a black man, but everything about him is just great in my mind no matter how hard I try to scrutinize him.
He's exactly the type of character Ive fallen in love with in my favorite series in archetype, and if I was a kid watching this movie he'd be my favorite just like he is now, and I don't see why black kids wouldn't admire him.
All this racial imagery that people are finding isn't racial imagery imo, I think people like Tariq are being hypersensitive about the movie and want to find aspects of Finn and Finn and Rey's relationship they can complain about.
The only thing I can buy, though it's not really in film imagery, is white female representation being made into a priority over black male representation.
I guess Finn should have just been Denzel-lite.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
If only we would have just agreed with what they said :mjcry:

If only we just abandoned our viewpoint because they didn't like it :mjcry:

Yeah they can get out of here with that crying. I said the reaction was overblown but I could understand being upset and they wasn't even having that :mjlol:

They trying to get people to apologize for wanting a black lead that fits and follows the basic hero outline the other two were afforded.

One of the kickers was when one of them saying the racists were just trolling :dead:

Bu bu but....CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT brehs.....

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Sanitation.

Unforgivable.

I don't give a fukk. These movies have a world-wide cultural impact....they did everything they could to boost womens rights, but didn't have the foresight not to call the only black character a garbage-man.

As far as being important to the story...time will tell. As of now, he has no force sensitivity, no ability to fly, no falcon, no droid, his jacket comes from another fukking character...the same character who also NAMED him, he's not taken seriously by anybody....and he's in a fukking coma.

Oh and the main girl that he had chemistry with, leaves him in the medical bay to go start the actually important storyline.

IQmaJL3.jpg

I'm tellin' y'all...Finn is the PIPPIN of this universe. An emasculated sad-sack comedy relief sidekick type. His story *is* going to be frustrating for anyone who has black-interests in mind.

I'm very concerned about what Marvel does with BP. After SW, it seems like we were all foolish to believe that Disney would actually place a prominent, respectable black character at the forefront of one of their movies. At this point...I can almost *guarantee* that BP will have *some* major caveat. It might be subtle, it might be hand-waved, it might not be apparent to those that only skim through movies...but it'll be there. There will be *something* that takes away from either his character or his kingdom.

Missed this post. Repped