Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Poe isn't han, he wasn't a stormtrooper in his first battle.

Poe is most definitely the new Han. He's the ace, confident, charismatic super pilot who's role will be larger in the next one :martin:

Why did it have to be Finn's first battle?, why couldn't he have been an experienced, competent and Elite Stormtrooper? similar to how Poe was an experienced, competent and elite resistance fighter who could fly X-Wings and destroy bases. Come on son you can't be this dense :WHAT!:

Last edited:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
GIF_star_wars_international_kylo_ren.gif

So many NSFW Gifs are going to drop because of this :heh:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Why did it have to Finn's first battle?, why couldn't he have been an experienced, competent and Elite Stormtrooper? similar to how Poe was an experienced, competent and elite resistance fighter who could fly X-Wings and destroy bases. Come on son you can't be this dense :WHAT!:
especially considering his elite training and supreme skill.....in the novels:sas2:

instead he went from supremely talented (in the novels) to ducking behind buildings when the lasers started flying:sas2:

but lemme stop tho...:sas2:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I can't see Kylo the way I once did after the second half of the movie tbh
I don't think any amount of training or supposed bad*ssery will be able to fix my perception of him now
that was my only problem with him breh :mjcry: he went from gully beating on himself like a G to catching an L from scavenger scum :camby:

that moment for me will be like bane going out like a punk in TDKR for many others

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
especially considering his elite training and supreme skill.....in the novels:sas2:

instead he went from supremely talented (in the novels) to ducking behind buildings when the lasers started flying:sas2:

but lemme stop tho...:sas2:

Novel sounds damn good to be honest. No BS. Might have to read it.:ehh:

Book is always better :sas1:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
that was my only problem with him breh :mjcry: he went from gully beating on himself like a G to catching an L from scavenger scum :camby:

that moment for me will be like bane going out like a punk in TDKR for many others

Naw it wasn't as bad as that. Kylo still got two more movies.
Bane caught 3 L's in a 5 minute span.

I was looking at the screen.

giphy.gif

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Was I the only one in the theater surprised at how much Finn seemed to know?

-Storm Troopers about to board the Falcon, instantly tells Rey to release the gas because their helmets can't block toxins
-knew what those beasts Han had on the ship were
-told Rey to fly low so the Tie Fighters couldn't use tracking
-knew the layout of Star Killers base and how to destroy it
-confidently gave tactics to the resistance in the war room (Akbar was :whoa:)
-quickly knew to capture Phasma to deactivate the shield
-quickly picked up gunning with a Tie Fighter and the Falcon

He showed he wasn't an ordinary trooper in terms of intellect. Combat was his only weakness. They still could have stated that verbally but you can pick up on this by his actions. It's why I left the movie loving his character.

Some people choose to ignore this though:mjpls:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
If he's an ace from jump it limits his development. Where does Poe's storyline go? He'll be a badass pilot that continues to be a badass pilot. There's no journey with him because he's already arrived. Once again you clearly missed the age difference between Poe and Finn. If Poe's character was his age he wouldn't be an ace.

Finn's character can go in any number of directions which is what makes him the most interesting.

We all agree that Rey is overpowered. There's still an obvious set up that she's going to struggle and take some L's next movie. They set her up to knock her down.

Rey doesn't take L's, Finn takes them for her.

Who knows (regarding Poe) but you damn well know they'll create something for him, Harrison wont be in the next one to eat the new character's screen-time.

So Finn couldn't have been an extraordinary and gifted trooper? :martin:

Setting up a rivalry between a Jason Bourne Finn type and Phasma could been :whoo: He evades her in 7 and then she comes back in 8 with a bunch of Elites. Like when Treadstone evolved to Blackbriar and went after Bourne :banderas:

Instead he's gonna wake up, ask for Rey's whereabouts and go and find her like a true simp :snooze:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
@wire28 @Jazzy B. writing some of this stuff on IMDB :russ:
- Rey is a skilled pilot in contrast to Finn, who can’t fly at all and needs her to help him get around.

- Finn doesn't know any languages besides English (Aurebesh), which was used to contrast him with Rey, who spoke Wookiee, "BB-8 droid" and whatever language that alien who had captured BB-8 spoke.

- Rey’s mechanical skills are contrasted with Finn’s lack of skills in this area when she requests a tool that he doesn’t know anything about. However, it’s further highlighted how unskilled he is when he can’t even find the VERY OBJECT she’s clearly pointing towards, and then he requires BB-8 to point it out for him.

- Rey’s quality Falcon piloting and mechanical skills (scene w/ Han) are contrasted with Finn’s buffoonery as he struggles to patch up Chewie in the back. (Strange how they reference Chewie choking Lando.) Chewie’s only shot in the arm in order to show off how skilled Rey is to Han.

- Finn was only (or mostly) given a lightsaber in order to hand it to Rey. He’s a lightsaber caddy. The one time he effectively used it was when he snuck up on an enemy. Every time he faced a prepared foe, he eventually got his butt kicked and required saving. This is in direct contrast to Rey, who not only defends herself effectively while fleeing Kylo, she actually bests him and lands a scar on his face.

- Finn’s early attempts to save Rey are thwarted to show how she doesn’t really need his help. The one time he directly saves her from an air strike, he ends up unconscious and looking foolish as he asks her if she’s okay after she wakes him up. The laughter had is at the expense of the character.

- While Rey appreciates Finn coming to rescue her on Starkiller Base, it’s really not necessary. Left to her own devices, she could’ve easily found a ship to pilot her way off the planet. Finn is ultimately there to get his butt handed to him before *BIG REVEAL MOMENT* Rey shows off her newfound skills with the lightsaber. Even the marketing PURPOSELY misdirected audiences with images of how awesome Finn looked with the saber. SMH.

- While Rey deeply cares about Finn, she definitely doesn’t obsess/fanboy over him like he does for her. She’s a strong, independent woman while he’s behaves more like a lost puppy with heart.

- I love Rey, but her skills and independence are heavily contrasted with Finn’s in order to make her look even better. She has or ends up with all sorts of useful skills (pilot, mechanics, awakened Force training, etc.) while he’s mostly just good with a blaster.

- A lot of Finn’s unskilled behavior are played up for laughs, like him being a sanitation worker or having trouble patching up Chewie. How often was Rey made the butt of the joke for laughs?

- The one time Rey made a mistake by releasing the monsters on Han's freighter, she ends up solving the problem herself and even needs to save Finn. Again.

- While Rey gets to begin the next leg of her journey with the Force, Finn is left unconscious with the Resistance. Also, she pretty much embarrasses him by “friend-zoning” him with a kiss on the forehead. I can't blame her though. Finn isn't the kind of guy most women are interested in.

- Rey’s not perfect, and Finn does have his moments, which are necessary for Rey to complete her journey. However, I can’t help but look at this collection of moments to see how Finn was made to look bad in order to highlight Rey’s awesomeness. It's no wonder why they spend so much time together. I just wish it wasn't so one-sided.

So, what do you guys think? While I still love Finn, the more I think about the details of this character in contrast with Rey, the more messed up it seems. Even if you remove the factor of race, it still makes him look mostly like a joke in order to make Rey look better. I don't mind Rey being more skilled than Finn. However, the contrast between the two is way too extreme.

Last edited: