Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
I agree with her but again to me that's bad editing and filmmaking on JJ's part and it's clear you can see there are story shortcuts. I just don't think what oh two are proposing makes him a stronger character :whoknows: I think his current arc or at least the arc of this movie is good as is. I don't need him to have bodies on him before he decides to stop doing it. Him stopping it before he even catches one works well enough for me. He's a good dude who manned up when he needed to. I don't need him to be James Bond or Han Solo and then get a change of heart. I've seen that movie before and I've seen that character before.

i think the arc is fine too. i said earlier (but i dont think you were around for the shyt show) that as set up currently he has tremendous room for growth. im just not giving them the benefit of the doubt. now could it be better? thats where we disagree which is cool. i think him being a loyal supreme bad ass and betraying them works a lot better when ren is like "it was FN-2187" and when he looks back at him when they are leaving jakku like :dahell:, and when the storm trooper mini boss calls him traitor and when phasma tells him to report and put back on his helmet, and when he tells phasma he is the boss now, and when ren calls him traitor at the end, etc. the act of betrayal is that much worse because it was someone so good and loyal but:yeshrug:

i guess we just gonna have to wait for episode 8 :troll:

or the next novel :troll:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You prefer safe fam :manny:

I'd rather he have experienced the shyt firsthand and it only adds more to the guilt and shame he feels later in the film. It only adds to why he's constantly lying throughout the movie. It only adds to ultimate showdown with Phasma.

So he's killed 100 people and decided he's had enough and stops before hitting 101? Might be a little too gritty for Disney.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
i think the arc is fine too. i said earlier (but i dont think you were around for the shyt show) that as set up currently he has tremendous room for growth. im just not giving them the benefit of the doubt. now could it be better? thats where we disagree which is cool. i think him being a loyal supreme bad ass and betraying them works a lot better when ren is like "it was FN-2187" and when he looks back at him when they are leaving jakku like :dahell:, and when the storm trooper mini boss calls him traitor and when phasma tells him to report and put back on his helmet, and when ren calls him traitor at the end, etc. the act of betrayal is that much worse because it was someone so good and loyal but:yeshrug:

i guess we just gonna have to wait for episode 8 :troll:

or the next novel :troll:

Well to me the act of betrayal works because again this is what they were bred to do. And to them anything else is uncivilized. They don't see the world any other way. The first order is the way to go and if this is all you've known then to them you're a traitor when you step out of line. To them it's an act of betrayal not to him and not to anyone else. Remember the sith see things as absolute.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
So he's killed 100 people and decided he's had enough and stops before hitting 101? Might be a little too gritty for Disney.
they didnt have to show that :martin:thats what dialogue is for (like an extra ten minutes beforehand saying how good he is or training or whatever [or i guess thats what the novel is for huh :troll: ] ) is for and killing the crowd of people after they captured poe and got what they came for could have been the last straw

edit: actually just five minutes before hand of phasma talking to him about the upcoming mission, just mentioning how good he is already handles the "supreme training" part and their faith in him and sets you up from then on out for the whole betrayal angle

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Ultimately, I think people like Boyega so much (in this movie) that they are just fine with character the way it is. :yeshrug:

Boyega is just that charismatic that you'll forgive certain flaws about his character.

I get that. Thats how I somewhat felt when walking out of theater. I think there is room for growth as well :manny:

Some of us don't think Finn is that great, others do. We ALL hope he kills it in the sequels though. So thats all that ultimately matters. :ehh:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Ultimately, I think people like Boyega so much (in this movie) that they are just fine with character the way it is. :yeshrug:

Boyega is just that charismatic that you'll forgive certain flaws about his character.

I get that. Thats how I somewhat felt when walking out of theater. I think there is room for growth as well :manny:

Some of us don't think Finn is that great, others do. We ALL hope he kills it in the sequels though. So thats all that ultimately matters. :ehh:

Or option C: some people are fine with it as is and Boyega's performance or charisma has nothing to do with it. I think he's a great character in the sense of I'd love to write him just like every new character they introduced in the movie

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps

The one Storm Trooper that defects (or at least that I know about) never killed anybody. They got toys to sell. I get it :manny:

Interested in seeing what Rian does with Finn in the sequels :patrice:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Or option C: some people are fine with it as is and Boyega's performance or charisma has nothing to do with it. I think he's a great character in the sense of I'd love to write him just like every new character they introduced in the movie
I said others think Finn is great breh.

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I said others think Finn is great breh.

No no I'm not saying he is great as in there's nothing wrong with him. I'm saying a great character and there's a difference. Like Bruce Wayne is a great character but he's clearly not always that good of a guy. He's an a$$hole, he's controlling, he's demanding and manipulative. But he's a great character. Finn is clearly a bright guy but still a kid, still finding his courage and clearly leaps before he thinks a bit too much. But those are things that make him a great character.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Seeing how Poe was already Han straight out of the box and right from the jump, why the fukk not? :mjlol:
yeah i dont understand why its so :mindblown: to have the bad ass pilot and the bad ass storm trooper but apparently we are all just coli militants that cant recognize the brilliant writing of the star wars team :yeshrug:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
No no I'm not saying he is great as in there's nothing wrong with him. I'm saying a great character and there's a difference. Like Bruce Wayne is a great character but he's clearly not always that good of a guy. He's an a$$hole, he's controlling, he's demanding and manipulative. But he's a great character. Finn is clearly a bright guy but still a kid, still finding his courage and clearly leaps before he thinks a bit too much. But those are things that make him a great character.
:jbhmm:im sure you'd say that depends on which depiction of bruce wayne
even nolans wayne in BB is different than TDKR.

some in here are actually more defensive about criticisms of finn than the people exploring ways the character could have been done differently

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
yeah i dont understand why its so :mindblown: to have the bad ass pilot and the bad ass storm trooper but apparently we are all just coli militants that cant recognize the brilliant writing of the star wars team :yeshrug:

You ain't wrong. Especially since I've already said there are plenty of editing issues and coincidences in the movie but JJ loves coincidences.