Star Wars The Force Awakens [SPOILERS] Thread: SPOILERS

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I don't think that would make it better for real. I think having a character, white , black, orange whatever, who gets his first taste of something he's been taught to do and bred to do since birth and basically a puppet, decide on his own to say fukk that and realize he's not with that life makes for a much stronger character and arc.

You prefer safe fam :manny:

I'd rather he have experienced the shyt firsthand and it only adds more to the guilt and shame he feels later in the film. It only adds to why he's constantly lying throughout the movie. It only adds to ultimate showdown with Phasma.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
thats dumb as fukk then because 10% of the people seeing the movie are actually going to read the novels. so they are just going to leave out little tidbits like the guy who doesnt want to fight having "supreme training" and assume people are going to read the novel?

:russ: You're 100% right but that's what Disney is doing. And they're all in on that shyt. Also you can tell there's a lot of things cut from the movie because a lot of things just happen. Like Ren learning the force very very quickly. Finn becoming much better with a saber the second time than the first etc

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County

I'd rather he have experienced the shyt firsthand and it only adds more to the guilt and shame he feels later in the film. It only adds to why he's constantly lying throughout the movie. It only adds to ultimate showdown with Phasma.

That's not safe. What you're saying adds nothing but just blood on his hands but that's not the character. He doesn't need blood on his hands. The fact that they were all bred as orphans to do this shyt and taught that the Jedi are evil and the resistance is evil means that his strength goes far far beyond being able to get his hands dirty. That's inner character shyt that he played beautifully. I'd say I could do without him being so unwilling to fight and ready to turn tail all the time but then to not have that would've undercut the moments where he went against that

CHL

Superstar
Daps
I mean was it explicitly stated they were clones in the OG trilogy? I think Kylo said something about enlisted troopers not being ass effective as clone troopers.
Yeah clones were phased out shortly after the Empire's rise.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
He's not a perfect character. Lawrence Kasdan said last week that none of the characters are fully formed and that they're growing into who they will be. In fact he said the only characters who should probably be fully formed are your bad guys because by nature they're resistant to change
well theres a difference between fully formed and writing flaws.

Rey being overpowered and winning non stop is a writing flaw. that has been discussed and compared to other female protags who have atleast experienced some sort of L like furiosa and katniss.

finn as written has flaws too but apparently not to some

i agree with the idea you set forth. and you could easily argue its more impressive if a guy that has been killing people mindlessly turns against the organization he has been loyal too. and again it would atleast give phasma some purpose since she was basically useless

Groot

Guarding the Galaxy
Daps
Reppin
Planet X
Star-Wars-The-Force-Awakens-John-Boyega.jpg

1_parallels_logo_RGB.jpg

latest

:mannygroot:

I am Groot?????

He's not a bad character. He's an average character, brought to life by a really good actor, who we got pump faked on into believing was the lead. That about sums it up :yeshrug:

@Groot has offered the best explanation of this as anybody. :manny:

umad.png

:grootcry:

:sasgroot:

We are Groot...

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
well theres a difference between fully formed and writing flaws.

Rey being overpowered and winning non stop is a writing flaw. that has been discussed and compared to other female protags who have atleast experienced some sort of L like furiosa and katniss.

finn as written has flaws too but apparently not to some

i agree with the idea you set forth. and you could easily argue its more impressive if a guy that has been killing people mindlessly turns against the organization he has been loyal too. and again it would atleast give phasma some purpose since she was basically useless

I agree with her but again to me that's bad editing and filmmaking on JJ's part and it's clear you can see there are story shortcuts. I just don't think what oh two are proposing makes him a stronger character :whoknows: I think his current arc or at least the arc of this movie is good as is. I don't need him to have bodies on him before he decides to stop doing it. Him stopping it before he even catches one works well enough for me. He's a good dude who manned up when he needed to. I don't need him to be James Bond or Han Solo and then get a change of heart. I've seen that movie before and I've seen that character before.

Sensitive Blake Griffin

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I agree with her but again to me that's bad editing and filmmaking on JJ's part and it's clear you can see there are story shortcuts. I just don't think what oh two are proposing makes him a stronger character :whoknows: I think his current arc or at least the arc of this movie is good as is. I don't need him to have bodies on him before he decides to stop doing it. Him stopping it before he even catches one works well enough for me. He's a good dude who manned up when he needed to. I don't need him to be James Bond or Han Solo and then get a change of heart. I've seen that movie before and I've seen that character before.
I was literally about to say, so basically y'all wanted Finn to be black panther or bond from the jump?

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
That's not safe. What you're saying adds nothing but just blood on his hands but that's not the character. He doesn't need blood on his hands. The fact that they were all bred as orphans to do this shyt and taught that the Jedi are evil and the resistance is evil means that his strength goes far far beyond being able to get his hands dirty. That's inner character shyt that he played beautifully. I'd say I could do without him being so unwilling to fight and ready to turn tail all the time but then to not have that would've undercut the moments where he went against that

Blood on his hands just sounds more plausible (to me) for his resistance to fighting later on. He's just had enough it and seen war up close. Then I could buy that it's Rey who suddenly makes him want to fight. S

Ultimately, I just didn't buy the motivation that much. :manny:

There were three things going into this movie we hoped for/knew

1. Either he was a former Storm Trooper. That sounded interesting because wow a bad guy just flipped and became a good guy.
2. He's the new Han? That means he has a sketchy past, in control and evolves over the film.
3. He's the new lead Jedi?

Maybe #3 happens in the sequels, but not this film. The new Han? Others see it. I don't. Way too scary and not confident to be Han. Han operated in the gray area. But again maybe I'm wrong on that.

So here we have this new interesting character thats a Storm Trooper who flips.

All I'm saying is I think it could have been done better. :yeshrug:

So we'll just agree to disagree fam. :manny:

MartyMcFly

Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Blood on his hands just sounds more plausible (to me) for his resistance to fighting later on. He's just had enough it and seen war up close. Then I could buy that it's Rey who suddenly makes him want to fight. S

1. Either he was a former Storm Trooper. That sounded interesting because wow a bad guy just flipped and became a good guy.
2. He's the new Han? That means he has a sketchy past, in control and evolves over the film.

Maybe #3 happens in the sequels, but not this film. The new Han? Others see it. I don't. Way too scary and not confident to be Han. Han operated in the gray area. But again maybe I'm wrong on that.

Han got there tho. Han wasn't fully formed that way something else Kasdan pointed out recently. Just like Luke wasn't who he became and he wasn't even close to that in a new hope. He went from being a whiny brat to a guy who's cool calm collected and stared down the baddest gangster in the galaxy

Groot

Guarding the Galaxy
Daps
Reppin
Planet X

8634831_orig.jpg

ba38e0dcec533a93825f71e97fb48422.jpg

:mjgroot:
:grootcry:

I am Groot...

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
still waiting on any feedback on finn as a character. as of page 44 he still is perfect

There still hasn't been one solid reason as to why Finn couldn't have been an ace, a boss, and the best in his field like Poe was from the jump? :mjlol:

It can't work with Finn/Boyega yadi yadi yada :whoa: bu-bu-bu it can work with Poe, Rey, Han and even the droid, FOH :mjlol: